Low Carb bread ?

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
I've been reading a lot lately about Livlife low carb bread and people testing it without having spikes. I don't think it's available in a lot of stores though. Definitely not available in my part of the planet.
Same here Indy- Waitrose and/or any other mainline supermarket do not stock this. I make do with Burgen and Vogel.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
Seems like the name of that site has been bleeped out by the administration here. Maybe you could ask them why? Competition maybe?
Yes, very odd. I only look at the site for recipes

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use this recipe. I can't remember where it came from, and I've added to it anyway. it has a good flavour and texture, but it's a bit crumbly, so putting a slice in the toaster means you might never see it again. :rolleyes: I've learnt to remove it carefully with a wooden spatula, and then it's fine. It's easy to make, no difficult ingredients, though ground almonds are expensive so I get mine from Aldi or Lidl when I'm passing rather than put them on my Sainsbury's shopping list. I don't know how well it would keep: after baking, I let it cool completely on a rack, then I transfer it to a board and, because it's crumbly, use a sharp serrated knife to cut into 16 slices. I pack the slices into a rigid plastic box and put it in the freezer. When I want bread, I remove one or two slices and toast them, or thaw them first if I want bread, not toast.:) I like the taste of caraway seeds, so I include them but I think pumpkin seeds would be nice too.

I did the maths and came up with:

Nutrition content :
per loaf:
kcal: 2451
protein: 96.2g
fat: 309.2g
carbs: 64g
fibre: 117g

per slice (1/16 of loaf):
kcal: 153.1
protein: 6g
fat: 19.3g
carbs: 4g
fibre: 7.3g

Ingredients:
240g ground almonds
60g ground flaxseed
30g sunflower seeds
10g caraway seeds
4 eggs
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Grease and base line a loaf tin. (Mine is 20cm x 10cm x 6cm)
Heat oven to 190 degrees C.
Mix dry ingredients together.
Lightly beat eggs and mix in the olive oil, then add to the dry ingredients and mix well.
Pile into loaf tin and smooth top.
Bake in pre-heated oven for about 45 mins.

Reactions: 2 people

Seano

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Brussels, People who can't do their jobs properly
Well since my lunches at work always consists of 1 meat (of some sort and loaded up with salad) samidge @ 10-15 and another @1-15 this Livlife sounds like I won't have to give em up :woot: is beetroot off limits on low carb ?

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
I urge anyone who wants to eat a low carb bread to try the Walnut Loaf posted by Modesty, it's lovely, my only problem is what spices to mix in, any ideas?