metformin. can't do it anymore

Morganator

If your worried about your Dad missing doses there is a device that my Mum was given that dispenses her tablets 4 times a day and the only way to turn the noise off is to tip out the tablets. I got it through the District Nurses and it just needs someone to take it to the chemist once a week to refill. It can also be hooked into the Telecare alarm system so if the tablets are not taken out they would phone your Dad to remind him.
Ask at his local Social work office as the system covers alarm pendants and other sensors which would give your Dad independence and yourself peace of mind.

Sent from my HTC Desire C using DCUK Forum mobile app

monster54

Thanks that sounds super sophisticated system!!

At the moment the daily, am,pm,night boxes are working. He takes the days tablets out of the larger box and has it by his chair.

He is very hard of hearing so I'm unsure if a phone system would truly work.

I will speak to the Social Office about an alarm though. That would be beneficial.

Does any one else have any idea if 6 tablets of metformin is too much?!?

Thanks,

M x

Morganator

The system works through the phone line but has a small unit like a speakerphone so the person at the other end can shout if necessary (my Mum is hard of hearing too) it means that if the alarm has been triggered then your Dad could speak to them without having to get to the phone and picking it up.
About the metformin, I take the SR version and my Mum taken the regular and in both cases the maximum dose is 4x500 mg a day.

Sent from my HTC Desire C using DCUK Forum mobile app

pr126

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just changed over from 2 x 500 mg Metformin per day to 1 x 500 mg Glucophage SR per day.
What a difference!

Glucose levels are still good, (HBA1c 50) and feeling so much better. :thumbup:

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
I wasn't warned of the terrible side effects of taking Metfartin when I first started. I had to visit the loo several times a day and on quite a few occasions ran up the stairs and only just made it.
I was put on Metfartin slow release and I feel much better on that.
Glad you changed to another meds.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Dr Zordas

I have always had trouble with this stuff. Even now while taking the SR variant. Diabetic Nurse doesn't seem to listen and doctor is not much better, he just says 'oh, you must take it - it has many benefits...'. He couldn't answer when I asked him if he would take a handful of laxatives before jumping in his car.

My insides were once again turned to 'water' yesterday, and trying to turn off a busted tap is no fun, indoors or out. So enough is enough for me now. No more of this vile medication.

Reactions: 2 people

rimroller26

I have always had trouble with this stuff. Even now while taking the SR variant. Diabetic Nurse doesn't seem to listen and doctor is not much better, he just says 'oh, you must take it - it has many benefits...'. He couldn't answer when I asked him if he would take a handful of laxatives before jumping in his car.

My insides were once again turned to 'water' yesterday, and trying to turn off a busted tap is no fun, indoors or out. So enough is enough for me now. No more of this vile medication.
Hi, I'm T2 diet control last HbA1c 7.4%. DR gave me 500 Metformin 1 to be taken daily. After 4 days I was flat out in bed with stomach cramps etc. No longer taking them. Dr says to review after my June blood test. What other pills are available?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a supplement called berberine that apparently has a similar effect to metformin, apparently without the GI side effects. There are two opposing opinions about it though - Jenny Ruhl who is a BG expert and author of the book and website Blood Sugar 101 (and a supplement sceptic) doesn't rate it very highly, mainly because of the unregulated nature of the supplement industry in the USA. The other viewpoint is argued by the Drs Nadolsky who produce a supplement called Glycosolve and claim their supplement is both ethical and safe. If you want to read more you can check out this link:

http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/glycosolve-makers-respond-to-concerns-over-berberine/20323

I figure it's best to have both sides of the story if you're thinking about using it. It's certainly crossed my mind a few times since finding out metformin isn't an option for me any more.

Last edited by a moderator:

paganess03

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
:thumbdown: :cry: :cry: . I just cant handle taking metformin any more . It makes me feel ill . I dread taking it . It also has the awful side affect of Diarrhea I just cant bring myself to take it any more. I would have loved to have been able to post this anonymously as its very embarrassing but here goes . I have severaly times lets call them accidents all be it on a relatively small scale. And the added danger of metformins windy ways adds somewhat of a Russian roulette eliment to the day . However last nigh I went out to a reesteraun and had a very nice meal every thing fine but when I arrived home with family in car as I exited the carbthe unthinkable happened and not on the small scale of previous disasters. I had to run into the house and into the bathroom not because i still needed to go but because i didnt want anyone to see me like that . What if it had happened when riseing from my meal at the restaurant. Or even at work (I dont think I could go back in). I have now not taken metformin since yesterday and I dont think I can face taking it again EVER!!. I am going to try and talk to either the nurse or dr today and either get put on somthing elses or just stop taking it all together. I think I would rather run higher than take it. I realise that this is a disgusting subject unfortunately it is something that is making my life a misery. And guidence would be appreciated. Sorry for any upsetncaused by reading this thread.
Hiya, I sympathise with you, I'm just out of hospital due to metformin,I felt awful on them and they ran the stomach out of me so much i was dehydrated, and because of the dehydration i now have low blood pressure, if i were you i'd ask for a change of meds, they've now got me on gliclazide and so far so good.

