Newly Diagnosed & Not Coping Well

paganess03

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Everyone,

Im Shelley, and I was diagnosed type 2, 5 weeks ago, i have to say i'm not coping well at all, I was put on metformin and it's caused a whole range of problems for me, My bloods since diagnosis have been between 20-30, I've been following a low carb diet and have cut sugar completley, gotto say though i am missing my full fat cola :-(
Tuesday this week i was in the post office and felt i was going to collapse, I havent felt well since diagnosis, I managed to see the practice nurse who checked my blood and keytone, bloods were 31.5 and keytones we 27, she sent me straight to A&E who admitted me, They told me the metformin had dehydrated me as they made me go to the toilet all the time and with constant weeing, so i was loosing water from both ends. this in turn has made my blood pressure low so they started me on fluids. I was on an insulin slide overnight which did bring my bloods down to 5, However I'm now home and they are back up 20+ and thats after a change of meds onto glycoside, I'm still feeling rotten. I've managed to get another app with the practice nurse on monday, i'm hoping she'll sort me out, In the meantime i'm desperatley waiting an app at the diabetic clinic at the hospital. Today i started coconut milk as i've read on the net its good for stabalizing sugar, Has anyone else here experienced any of this or have any advice for me i'd be eternally greatful

Nice to be here,,

Shelley

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome to the group Shelley!

Sorry you're having such a rubbish time. I'm type 1 but someone will come along soon that can relate to you.

Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
Hi and welcome,
How were you diagnosed? were you checked for type 1, i only ask as when first diagnosed i was told type 2 but ended up in hospital and was very ill with type 1, if u feel really ill i would visit walk in centre or hospital or even might be worth asking to speak to your diabetic nurse , i may be wrong but i didn't think type 2s got ketones as often as us when bloods are high, please dont leave it if you are worried,
let us know how u get on

paganess03

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thankyou Indiana

Hi Totsy, They found it by accident, Doc was checking my hormone levels and told me my sugar was a bit high but nothing to worry about, the same day i'd gone down with a urine sample as i thought i had a water infection, there was sugar in my urine too, he then sent me for a fasting blood test and it came back as diabetis, type 2, I'm due to see nurse on monday and will report back, thankyou for taking the time to reply to me, its much appreciated..

p.s totsy i also suffer with m.e. and fibro :)

Shelley

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
You're welcome,
and your the 1st diabetic I've met with m.e and fibro;)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi

High blood levels will make you feel
like ****

1st off ask your gp bluntly but honestly for a referral to a diabetic consultant at hospital.

They HAVE to get your levels down and being on insulin drip in hospital may significantly nean that you need insulin injections... ( which as far as I am concerned is easier than tablets/diet).

You need to go to gp and state your case that you should not have been admitted to hospital, that you need to see a consultant for help

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I too HAD fibro. I really recommend a D3 supplement and fighting it. Push yourself every day to do more physical exercise. Low carb n higher fat has helped me. I didnt actually recognise how little I ate till robert72 posted about how the new my fitness pal app had details of this.i'm now bumping up my fat as this was lacking.

Fibro can be reduced... Needs balance and a bit of push.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You can't diagnose T2 by a fasting test; you can only diagnose diabetes. You need the GAD and c-peptide tests to eliminate Late onset T1 (LADA) if it is indicated by being, slim, young age and very high blood sugar with ketones. Sadly many HCPs diagnose T2 by default and sometimes get it wrong. It sounds to me that you are probably a LADA and may need to stay on insulin. Make sure they don't just assume you are T2.

Reactions: 4 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. You can't diagnose T2 by a fasting test; you can only diagnose diabetes. You need the GAD and c-peptide tests to eliminate Late onset T1 (LADA) if it is indicated by being, slim, young age and very high blood sugar with ketones. Sadly many HCPs diagnose T2 by default and sometimes get it wrong. It sounds to me that you are probably a LADA and may need to stay on insulin. Make sure they don't just assume you are T2.
Just to reiterate what Daibell is saying here. We have read these posts over and over again. People being told they're Type 2 even though they don't fit any part of the profile except for their age. What some people on this forum have had to go through just to get a proper diagnosis is absolutely appalling.

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi

I can only echo what Daibell said.
Are you over weight? What is your diet like?
Any increase in exercise and cutting back on carbs will help.

Let us know how you get on

Cara.

paganess03

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

Yes i'm overweight by about 2 1/2 stone, I've been slimming since sept last year and have lost 3 1/2 stone, and now i've given up coco cola the weight is dropping off, I'm trying to follow a low carb diet, I've changed to brown bread, brown rice etc, I've just taken my bloods and there 21.6, i dont think the glycoside is working, thanks all for your comments i will mention all this to my practice nurse on monday

shelley

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Unfortunately, despite what you've been told, there is absolutely no difference between "brown" carbs in a diabetic's body - brown bread, brown rice, will normally raise BG levels by exactly the same amount as white - especially brown/wholemeal bread. Bread is often the very worst for most of us. Porridge can also be similar. The more processed the carb is, the more easily it is digested and the more it will raise BG.

I would strongly suggest that you start reading in the low carb diet area of the forum.

I'd also suggest you read the advice to the newly diagnosed thread if you haven't already done so:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.26870/

Another thread worth reading is Southport GP's:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/new-research-on-the-low-carb-diet-in-general-practice.53261/