Newly Diagnosed and grumpy

loudmatthew

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been recently diagnosed with type one diabetes which is all a bit of a shock. I seem to be getting on ok with the changes in my life, although I have been extremely moody and very quick to get grumpy. I have mentioned this to the diabetic nurse, who has said that this can sometimes be the case when BG levels get low, although there seems to be no correlation between BG levels and my quick temper, is this a side affect of diabetes, or just me being a miserable sod?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
As your newly diagnosed it's understandable your mood has changed, being diagnosed with a condition like diabetes comes as quite a shock as there's so much information to take in, things will get easier in time and all will begin to make much more sense, hopefully by then your mood would have lifted and you'll be back to normal, if not then discuss matters with your gp or diabetes consultant.

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
A lot of diabetics do have mood swings if my bg goes high I loose my temper very easily, and when low I go funny in the head as well and my eyes do weird things according to my partner

Type 2 diagnosed 24/01/2013.
Novomix 30, Victoza, metformin 2000mg sr (but not taking them as they play havoc with my insides,

Dzialo

I would ask the nurse to check your thyroid, it's a common problem with diabetes and it effects the mood along with other things

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Could just be that you're rightly pi**ed off about getting the db. Getting it made me very grumpy indeed but it gets better with time.:)

lunarlinda

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Injustice, discrimination, greed, selfishness, WAR
I have been recently diagnosed with type one diabetes which is all a bit of a shock. I seem to be getting on ok with the changes in my life, although I have been extremely moody and very quick to get grumpy. I have mentioned this to the diabetic nurse, who has said that this can sometimes be the case when BG levels get low, although there seems to be no correlation between BG levels and my quick temper, is this a side affect of diabetes, or just me being a miserable sod?

Welcome loudmatthew, I'm quite new too.
Eat some low carb high fat food and you'll soon come down off the ceiling. xx

RosieDred

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been diagnosed since November so also fairly new and I'm a grumpy sod too. Not as often as when I was first diagnosed but often enough that I can still class myself as a grumpy sod lol. It'll get better but (in my experience) it takes a long time.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
i hated when i found out and i still hate it and its been 5 months,

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I often get quite irritable and "snappy" - usually when I'm hungry which I think is what's getting me stressed out...

Robbity

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I can
I often get quite irritable and "snappy" - usually when I'm hungry which I think is what's getting me stressed out..

Robbity
I can understand that. I have the same problem I also can't find food to eat half the time

xAoifex

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
you're certainly not the only one who gets grumpy! Sometimes it could be from lows, sometimes from highs, sometimes swinging between the 2. Like many things diabetes related there is often no correlation between anything which can make it hugely frustrating! Too many curved balls being thrown. I believe you have to pretty much get through all the stages of grief when being diagnosed with a chronic condition, you know, anger, denial acceptance etc. No one is perfect it's a steep learning curve after diagnosis and thats with having to deal with everyday life's stresses as well, it'll all settle down in time as everything becomes more second nature to you. Have you been on a carb counting course yet? Something like DAFNE? It's a good way to meet other people with type 1 who are, or have been, exactly where you are now