Goodluck

Shelley

hedgepiggle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
:thumbdown: :cry: :cry: . I just cant handle taking metformin any more . It makes me feel ill . I dread taking it . It also has the awful side affect of Diarrhea I just cant bring myself to take it any more. I would have loved to have been able to post this anonymously as its very embarrassing but here goes . I have severaly times lets call them accidents all be it on a relatively small scale. And the added danger of metformins windy ways adds somewhat of a Russian roulette eliment to the day . However last nigh I went out to a reesteraun and had a very nice meal every thing fine but when I arrived home with family in car as I exited the carbthe unthinkable happened and not on the small scale of previous disasters. I had to run into the house and into the bathroom not because i still needed to go but because i didnt want anyone to see me like that . What if it had happened when riseing from my meal at the restaurant. Or even at work (I dont think I could go back in). I have now not taken metformin since yesterday and I dont think I can face taking it again EVER!!. I am going to try and talk to either the nurse or dr today and either get put on somthing elses or just stop taking it all together. I think I would rather run higher than take it. I realise that this is a disgusting subject unfortunately it is something that is making my life a misery. And guidence would be appreciated. Sorry for any upsetncaused by reading this thread.

hedgepiggle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have only been on metformin for 5 weeks in all that time have had really bad stomach pains really bad wind I spoke to my dn but she refused point blank to change me to the sr ones it's my sons wedding in two weeks time and I'm dreading how my stomachs going to be like I was wondering would it be ok to miss taking it for a couple of days before

I've just had my Metformin changed to slow release one have to say it's much much better.

hedgepiggle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had the same problems but was changed to slow release metformin and have to say so far so good. Much better

joanAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Extraneous noise (mobile phones in quiet carriages), tattoos especially on females. Increasing arthritis in hands.
I started with gliclazide which did not agree with my insides, so was moved onto metformin. I 'lived' with very frequent bouts of cramps, diarrhoea, excess wind etc and after nearly a year Dr said that I could now go onto SR Metformin (more expensive to prescribe) because I had proved that other medication did not work for me. I have found it much better, and hope they will continue to prescribe. Over age 76 now, so it might not be 'cost effective'.

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
....I had metformin when first diagnosed and experienced the same problems as many, then diet controlled, then on metformin SR 500mg 2 daily the last year....I was very worried about going on them due to how they affected me before but I'm fine with the SR version, couldn't believe the difference so give them a go if they're suggested, anyone who may be wary of taking them...

....Cocacola I'm laughing at you calling them metfartin....:p

SAFC56

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bad table manners.rudeness
Hi, I was on Metformin then Glucophage but had same awful side effects with both. GP has now changed me to Glicazide and Januvia with no side effects after two months ...and BG's are much better

flashy158

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
1 week on glicazide and all side effects gone, starting to live a more normal life now, 500 rolls of Andrex for sale....lol

Fussipuss

I was on Metformin and suffered for years with the stomach cramps and the toilet troubles. I then met a lady who was taking Byetta, this is a twice a day injection before meals. I started on this just over a week ago and it has been brilliant for me. I used to get blood sugar levels of between 20 and 30, they are now down to between 8 and 12. I know there are side effects from injecting but they seem (for me) to be less than Metformin.

Michelle x

Mad Rach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was on the slow release from the start. I suffered the painful gut and nuclear explosions, luckily it only lasted a few weeks and not every day thankfully. I found I was worse when eating greasy foods such as fish and chips, ( I avoid them now!), I also make sure I have eaten before taking the tablet. Speak to your doc or nurse. I'm sure all will settle down in due course.

cairnlady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Someone mentioned that they had been changed from Metformin SR. to Glocuphage, well I used a different chemist and am still on Metformin SR but they are called Glocuphage whereas before they were Metabet? So do not think the tablets are any different just different manufacturers.
Still have stomach pains and bouts of the runs!

Romeran

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks guys,

You all seem to be on a lot lower does than my dad should I question this?

He's on metformin 500mg 6 tablets a day? Will this hinder me getting the medication changed?

M x
I have always been given to understand that no more than 4 tablets of regular Metformin should be taken each day.