Bulgar wheat

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I've already posted that I'm developing new recipes because my T1 husband has advanced Kidney failure. He now requires a diet low in protein as well as controlled carbs.[kidney failure makes insulin persist longer in the system and it's unpredicatble]
This week we've been trying out Bulgar wheat. It's a great alternative to rice or couscous. it can be made tasty and is low GI and fairly low in carbs overall.[about 38% by weight cooked] a small portion was about 20 carbs, as I served it wih mushroom strogonoff for lunch.
I've also mad a kind of tagine with onions, various coloured peppers, courgettes and some dried fruit. I used Rose harissa to season and it made a very nice dish
Hana

Reactions: 2 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Bulgar wheat has been one of my staples for quite a while now, it's good for my bs too.
Glad it's good for you as well. :)

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, I like to use it. I try to get the sort that is 'truly' whole grain. We have a small population of N. Africans round here with a couple of shops that I can get it from (plus far cheaper spices than most French shops sell)
For those who aren't certain what it is.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/bulgur_wheat
edit: have you looked at preserved lemons for flavouring your tagine? and Tabbouleh recipes for your bulgur wheat.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bulgur wheat is now probably the main carb source in my diet as I am able to keep my sugars in check with it much better than with rice or potatoes.

I usually prepare it in a tomato souce which I find delicious, You blanch some onion in some olive oil, add the bulgur wheat and fry for about a minute add some chopped tomatoes and/or tomato paste and water as per the instructions on the bulgur packet. You may season to taste or add a cube of vegetable or chicken stock. Bring to the boil and then lower fire to minimum and simmer. It is cooked when all the water is absorbed ( although I personally prefer it to be a little moist). I find it goes very well with Greek yoghurt.

Pavlos

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Seano

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Brussels, People who can't do their jobs properly
Which is a better substitute for rice...Bulgur Wheat, Tabouli or Cous Cous ?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone tried barley? (Pearl barley or even better non-pearled)

I think it has a lower GI than bulgar, and I find it delicious. I've been using it instead of rice for a while now. Very pleased with the effect on my blood sugar.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Has anyone tried barley? (Pearl barley or even better non-pearled)

I think it has a lower GI than bulgar, and I find it delicious. I've been using it instead of rice for a while now. Very pleased with the effect on my blood sugar.
I've used barley, even before my diagnosos. Only thing is it take so long to cook.
Hana

diabkash

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thanks, always wondered about bulger wheat... thought being wheat family, it would have high GI .will defintely try and the 'lapsi' version too..

Hb1Ac- 7.5 last month from 6.8/6.5 last 2 years

North_West

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
Diet only
Bulgar wheat. It's awesome and healthy. First time I've tried it during my Turkey trip. They serve it with veggies. Yummy.

Reactions: Prem51
K

Kat100

Love it , I love it with a sort of spice stew dish with aubergine and chickpeas ...well any veg , and a few herbs and spices , or I add the herbs to the bulgar wheat with lemon juice ...makes a nice salad and keeps well in the fridge ....

K

Kat100

I've already posted that I'm developing new recipes because my T1 husband has advanced Kidney failure. He now requires a diet low in protein as well as controlled carbs.[kidney failure makes insulin persist longer in the system and it's unpredicatble]
This week we've been trying out Bulgar wheat. It's a great alternative to rice or couscous. it can be made tasty and is low GI and fairly low in carbs overall.[about 38% by weight cooked] a small portion was about 20 carbs, as I served it wih mushroom strogonoff for lunch.
I've also mad a kind of tagine with onions, various coloured peppers, courgettes and some dried fruit. I used Rose harissa to season and it made a very nice dish
Hana
Hello , it sounds a nice meal ....glad your husband is enjoying it ....sorry your husband is not so well , wish I knew of some suitable recepie ideas ..but you have got us talking about bulgar wheat now :) I always thought couscous and bulgar wheat were the same but I am learning new information ...x

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Bulgar wheat, quinoa, and almond flour, in roughly equal proportions. with cheese, and fried bacon cubes. Beat in an egg, 3 tps baking powder, and enough milk to make a muffin mix consistency. (hydrate the quinoa and bulgar wheat first, let it drain and cool)
I made too much, so finished up with 12 muffins, and a small cake. I made the mistake of adding butter to the batter, but it came out greasy, combined with the cheese in the mix. I'll leave it out next time.
They rose ok, tasted ok, but did have a bite to them, probably from the quinoa.
I ate the lot though, and no reaction.

Bev18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ah didn't know we could eat bulgar wheat I've never had it before. Will be nice to have as a change from cauliflower rice. :)

Reactions: Prem51

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello , it sounds a nice meal ....glad your husband is enjoying it ....sorry your husband is not so well , wish I knew of some suitable recepie ideas ..but you have got us talking about bulgar wheat now :) I always thought couscous and bulgar wheat were the same but I am learning new information ...x
Actually couscous is a tiny pasta, bulgur is a part cooked cracked wheat.
They are both ancient processes but of course made in factories today.
http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/plantsciences/research/durum/products

Reactions: 2 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
After watching last night's BBC1 program, 'The Truth About ...' (Carbohydrates), I think I'll try Bulgur Wheat as an alternative to rice.

annie07

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love bulgur wheat but haven't touched it since diagnosis for fear of a spike... but if so many of you get on well with it I might give it a go again and see what it does. Would love to have it back.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bulgar Wheat, Quinoa and Couscous are all about 20g of carb per 100g cooked weight, which is not a very big portion.