Feeling lonely and scared

Scotty84

Hi,
I have been type 2 for 1 year and am struggling to cope and just feel like no one understands me. I feel great physically and have lost 4 stone but also still get 16-20 mmol aswell as levels around 8 without medication. I'm going to try the Newcastle diet but let my doctor know before hand .

I know this sounds stupid but I am just looking for friends who know what I am going through and maybe if anyone has reversed there diagnoses

Many thanks scott

Reactions: 4 people

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
Hya Scott,
welcome,
im type 1 so cant reverse my diagnosis but i certainly know what its like being diabetic:)

Scotty84

Hi mate,
How did u feel in your first few months of diagnosis ? I'm finding everything so scared because I'm only 29 so feel like all the complications that are spoke of are going to creep up on me eventually. That's what scares me

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Join the gang and welcome - we all know what you feel like as we all are, or have been, in that very same place.

Try to think positive, you've done extremely well with your weight loss so using the same dedication you should be able to do the same with your glucose levels. I assume you've got a meter since you know what your levels are, so are you taking note of what is causing the high readings? Keep a food diary if necessary, and then you can avoid whatever's causing the spikes. And good luck with the Newcastle diet - I believe several others are on this one too, so you'll hopefully be able to give each other moral support.

Robbity

Reactions: 4 people

Mark James

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
not eating food, or drinking
Hi Scott i was diagnosed the beginning of December with a reading of 10.4 6 weeks later i had another test and my hba1c had come down to 6.5, my blood glucose for the last 90 days is an average of 5.8 with a total of over 3 hundred tests. I dont take any medication and try to control by diet only, i no longer eat bread rice pasta or any other starchy carbs, i try to eat well all the time and just try to get my levels as low as possible, my morning readings are the worst they average between 5,8 and 6.5, 2 hours after breakfast they are usually around 5.2,
Nothing you do will be stupid if it helps control your condition, i too worry about complications but if they do ever come it will not be my fault because i will try my hardest to control my condition, dont be afraid to try things and you will find something that works for you. I really do understand your fears when i first got diagnosed i though about driving my van into a bridge i spoke to my missus about this and she gave me some good advice she said you have never let anything beat you in the past why start now, i thought about this and i now think sod you diabetes i will win and believe me i will try my hardest, i suppose what i am trying to say is your not alone with your fears but if you try your hardest to control your condition i am sure you will be ok, its no good thinking if only.

best of luck mate

Mark

Reactions: 7 people

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Going on your age Scott and the fact that you have lost a lot of weight, maybe you are not a Type 2 at all. You may be LADA or slow onset Type 1. The Newcastle Diet may not be right for you.

paganess03

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Scotty, I feel your pain, I'm only diagnosed 5 weeks ago and already landed in hospital due to high blood glucose,low blood pressure and dehydration, (caused by metformin) I feel this is the beggining of a nightmare..

Shelley

deebie_newbie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people.
people not willing to change.
Hi Scotty, I feel your pain, I'm only diagnosed 5 weeks ago and already landed in hospital due to high blood glucose,low blood pressure and dehydration, (caused by metformin) I feel this is the beggining of a nightmare..

Shelley

Dogbutler

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi Scotty,
Sorry to hear that you're in a bad place at the moment, think that at some point most of us have been there with this pain in the **** condition.

But if you really think about it, it's pointless worrying about what might happen in the future.

Anything can happen to anyone at any time.
If we spend our time predicting what might happen in the future, all we do is waste our present.

I spent decades worrying about what might or might not be and where did it get me?
Absolutely nowhere - and looking back (also to be avoided if poss!) I just spoiled what should have been the best years of my life.

I am more than twice your age and I'm horrified to think that you are taking the same rocky road that I took. Turn around now and start enjoying what you you have in the here and now.

Scotty, don't let fear of what might be ruin what is.

All the best

Reactions: 5 people

deebie_newbie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people.
people not willing to change.
Poor Shelly. The metformin makes me feel like rubbish. Scotty, just take one day at a time. Be gentle with yourself. Well done on the weight loss. How did you manage 4 stone? X

scoyyt57

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi don't let the worry of complications get you down. I have had diabetes for 50 years and am pretty much complication free (very slight background retinopathy in my left eye which could have gone by the time I have my next eye check.)

You'll find lots of support (and info on) these forums xx

Reactions: 5 people

Mazzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Scotty, I felt very lonely and scared when I was first diagnosed in February this year, and the thought of all the complications absolutely terrified me. However, I joined this forum and have not looked back, I have lost 19lbs in weight and my blood glucose levels are are between 5 and 6.5 most of the time. There are many people on this forum who have had diabetes for a very long time, which just goes to show that as long a you keep your level under control there is less chance of complications. I do not feel lonely and scared anymore, I feel confident and positive about the future. There is plenty of advice and lots of lovely people to help you out if you need it.

