Do I have Pre Type two Diabetes?

daddy2b

:) Hi everybody, my name is Bill and i have just turned the dreaded FIFTY years old :shock: :shock: I am basically a very fit person for my age although my catalogue of medical problems over the years includes Hodgkin's disease (Cancer) which needed Radiotherapy and spleen removal, under active thyroid(Treated with tablets) high blood pressure(Now under control with tablets) suppressed immune system,a dairy product intolerance and most recently a TIA (Mini Stroke) i was very lucky to survive that one. I have spent quite a lot of time over the years at the doctors for all these conditions plus other bits and bobs and the required check ups etc. If anything new happens to me i do get very embarrassed about yet another visit to my GP.I have had quite a long spell now (about three years ) with no problems. I have noticed in the last six months or so that i do occasionally get blurry vision incidents especially if i have drank any wine the previous evening.I have also noticed that i get a thrush like symptom that cream doesn't clear up.I recently have been checked out privately for any possible std's etc,but that came out completely clear. I have also noticed that i am needing to pee during the day almost every hour and a half or so (Very rarely during the night though?) I don't feel thirsty all the time and i haven't suffered any weight loss at all.

I do feel tired a lot during the day.Sometimes,even after a good nights sleep i can start to feel really tired again during breakfast?

I am five feet ten tall and normally weigh about twelve stones although at the minute i am thirteen stones, i have just started to diet. One strange thing that i have noticed is that i usually feel better if i don't eat anything for say several hours,but then if i leave it too long i start to feel really bad and i get the overwhelming desire to just lay on the floor with no energy at all.If i then eat some chocolate within two or three minutes if feel great again but this feeling only lasts for about ten minutes then i start to feel bad again. Usually at this point i go to bed and by next morning i feel better?

I am so embarrassed about going to my GP yet again for something else i was wondering if i can get checked out privately without my GP knowing about it until i was sure that i had the condition?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bill.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Bill,
Some of your symptoms could indicate diabetes, but could equally be something else. To be on the safe side I would get along to your GP for a blood test. Try and get an early morning appointment and don't have anything to eat for 10-12 hours before the appointment. That will allow your GP to give you a fasting test, which will tell him a great deal more than a non-fasting test would.

If you really don't fancy going back to see the doc, some chemists will will do a finger-prick blood check - again fasting would be best. Your fasting blood sugar level should be 6.0mmol or lower. 6.1 to 7.0mmol indicates impaired glucose tolerance (pre-diabetes) and above 7.0 indicates diabetes. I believe the Lloyds pharmacies offer this service if you have one near you.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya bill and welcome,
as already said a visit to your gp would be good, i did go to lloyds myself and got checked 1st thing at morning after a all night fast which showed up a blood reading of 22mmol so then they sent a letter with me to give to my gp, this was a free test :D

milly mole

Dislikes
rude people,know alls
Never be embarrassed to see your doctor.They are used to it.That is what they are there for.Please go and see him and explain your worrys .

daddy2b

:D Thank you everybody for your replies.I will call in at LLoyds Pharmacy and get a test.I didn't know that they provided such a service :roll: Do you just call in and get tested or do you have to make an appointment? :?:
I think that i used the wrong word when describing my visit to the doctors :( I feel more uncomfortable than embarrassed really. I just get the feeling that they are thinking "Oh no it's Bill again,what's wrong with him this week?" one other symptom i may have is that i can't stand being out in the cold weather,which is a bit awkward as i am a builder???

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Hi Bill,
I believe you can just drop in. But don't worry overmuch about your surgery - if it wasn't for people like us they'd all be out of a job!

Trinkwasser

Type 2 is often associated with hypothyroid (so is Type 1) and the high BP and stroke might also be indicators so they might be expecting you! I'd definitely see your doctor, and while you're there get your thyroid checked out and also a Full Lipid Panel.

daddy2b

:?: Well i finally had my blood test done at the Lloyd's pharmacy today (They don't half want a lot of personal info before they will test you :shock: ) I had to make an appointment with them,you can't just walk in and get tested. My result was 6.2 :shock: :? ,so they have advised me to call again in the morning for another test,this time it will be a fasting one. They told me not to eat anything for 8 hours,is this long enough? I will keep you updated on the next blood test result.

Bill.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Hi Bill,

Thanks for the update on Lloyds pharmacy. I would say that 8 hours is cutting it a bit fine. Doctors usually specify 10 to 12 hours with nothing except water for a fasting test.

daddy2b

:| Hi everybody, i have just had my 12 hour fasting blood test done.The result was 5.8, so that would suggest that i don't have pre type 2 diabetes.Whilst i am relieved about that,it still leaves me with an undiagnosed condition :?: Anyway, onwards and upwards as they say.Thanks for all your help.
Regards Bill.

Trinkwasser

Those numbers are a bit marginal, you really need to look at your postprandial numbers too. See if you can get another test about an hour after eating or drinking a load of carbs.

"Type 2" is actually a whole bunch of similar but different conditions and if not controlled is usually progressive. The cutoff points on the progression between "normal", impaired and diabetes are somewhat arbitrary, but the earlier you start to control your BG the less likely you are to progress.

jetsue

Hi Bill

I have an underactive thyroid (on thyroxine) and, my son type 1 diabetic and coeliac sufferer.

Had to go to the Dr. last night about my thyroid function test results and have to have my medication reduced after nearly sixteen years of the same dose (I'm 48 in July) so your symptons maybe, thyroid related starving yourself is not a good idea. As the thyroid is all to do with the metabolism and starvation diets are a no go area.

My blood pressure tends to be lower than most at times makes me feel light headed.

My strong advise is get to the Doctors (I have yearly blood tests my last few meant I've been having them every 3 to 6 months and, now my dose has been adjusted have to go back in 3 months to see what the effect this has had).

Auto-immune conditions do include Diabetes, Thyroid and Coeliac to name the main ones so you're wise to consider the Diabetes aspect.

As I say get to the Doctor it could be the Thyroid factor.

Let us know how you get on.

Sue :)

jetsue

Hi again

Forgot to say I think you may have had thrush and sometimes alcohol can cause it?

As I said along with others get to your GP