busspassman

busspassman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I was diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes in October 2013. After the initial visit to the Diabetic Nurse and the obligatory Blood tests etc. I was virtually left to my own devices.
More out of desperation than anything else I purchased an Acuview Meter to test my Blood Sugar levels. Generally my results 2 hours after meals were almost all reading 5.5 mmol/L All except after breakfast when the readings were consistently reading 4.4 mmol/L. 3oz of Cornflakes followed by an orange and within an hour I am having dizzy spells
and sweating. Can anyone suggest a more friendly breakfast and more so a quick way to restore my blood sugar levels when (or if ) these conditions occur

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Are you on any medication?

Mazzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Busspassman, welcome to the forum. Are you taking any medication?

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
:) :) @Indy51 and @Mazzer :rolleyes: ;)

@busspassman. Hello, I see from your profile you're T2 on diet only.
Maybe cornflakes are not a good idea. They contain a lot of carbohydrate which in any form will cause your blood glucose level to spike. For a start, how about swapping to the old traditional breakfast...eggs, scrambled, boiled or fried ...you could even add some bacon! Others will add more suggestions, I'm just starting the ball rolling. Good luck :)

Reactions: 2 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Maybe cornflakes are not a good idea. They contain a lot of carbohydrate which in any form will cause your blood glucose level to spike. For a start, how about swapping to the old traditional breakfast...eggs, scrambled, boiled or fried ...you could even add some bacon! Others will add more suggestions, I'm just starting the ball rolling. Good luck :)
DOH! I should have checked the profile.

I agree with Beachbag about the spike. When high GI carbs cause a fast spike in BG levels, your body will overcompensate with insulin production to lower it - sometimes pushing it down too far, causing reactive hypoglycemia. You'd probably be a lot more comfortable if you based most of your meals around protein and fat, with only minimal amounts of low GI carbs so that you have a nice gentle rise to your BG instead of the roller coast you now seem to be on.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

busspassman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I was diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes in October 2013. After the initial visit to the Diabetic Nurse and the obligatory Blood tests etc. I was virtually left to my own devices.
More out of desperation than anything else I purchased an Acuview Meter to test my Blood Sugar levels. Generally my results 2 hours after meals were almost all reading 5.5 mmol/L All except after breakfast when the readings were consistently reading 4.4 mmol/L. 3oz of Cornflakes followed by an orange and within an hour I am having dizzy spells
and sweating. Can anyone suggest a more friendly breakfast and more so a quick way to restore my blood sugar levels when (or if ) these conditions occur
No, I'm not on any medication

Mazzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Hi Beachbag, just learned how to look at someone's profile, still finding my way around at the moment, I will remember to look next time:)

Mazzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you want a quick breakfast you can do scrambled eggs in the microwave and add some smoked salmon, or you could have an avocado pear, or a tin of red salmon, or pilchards, or sardines with tomatoes and cucumber, or a mushroom omelette. Have a good look round on the this site and on the internet it's amazing what you can find. Some fruit can be high in carbs, but most berries are ok, you could have these with a natural yoghurt.

Hope this has given you some ideas.

Marilyn

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi busspassman

I you wish to stick to cereal (I don;t have time to cook breakfast in the morning and get a run in before breakfast) you may find it better to change from cornflakes. Weetabix, ready brek and porridge seem to work for me. I have about 25g read brek/porridge or one weetabix (no sugar) and milk. The fats in the milk slow it down even more. I assume you don't drink skimmed milk.

Unfortunately we are all different and you may find these are a terrible option for you

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
"Unfortunately we are all different and you may find these are a terrible option for you"
@Andrew Colvin
Most definitely! All cereals spike my BG way too much, even with lactofree milk.

busspassman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for all the suggestions - You learn something every day! I couldn't understand how too much carbs can result in a low BG count.
Your advice taken, Egg and tomato on 1 round of toast and my BG is back to 5.6 mmol/L Thanks again