Ricola sweets

whatdoesthisbuttondo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I bought some of these sugar free sweets (lemon mint flavour) for the car, when boredom kicks in. It wasn't until I had had half a dozen and read the ingredients which had:
Per 100g: Energy 990kJ (235kcal), protein 0g, carbohydrate 96g (including sugar 0g, polyvalent alcohol 96g, starch 0g), fat 0g (including saturated fatty acids 0g), dietary fiber 0g, natrium 0g, Vitamin C 500mg

I have no idea what polyvalent alcohol is, but I know what 96% is!!
Anyone want half a box of sweets??!

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't worry about the carb content for these
It is mostly carbs but these are not readily digestible carbs for most people. They are normally called polyols.
In these sweets, the label says it is mostly isomalt which may have a slight effect on blood glucose; that's a bit individual but most sources say negligible
(it has a theoretical amount of calories at 2 calories a gram and that is taken into account of on the label)
They contain two other sweeteners aspartame, acesulfame-K).

The sweeteners in these sweets may cause' 'gastrointestinal distress' . Again it's individual, some people have no problems, others just eat a few and......
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isomalt
http://www.ricola.com/en-gb/Products/Herbal-sweets/Cranberry

Last edited by a moderator:

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There are many different types of sugar substitutes and the ones used in sweets contain carbs which you won't be able to digest.

There is a downside to this though! A handful of sweets can be the equivalent of a few tins of beans. Same effect and similar reason. Because they don't get digested by enzymes, they break down by bacteria in the lower gut and effectively create a sort of fermentation. "Double, double toil and trouble, fire burn, and caldron bubble." Typical of these alchemists.

Seano

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Brussels, People who can't do their jobs properly
Better bin my 3 boxes in the car then.....:(

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Just tried the Ricola liquorice sweeties. Very nice. The box states, "Sweetened with Stevia" so I reckoned they would be safe as some people on this forum use Stevia for baking. I will keep an eye on myself :cyclops: