And the results are in....

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, diabetes!
On Friday I had my first HbA1c since diagnosis and I phoned up today to get my results, and I'm down from 58 to 43!!! I'm chuffed to rocks with that! Cholesterol was down to 3 but, sadly, no information on HDL/LDL etc

I can honestly say that if I had not had such fantastic advise from the wonderful people on this forum I would not have managed such a dramatic turn around. Thank you all.

Just one question if I may, I was told (by the hugely qualified receptionist o_O) that I don't need another HbA1c for 12 months. Is this right?

Reactions: 8 people

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
Well done you it takes work to achieve these things. A big pat on the back from me

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
On Friday I had my first HbA1c since diagnosis and I phoned up today to get my results, and I'm down from 58 to 43!!! I'm chuffed to rocks with that! Cholesterol was down to 3 but, sadly, no information on HDL/LDL etc

I can honestly say that if I had not had such fantastic advise from the wonderful people on this forum I would not have managed such a dramatic turn around. Thank you all.

Just one question if I may, I was told (by the hugely qualified receptionist o_O) that I don't need another HbA1c for 12 months. Is this right?
Superb result. However, I wouldn't agree with your nurse. I would say HbA1C should be minimum of twice a year, mine is 3 or 4 times a year. Your results are superb but sometimes things/circumstances change and a year is a long time in Mr Diabets world :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
12 months is the norm unless your experiencing problems with your diabetes....which your not with your excellent Hba1c result :)

anniwoo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
beetroot, Simon Cowell and spiders

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Every 3 months actually....... :banghead:

Thanks Scandichic thats what I thought, I wasn't convinced the receptionist was the best person to be dishing out advise when I said I wanted my results and she replied "they're normal"................ :facepalm:

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Superb result. However, I wouldn't agree with your nurse. I would say HbA1C should be minimum of twice a year, mine is 3 or 4 times a year. Your results are superb but sometimes things/circumstances change and a year is a long time in Mr Diabets world :)

Thanks mo, think I'll be booking another one in June :)

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
12 months is the norm unless your experiencing problems with your diabetes....which your not with your excellent Hba1c result :)

Thanks noblehead, I think I'd rather have them more regularly for the first year at least :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks noblehead, I think I'd rather have them more regularly for the first year at least :)

Ask them, just say you would be more reassured if you were seen more regular in the first year.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Thanks Scandichic thats what I thought, I wasn't convinced the receptionist was the best person to be dishing out advise when I said I wanted my results and she replied "they're normal"................ :facepalm:

Very well done, I hope my next shows a comparable improvement!

I had to drag my full blood test results out of my surgery, first time was like your experience, they just respond to the ones in bold that are out of 'normal' levels. Then after I'd been on here a day or two I asked for more specifics and got an HbA1c number for the first time. Then I got more assertive and demanded the full print outs. But they wouldn't have given me them voluntarily. And they wonder why we get cynical ...

Rod

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
Just a thought did you know receptionists are not allowed to give out results other than "all normal" if you want more info your gp or diabetic nurse should discuss them with you if asked

CaptArtichoke

We

nice work. You should get a MyStar extra so you can have an estimated hba1c between your appointments.

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Very well done, I hope my next shows a comparable improvement!

I had to drag my full blood test results out of my surgery, first time was like your experience, they just respond to the ones in bold that are out of 'normal' levels. Then after I'd been on here a day or two I asked for more specifics and got an HbA1c number for the first time. Then I got more assertive and demanded the full print outs. But they wouldn't have given me them voluntarily. And they wonder why we get cynical ...

Rod

Fingers crossed for you! I hadn't even thought of asking for the print out, I went in and asked for it and was treated with a degree of suspicion!! Got it in the end though.

brilliant!!! well done :) keep up the good work

Thanks Andy, keep up the good advice :)

Just a thought did you know receptionists are not allowed to give out results other than "all normal" if you want more info your gp or diabetic nurse should discuss them with you if asked

No I didn't know this, maybe then GPs or DSNs should phone us with our results?

nice work. You should get a MyStar extra so you can have an estimated hba1c between your appointments.

I like the sound of that, but, I've found my iBGStar reads high so I'd be concerned about the accuracy? Do you use one and is it relatively accurate?

The reason it is every three month as that is how long it take to replace all your blood

Yes, the life cycle of blood cells is 30-90 days. Interestingly, 50% of your HbA1c score is generated in the last 30 days.....

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
We

My doc wants to see me again in 3 months time....
Depends on how conscientious your doc is!