Hypo on metformin?

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Rubbish day today. Is there anyone else who feels rubbish if bs above 8? Felt treacly dizzy and disorientated yesterday evening and bs 9. Banging headache. Drank water and went to bed. Woke up and had headache. Ate breakfast and took bs 1 hour later in work as felt like cr&&p. Back at 9. Couldn't get cover so sat through PE cover feeling dizzy, disorientated and wanting to fall off chair. Struggling to string sentence together and wanted to cry. Drank loads and gradually managed to bring bs down to 7.5 couple of hours later then 5.8 and 5.5. Felt ****** - tired but not dizzy. Got home, hubbie had forgotten to get fish out so kids and I did sainsburys. Banging headache but cooked tea for kids as husband thought I wasn't pulling weight. Got our dinner ready. Felt like sh*t bs now 3.3. Dizzy, disorientated struggling to speak. Rang 111 who spoke to husband and sent paramedics. Made me eat tsp honey and bs then 6. Feel ok now 3 hours later. Told husband that he should feel guilty. Told me that I am attention seeking - obviously lol! Paramedic said unusual to have hypo when on metformin. Says I shouldn't be feeling like this as 9 in normal range?! Thinks might have underlying issue and to see doc tomorrow - if I can get an appointment! Lol!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I usually feel quite exhilarated at 9.
Don't start to feel iffy til it gets to over 10.5

But I think it's more about what you are used to. What is your normal range? Maybe I run higher than you?

There was a while when I felt dreadful if it dropped under 5.5 (lost words, numb cheekbones, cold, aching, weepy and tipping into rage at slightest excuse. Nowadays, I can go down below 4.5 before that kicks in.

Do be kind to yourself, over the next few days. When I go too low it takes up to 3 days before I'm 100% again.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I usually feel quite exhilarated at 9.
Don't start to feel iffy til it gets to over 10.5

But I think it's more about what you are used to. What is your normal range? Maybe I run higher than you?

There was a while when I felt dreadful if it dropped under 5.5 (lost words, numb cheekbones, cold, aching, weepy and tipping into rage at slightest excuse. Nowadays, I can go down below 4.5 before that kicks in.

Do be kind to yourself, over the next few days. When I go too low it takes up to 3 days before I'm 100% again.
Thank you. 5.2 - 7.5 is my norm. Rarely 8 and feel rubbish if I am that.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You're not having the best of weeks Scandi. I hope you manage to see a supportive doctor tomorrow.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are having a rough time aren't you - I hope things get sorted out for you soon.

Your husband should be ashamed of himself - they can sometimes be a complete **** - so give him a taste of the same medicine next time he has man flu...:nurse::nurse:

I imagine the Easter break can't come too soon for you?

Robbity

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
You're not having the best of weeks Scandi. I hope you manage to see a supportive doctor tomorrow.
Thank you. I just hope it's not my fave doc. Let's hope I don't have to see my fave dn. If they mention her I am going to refuse! My cat could give me better advice! image.jpg Fell a lot better this morning. Just going to take bs.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
You are having a rough time aren't you - I hope things get sorted out for you soon.

Your husband should be ashamed of himself - they can sometimes be a complete **** - so give him a taste of the same medicine next time he has man flu...:nurse::nurse:

I imagine the Easter break can't come too soon for you?

Robbity
Well bs 5.8 and feel a lot better - headache just started again but only mild. Feet throbbing like mad when first woke up so persuaded hubbie to pour me a cuppa and am sitting in bed whilst reading forum and drinking tea and responding to kind posts! Think husband was in panic mode. When I got in from supermarket last night we had had a text reminding us that the kids needed picking up at 2.15 as early finish. Not usual for Easter hols only Christmas and summer. Childminder no longer able to do Fridays and both of us still at work. Hubbies work can be difficult so we had one of our normal 5 min rows before starting to behave like grown ups and got it sorted. When the paramedic wasin the way, he yelled at the kids and was trying to pack me a bag. Kids in tears and obviously coz I was hypo I couldn't move off sofa. When I unpacked the bag, I found a white summer dress which he thought was a nightie, boxer shorts and socks and a toothbrush but no toothpaste - lol. As you can guess, it's normally me who sorts stuff out! That said, he was very laid back when I pranged the car which is going to cost £100 for the excess. 5 more hours to Easter beak - yay!

