Newly diagnosed type 1 (or type 2??)

Jess85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

I've been holding back from posting on forums, I'm new to all of this and very nervous. Not sure what I'm looking for, I don't think anyone has THE answer, but advice/support from people 'in the know' would be wonderful. Apparently in the words of my GP I'm a confusing case. I went to see my GP January this year after about 3-4 months of extreme thirst, having to nip to the toilet nearly every hour (6 times during night) and rapid loss of weight (I've lost 3 stone so far) Extreme tiredness too. I put all this down to moving house initially, but things never changed. My GP tested my urine, which tested ++++ glucose! bloods came back at 20. She immediately said type 2 prescribed me metformin and gliclizide and off I went. I decided to buy my own bg monitor and tested at home, discovered I was having about 2 hypos a day (3.0-3.4 normally). Called back for GAD test, which came back as negative, even although this has returned as negative, My GP now thinks I'm type 1 in the honeymoon period, stating that I don't quite fit the bill for type 2... I'm 28, female, 5ft4, no significant family history of diabetes, never been overweight (cholesterol checked and fine).... Has anyone been in a similar situation?

I'm now waiting to be seen at our diabetic clinic. I'm anxious and I don't know what to expect/ask.

Anything from advice or a simple "hello" would be great, I'm extremely shy and not sure if I've worded everything right, but I'll get there!

Thank you for reading :)
Xx

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey don't worry your in the right place :)

Type 1 diagnosed 1990
HBa1c current 8.3
Pump and CGM used (animas vibe)

Reactions: 2 people

elvis the cat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi jess when I was diagnosed it was very early on in my diabetic journey Drs thought I could be type 2 only after around a year it was decided that I had type 1 . both my mum & sister were type 1 so family history repeated it's self . about ur appointment just take a deep breath walk in and ask what u need to do , ask them to explain everything twice . , take someone with you that can explain afterwards anything u did not remember .
:)

Jess85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks everyone :) looking forward to getting to know you all. Having a good look back at all the threads, lots of really useful/interesting info.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
Hi and welcome,
similar happened to me , i was really ill so popped to lloyds for a test, it was 15mmol, was told i had type 2 most likely as i was 32 yr old and no family history,
was awaiting a GTT test 2 week later but in the meantime got iller and bought myself a kit,blood was in late 20s so rang gp who told me to go to a&e, i had lots of ketones and was very unwell, i then got a type 1 diagnosis;)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I followed a similar pattern but much older. I also had a negative GAD but my c-peptide showed I had very little insulin. It sounds like you are a Late onset T1 as your young age and low weight are very strong indicators. The Gliclazide may work for a while and Sitagliptin may also help a bit but I suspect you will need to move to insulin over the coming years. Don't worry though it is quite easy and usually painless and nice to be able to eat fairly freely. BTW do keep the carbs down to help.

K

Kat100

Hello there Jess, hope you get to know which type you are....it is good to know you are seeing your diabetic team .....x