Newly diagnosed.

Doug

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello everyone,
I am new to this site and have only recently been diagnosed with type 2. It all came as a bit of a shock and I was somewhat numbed by the news and didn't really take it all in at the time. Fortunately, my wife came with me on the second visit a few days later. Now, I am more relieved as I understand why I have been feeling so tired and lacking in energy.
As my B.G. level was so high on the 2 blood samples, I have been started off on 2 daily Metform tablets. I see the dietian later this week and will be interested to see what is suggested food wise as we eat a healthy diet anyway.
I have to say that the tablets seem to be working as I don't feel the urge to pass water ant where near as often as I did. I also seem to have more energy although I have made more of an effort to take more exercise...cycling and dog walking.
It is suggested that I eat little and often so I wonder if anyone can suggest "good" snacks apart from fruit?
Thanks in advance and I suppose, "welcome to the club!" :D

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Indeed ,'welcome to the club,'Doug. Healthy snacks are ones that do not contain a lot of carbohydrate.I prefer nuts personally as a good snack which is also filling.Beware of peanuts and cashews though as these are high in carbs.The favourite nut on this forum is macadamias which are low in carbs and delicious! Cheese,ham etc,are also good again being low in carbs.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Doug said:
I see the dietian later this week and will be interested to see what is suggested food wise as we eat a healthy diet anyway.
Hi Doug and a warm welcome to you.

Have a good read round the forum and I'm sure you will find a lot of useful and helpful information. You make an interesting point about your diet. What we would regard as a "healthy" diet for a non-diabetic can be a really bad diet for a diabetic. Thinking like a diabetic is probably one of the most difficult things you will have to get used to, and it can mean un-learning lots of things about so-called healthy eating.

Just ask away if you have any questtions and one of us will do our best to answer them.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya and welcome to the forum :D ask as many questions as u need to and someone will answer them :)

nannoo

Hi Doug, and welcome. These message boards are amazing, there are so many knowledgable people, and you will get a lot of good advice and encouragement. I have had diabetes for a long time but am only just getting around to working out a diet that works, and that is due mostly to the help I have received here. It would seem that low carb is the way to go - it certainly brought my blood sugars down fast. There are people here who know far more than I do about this, but you should be aware that many fruits will affect your BS levels, as will pasta, starchy vegetables, rice ... you should read as much as you can on these boards to find out what works and what you should avoid, and then test yourself and by trial and error you should be able to find out how to stick to a diet that keeps your sugars low and level. I'm still asking questions all the time!!! Good luck, and keep reading the posts.

Trinkwasser

Nuts, cheese, eggs, fish, salads, olives, berries in moderation (some of us can get away with certain other fruits), I can handle oatcakes with things like cheese or nut butter so long as I don't eat too many.

Will be interesting to see what your dietician suggests.

Doug

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you everyone for your suggestions so far. I see the dietian next week although our medical centre nurse who saw me the other day was very helpful. I had over an hours checkup which was very in depth. Pleased that my blood sugar reading is much lower so tablets seem to be working. Blood pressure vey good but was surprised that my weight was less than my scales tell me...will be buying a decent one!
I have lost muscle definition and hope it will return. Has anyone else suffered the same and can give a bit of advice. Our springer spanial is having more brisk walks than usual and I have dug the push bike out of the garage...you never forget how to ride a bike. You do have a different view of other "road users" of the 4 wheeler kind and are more aware of the pot holes!
My dear old mum is diabetic and my dad is always looking for a weeks menu with easy to follow instructions. He is 90 years old and has taken care of my mum's condition for over 20 years but would still like some healthy menus. I wonder if anyone can help?
Thank you :D

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Doug,

Have a look in the "Diabetes Food Forum" section - you'll find loads of food ideas and suggestions.