Tigger2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Curry
I think I am starting to get the hang of these numbers. (I Think!) If my number is 9 or above I feel ****, below 5 feel tired. The other day/night, I say this cause I work perm nights! about 4am I was doing a patrol (Security) and felt dizzy on the stairs. I completed my patrol and then did a test. OMG BS 3.5 I was horrified. I had a KitKat in my Medical bag (Little bag with testing kit, meds etc) I was so scared I wolfed the whole 4 fingers down lol Bet you can guess what happened a few minutes later lol.I now have Gluco Tabs which I have spread across the country lol Med Bag, Under Motorbike seat, In the car, wifes handbag,

I am starting to know when my BS is either too high or too low just by my "Feelings"

I guess you can have "Off" days and we have to learn to deal with them as best we can.

Cheers

Tigger

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I think I am starting to get the hang of these numbers. (I Think!) If my number is 9 or above I feel ****, below 5 feel tired. The other day/night, I say this cause I work perm nights! about 4am I was doing a patrol (Security) and felt dizzy on the stairs. I completed my patrol and then did a test. OMG BS 3.5 I was horrified. I had a KitKat in my Medical bag (Little bag with testing kit, meds etc) I was so scared I wolfed the whole 4 fingers down lol Bet you can guess what happened a few minutes later lol.I now have Gluco Tabs which I have spread across the country lol Med Bag, Under Motorbike seat, In the car, wifes handbag,

I am starting to know when my BS is either too high or too low just by my "Feelings"

I guess you can have "Off" days and we have to learn to deal with them as best we can.

Cheers

Tigger
Thank you! **** day today! Receptionist at docs refused to give me appointment and tried to force me into telephone appointment. Am going to put in official complaint. Spoke to dn at hospital who told me to stop meds. Doc rang at end of school and told me to carry on taking them. Confused and hacked off. Feeling psychotic - lol. Written all of details up on another thread so won't repeat myself and bore the ar** off peeps! Shoot me now!

Tigger2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Curry
BANG lol

Not boring anything off us, thats what we are all here for. SUPPORT

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
- Scandi - I have read your fuller write up on the other thread, but wanted to reply in context here.

I have had several , mid 3 readings, and only once felt a bit odd. First time, I assumed my body hadn't appreciated the latest notch down in bs, but subsequently discovered that what I was feeling was a reaction to filter coffee, which I rarely have these days.

But, have you seriously considered trying to manage on diet only? I am evangelical about staying off meds, as it just wouldn't suit my current lifestyle, and I know I would try less hard not knowing whether I was making the difference, or if the meds were working, irrespective of my efforts. Now, we both know the reality of what would be happening, but this condition doesn't always take us down the logical route, in my experience.

You already adopted LCHF and have achieved decent core blood score reductions. You should feel proud of that. Maybe have an HbA1c done to benchmark the move back to med-free, then you have a line to work from? Doing without Metformin might just liberate you a bit?

Clearly I have no medical basis for suggesting this, but as it is an option presented to you, it could be worth a couple of hours head space?

I do hope you feel better tomorrow, when the stress of work has eased for a few weeks, at least.

Reactions: 2 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
- Scandi - I have read your fuller write up on the other thread, but wanted to reply in context here.

I have had several , mid 3 readings, and only once felt a bit odd. First time, I assumed my body hadn't appreciated the latest notch down in bs, but subsequently discovered that what I was feeling was a reaction to filter coffee, which I rarely have these days.

But, have you seriously considered trying to manage on diet only? I am evangelical about staying off meds, as it just wouldn't suit my current lifestyle, and I know I would try less hard not knowing whether I was making the difference, or if the meds were working, irrespective of my efforts. Now, we both know the reality of what would be happening, but this condition doesn't always take us down the logical route, in my experience.

You already adopted LCHF and have achieved decent core blood score reductions. You should feel proud of that. Maybe have an HbA1c done to benchmark the move back to med-free, then you have a line to work from? Doing without Metformin might just liberate you a bit?

Clearly I have no medical basis for suggesting this, but as it is an option presented to you, it could be worth a couple of hours head space?

I do hope you feel better tomorrow, when the stress of work has eased for a few weeks, at least.
Paramedic said that the effects are personal - some people can be coherent on a much lower bs and some like me have an adverse reaction. Funnily enough, the dn is recommending stopping but doc wants to monitor bs on current dose till Monday then reducing potentially to 1 tablet a day. Think ill do as doctor says and see what happens! Thanks for taking time out to let me know what you think - appreciated!

K

Kat100

Hi hope you start to feel better soon....
Afraid this is all so changeable all of the time, that's how it feels, just a balancing act...

Hope you feel better soon tc Kat x