Morning blood sugar

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Turvell, my bloods were exactly the same when I started low-carbing: normal all day but nothing could shift my 6+ morning readings. Then a new consultant questioned whether I was really T2 (apparently any T2 diagnosis with normal body weight was being re-checked) and investigated MODY. I now have a diagnosis of mitochondrial diabetes, a common feature of which is co-enzyme Q10 deficiency. I was put on coQ10 and my morning bloods miraculously became normal!

To be honest I don't know the mechanism by which coQ10 affects BS, but it worked for me. Even if you don't have weird mitochondrial diabetes, it might be worth trying coQ10 if you're on statins, as statins interfere with your body's natural production of coQ10.

Kate

What test did you have to do to check for coQ10 deficiency?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

lynnet

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the interesting comments. I am still waiting for suggestions for how to lower the morning high BS of 6.3. I would be grateful to hear what other people do.

Reactions: 2 people

turvell

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
been type 2 and the fact i get no sodding help from the NHS at all
Well I'll be ******** if I know :( but it's not all the time so I'm not going to worry to much

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I seem to be able to make my morning blood sugar go up or down as I please to some extent. To lower it I have no carbs at all after 4pm. This is an arbitrary time that I originally chose and it may be different for other people. My blood sugar levels will rise if I drink wine or eat carbs in the evening.

The really interesting bit is that when lowering it, it goes down by anything between 0.1 and 0.5 mmol/l per day and it will continue to do this for a number of days until it bottoms out at around 4.*. When I make it go up it is quicker. Although I don't really know why it works like this I have assumed that low carbing must be maintained for a few days to empty the gut of carbs.

Here is one of the runs I did last September. Each reading is a morning reading. I did six such tests. They all worked. The lowest reading I achieved was 4.8. The highest was 8.3

Well, it works for me and that is all I am going to claim.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My fasting levels are now usually between 4.9 and 5.9, occasionally 6.0-6.3 (amount of sleep I get seems to be a factor for me) and only if I am ill will they be higher, a chest cold can push me up to 8.0. - not sure if that the infection itself or the fact I cannot exercise once it gets into my chest.

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Just surprised me as was 3.6 last night
So did you have a snack before bed? If not then maybe your liver dumped some glucose into your system. I often have 6s first thing and am ok with that..... Considerably better than the + 12s it used to be :). You're doing great turvell !

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
What test did you have to do to check for coQ10 deficiency?

Just a blood test. What alerted the doctor was that I was put on statins and reacted really badly: combined with a history of diabetes and early stroke it added up to enough symptoms of a mitochondrial diabetes syndrome to start checking.

But it would be easy to check for yourself: just buy some coQ10 capsules and take them for a few days. As soon as I started, my fasting BS dropped, my muscles stopped aching and I stopped feeling sleepy after lunch. On about day 5 I forgot to take the capsule and by the afternoon developed a splitting headache, which went away within an hour of taking the capsule. You could try the same and see if it helps, then go to the doctor armed with the results and ask for a prescription.

Kate

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I find this CoQ10 stuff very interesting as it is new to me. I find that taking Milk Thistle - a liver tonic- makes my fasting figures normal. I take 30 drops twice a day. I also agree that if I am ill my numbers can go up to 8 and there is nothing ytou can do about it until the cold or whatever has gone!!

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
flaxseed-almonds-brazil-nuts-walnuts-co-enzyme-q10.jpg

i have this on my yogurt and berries and it contains that stuff your talking about

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
Fasting Levels:
  • Normal: 4.0 to 5.9 mmol/l (70 to 107 mg/dl)
  • Prediabetes or Impaired Glucose Glycemia: 6.0 to 6.9 mmol/l (108 to 126 mg/dl)
  • Diagnosis of diabetes: more than 6.9 mmol/l (126 mg/dl)
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

If you stick to 4s and 5s, you are in safe territory. The odd reading about 6 like your current 6.5 could be anything, including meter inaccuract, which is plus or minus 10%. In addition, if your liver has just given you a shot of extra fuel, it takes nearly 1 hour for it to be evenly spread in the blood and if it is under 30 mins, you can get high variations between fingers, because of the way blood circulates. If I ever get an unexpected reading, I test on other fingers. I can have a 6.5 in one and a 5.3 in another and a 5.5 in yet another. Testing 30 mins after that and things are more even.
Ahh good. I'd gotten all confused again. It happens a lot to me. This is just the info I needed.

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
flaxseed-almonds-brazil-nuts-walnuts-co-enzyme-q10.jpg

i have this on my yogurt and berries and it contains that stuff your talking about
Oooh now that is something I should be having. I'm getting so tired of having to eat regularly.

martinsk8r

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Gliklazide.
Trying to get a dive medical.
Just to add some more figures to this thread.
I am type 2 and my morning readings were 11 - 14.5 even after fasting. HbA1c 9.7. For this Test I measured 11 at night and 12.5 in the morning of fasting HbA1c test.
I am now on insulin Humalin M3 and up to 12 units now. My readings are now around 10 and coming down after 1 week on insulin.
Anyone else recognise these levels or am I just a freak?

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was also getting 6+ in the morning but my new regime of taking my Chromium picolate 2 x 200 + 1 500mg Magnesium + 30 drops of Milk Thistles tincture at night, before bed, rather than during the day I believe is what has brought it down to 5.3 every morning for the past week!! I even tested during the day to check my meter had not got stuck :) I am still on a low carb/low GI diet and exercise a lot. I think this has also worked for my sister in the last couple of days since I told her about it.