Well done with your weight loss, thats an excellent start, but do have a look round this site and read other forums and its amazing how much you will find out, so don't dispair you are not alone. keep your chin up mate;)

Marilyn

Reactions: 2 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Scott,

I've had it since I was 8. That was about 37 years back... The boogeyman of complications has been instilled from the word go..
Scare tactics from my mother to keep me on the straight & narrow of diabetes control... "I met this girl who's kidneys had packed up." This. " there was this teenage lad that went blind". That. My mum could have written stories to rival Steven King!

I don't claim to be the model D.. Mistakes I've made a few.. But then again... I've pretty much done it my way..

Lucky I guess, so far the horror stories haven't come true for me..!
I aim to keep it that way... There is some great advise on here from peeps who have been at this lark for a fraction of the time I've had it.
Time for me to rethink my strategy & see if I can rack up another 37 years out of it..!!

I wish you all the best with yours....

Reactions: 6 people

mysterylady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
I have been type 2 for 1 year and am struggling to cope and just feel like no one understands me. I feel great physically and have lost 4 stone but also still get 16-20 mmol aswell as levels around 8 without medication. I'm going to try the Newcastle diet but let my doctor know before hand .

I know this sounds stupid but I am just looking for friends who know what I am going through and maybe if anyone has reversed there diagnoses

Many thanks scott

Hi scotty
That's a great achievement to lose 4 stone in a year to lose that amount of weight shows that your determined to beat this and im sure you will
what kind of diet did you go on I was first diagnosed 3 years ago I felt fine but woke up one morning and both my big toe nails were black I thought how the heck have a managed that at first I thought id hurt it at work but thought I couldn't have hurt both toes so I googled it and it said check for diabetes so that's why I went doc did blood test and said its very high and ordered fasting test I went back he said your diabetic gave me a few leaflets and off I went I wasn't asked to go back for any tests the only info I got was what I googled my self I went on a lite n easy plan where they deliver your food each week I stayed on it for 9 months and lost 18 kilos felt great and saw a diff doc at the surgery he ordered blood tests and when they came back he said your blood results are good I said well am I diabetic or not what do I say if im asked he said id say your not so im assuming the diet I was on plus the weight id lost reversed it
sadly 2 years down the line and two ops later has led me to put the weight back on and have now been diagnosed with diabetes again there actually sending me to a dietician this time and have told me all the things it can affect which is a bit scary
ive been trying so hard this last 2 weeks to stop eating all bread potato rice n pasta but my blood tests haven't changed much at all
I think this is what makes it so frustrating its like food is our enemy now
have you been able to ask your doctor why are the blood tests so high when your obviously doing so well eating healthly
theres lots of people im sure on here who will be there for you and to help you through your low days
take care
michelle

Scotty84

Hi all,
Thanks for your messages. I am not sure how the weight is coming off but I just cut down on coke cola.

In January 2013 - I was made redundant and for a few months I was comfort eating cakes,etc

In April 2013 - my nan died and again I was eating a hell of a lot I am 6ft 6 and at the time I was 19stone 42" waist. Then I was diagnosed as type 2

In June 2013 - I managed to find a job which is fairly active.

Anyway now I am 15stone 36" waist but I feel like a fraud because I haven't been to the gym and I haven't dieted. To be honest when I am working I eat not fantastically so my BSL's rise high but can drop down again on there own.

Just been to a scan which showed I have an enlarged spleen. I've had my gallbladder out in 2011 and wonder if maybe I have fatty tissue in my organs or not.

I respect you all for your replies it's made a hell of a difference to my outlook thank you

Mazzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Scotty, You have certainly been through a tough time of late, I am sure they would have looked at your liver and kidneys etc., at the same time as your spleen so ask your gp what is going on to put your mind at rest.

Now is your chance to get your bg under control, you have lots of support on here and you need to decide what diet suits you best to keep your bg more stable. There is loads of advice on different diets so have a good look round the forums and get as much information as you can. I found it very useful and have gained a lot of knowlege.

Take care and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Going on your age Scott and the fact that you have lost a lot of weight, maybe you are not a Type 2 at all. You may be LADA or slow onset Type 1. The Newcastle Diet may not be right for you.
Denise I think Scotty lost the 4 stone through good dieting after diagnosis, not before diagnosis, so Type 2 sounds like the right diagnosis for him as far as we can tell. Though the 16 mmol/L readings are a bit of worry, as long as they improve with time there's no reason for alarm I think.

Scotty it sounds like you are doing brilliantly actually. If you have the self discipline for the Newcastle Diet then go for it.

jonnnyx

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
rude people (idiots) people who have to steal for a living-snobs just try to be human we all live in diferant societys takes nothing to treat everyone the same
hi scotty
Your high levels could be stress and worry you have done well with the weight loss, But by testing after you have eaten will guide you to a correct level remember friut is natural sugar and it can make your levels high so test yourself when eating normal foods drink plenty of water, We all get stressed up when first diagnosed like someone said don't worry about the future if ,what ,how,ahhh,
And normal people will never understand what its like to be a Diabetic They watch what you eat saying you can't eat that etc,
You are not alone