Dietician Stumped!!

A

AnnieC

As anyone will tell you on here it is all trial and error to find out what you can eat that does not raise your levels to much we are all different. Just keep using your meter and this will soon tell you what you can eat or not without spiking. To start try cutting out the obvious starchy carbs..bread rice pasta and root vegetables and see how you go then you can start testing for other foods. Good luck

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Hi I do lower carb , try to stick to under 120 /100 grams.
A bowel of cereal makes my sugars shoot up. Try having weight watchers frommage frais (4g carb) .berries and a dessert spoon of a sugar free muesli , delicious and filling.
There are loads of posts about low carbing on here.
I am pretty well controlled , had a meeting with the dietician and disagreed with her, she couldn't argue with me because of my blood results.
I think the problem is that they don't seem to get the fact that type one and type 2 are very different conditions and need different advice. The other thing they don't get is that one size doesn't fit all , we are all different and our bodies react differently.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Julie Jazz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry I haven't responded sooner - haven't logged in for some time. Just wanted to say thanks all for the replies. A lot to think about but I am getting there. Still some very strange readings though.
Yesterday was a reasonably good day - UNTIL - 4.9 (lowest ever!) before my evening meal at 8:30 after a 30 min bike ride. Had cold chicken with tomatoes cucumber and lettuce followed by 1 Rich Tea biscuit. 2 hours later 10.5. WHAT!!??
Given up on cereals now.
Julie

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cereals shoot my blood sugar up higher than potatoes. No idea why. Pasta is slow release, but is at its worst at 4 hours. Certainly the carbs listed in your original post would have been far too much for me.

Re your high readings after the cycle ride - there's another thread active at the moment about high glucose reading after exercise (salsa). It has some very interesting info in it that you may find useful.

And congrats on the weight loss!