Tattoo yes or no ?

Kerry74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hot and spicy food
think long and hard about it and be sure on your design and body place but i think your idea sounds lovely r u having some colour added to the charms and if u go ahead with it pics please x :p

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
Ah thank u , at the moment I'm just thinking pain , not sure about colour yet but will definitely post pictures , thank u x

Reactions: 2 people

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been told by a tattoo artist that wrist tattoos are not viable (because squeezing the required text into the size of a wristwatch wouldn't remain legible) - my first idea had been a "tattooed-on medic alert bracelet". If you want something like this you probably have to keep it very simple (a single line of text maybe)

Kerry74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hot and spicy food
Hi Alex r u saying that I cannot have tattoo on my wrist , your information is important to me before I go ahead with tattoo many thanks x

candiloo

Been type 1 for 4 years now and am thinking of having a bracelet tattoo with type1 and pretty charms on it , would really like other peoples opinions , and if any girlies have had bracelet tattoo ! If so photos of any type 1 tattoos would b great

I had a tatoo done on my stomach last year. I have diabetes as I had pancreatitis and lost part of my pancreas andthe scar on my stomach constantly reminded me of how ill I had been, so last year I thought 'enough is enough' and got it covered up - looks exactly like the zip on the Tesco bags of peas - I knew I should have copywritten that design! Now I can move on. No infection, no redness, no scabs. And it was done on holiday in Egypt. He did it in 20 minutes as I think his ears were bleeding - it hurt more than giving birth! Just make sure you build up you resistancce to anything first and ensure you don't get any issues afterwards. I have to say I did worry butkept it clean and dry as instructed,

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Kerry - I have a "Diabetic" tattoo on my left wrist with some
pale blue tinkerbell star bursts around it ...
The pale blue is symbolic of the pale blue colour for diabetes .

Paramedics are trained to look on wrists for any medical ID
Also they often use the left arm to cuff for BP [nearest to your heart]

It is GREAT with being completely worryfree and always on me 24/7
No more having to remember to keep wearing my medic awareness
bracelets [plus broke one and lost it!]

It is reasonable to consider a tattoo if finding wearing any form
of medical ID a problem .
Like losing them [they can be expensive to replace]
Or even simply remembering to wear your medical awareness necklace or bracelet .
I often used to forget to replace mine after showering .

Once tattooed I can rely and depend on it to do its job .
It is very pretty and feminine, small in size [have slender wrists]
Advocate's my diabetes condition in any future emergency situation .

However it is important that you do investigate a good tattooist .
I visted mine 4 times prior to getting mine done .
Ask all the questions you need and let them know you are
diabetic .
A good one will ask you to bring along your blood sugar kit plus
some hypo treatment .
Test pre - tattoo and let you rest and check mid tattoo session .
Follow up with good after tattoo care advice .
Invite you back for an after tattoo check up too .
[mine did all of this ] :happy:

Above all please make certain this tattoo is what you really want .
As its for life ...

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a tatoo done on my stomach last year. I have diabetes as I had pancreatitis and lost part of my pancreas andthe scar on my stomach constantly reminded me of how ill I had been, so last year I thought 'enough is enough' and got it covered up - looks exactly like the zip on the Tesco bags of peas - I knew I should have copywritten that design! Now I can move on. No infection, no redness, no scabs. And it was done on holiday in Egypt. He did it in 20 minutes as I think his ears were bleeding - it hurt more than giving birth! Just make sure you build up you resistancce to anything first and ensure you don't get any issues afterwards. I have to say I did worry butkept it clean and dry as instructed,
Stomach and feet are two of the most painful areas for tattoos - I found out the hard way. Feet also take the longest to heal.

mark51

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Negative people, Rain
Hi Kerry74, I have had several tattoos on my back and arms. It only starts to get uncomfortable after about 5hrs in the chair. The most important things to consider is the design and then the tattoo artist / studio. See the work and if possible as lots of questions. You need a good artist, to get a good Tattoo! You must also follow the after care plan. But I'd say once you have your desired design go for it. I have a large wolf head on my left arm leading into a native American scene, on my back including a picture of an native American Indian in headress etc. Again these all have a meaning to me. And I've also considered having a medical Tattoo on my wrist, but due to my job this is not yet acceptable.

NorthCountryMaid

God u r experienced I have been type 1 for 4 years now and had enough already "constantly ill with colds and doctors attitude is well can't do much as you are diabetic , sure there is something that can help my immune system " any recommendations as you are so experienced xx
I swear by Zinc - always found that it helped reduce the severity of a cold IF taken earlier enough (as soon as the first tickle in the nose starts) and IF taken in suitable doses. Dose needs to be large enough to make a difference, but small enough to avoid the nausea of too much zinc. You find out what "too much" is by trial and error. My max dose is 40mg/day. Min dose is 20mg/day - I take that as a regular preventative and take an extra tablet (10mg) when cold threatening. Plus one more when I'm sure it has arrived.

Should add that I'm no medic - but medics have not been a whole bunch of help to me. The reputation of Zinc fluctuates in the world of the medics. I know it works for me and for others.

Oh yes and I do still stand by something my then GP (one of the good medics!) told me nearly 40 years ago - "minor viral infection - rest, fluid and paracetamol." Or as my nurse friend put it, "Drink a lot, pee a lot and rest a lot."

Last edited by a moderator:

tap2tag

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My nephew had a tattoo with his MedicAlert identity number and telephone number for Medic Alert printed on it. Unfortunately the telephone number was subsequently changed. If you are having it done just make sure that the information is permanent.

Reactions: 2 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
My nephew had a tattoo with his MedicAlert identity number and telephone number for Medic Alert printed on it. Unfortunately the telephone number was subsequently changed. If you are having it done just make sure that the information is permanent.
Not sure whether to laugh or feel sorry for him ! Good advice though, telephone numbers and ex-girlfriends names make very bad tattoo choices :)

T1Taz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Kerry, I'm also working on my design for my wrist tattoo. I wouldn't do a full charm bracelet because there would be too much detail & it might clash with other jewellery I might like to wear. Also I worked in retail & wasn't allowed tattoos or piercings on show. Im going to do a symbol on the inside of my left wrist which can be covered by a wide watch strap if needs be on occassion. Good luck & post a pic here if you go through with it

T1Taz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I forgot to mention I've a horse tattooed on my back & it stung a little at the start & numbed after a bit. I've a very good pain threshold so I'm not sure if I'm the best to listen to on that

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
This seems to me to be cyclic. It was very common with my fathers generation, unusual with mine and common now. In my experience that is.