Room 101

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The problem with the Welsh language is that not all people born and bred in Wales can speak it. It appeared to have been dying out in some parts and has been resurrected by teaching it in schools again. Some folks will have missed out on this teaching. It is easy enough to learn the basics, but fluency is a different matter. We are not all linguists like you Scandichic, I agree one should try, but it isn't always that easy

Reactions: 2 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
The problem with the Welsh language is that not all people born and bred in Wales can speak it. It appeared to have been dying out in some parts and has been resurrected by teaching it in schools again. Some folks will have missed out on this teaching. It is easy enough to learn the basics, but fluency is a different matter. We are not all linguists like you Scandichic, I agree one should try, but it isn't always that easy
Half the fun is in the trying! The more you speak and read it, the more fluent you become! Have loads of Welsh friends who weren't born speaking it who learnt out of pride - it's part of their culture and heritage. One went on to subtitle for a rather famous Welsh soap! I lived in Wales for a short time and learnt bits and pieces. It definitely helped! The people I met were some of the warmest I know! Oops am probably on a rant about the importance of learning a language now but think how many people wouldn't post on this forum if they didn't speak English! God bless cultural diversity!

Dogbutler

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I know what you mean Scandichic, and as a Welshie born and bred I have a smattering of my native language (and a few others - just enough to get by).
The point of my post was the sheer bad manners of some people who deliberately exclude others from conversations (which they've invariably joined, not started) just because they can.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I don't live in Wales but I do know at least one word in Welsh, thanks to my son who went on a night out in Cardiff.......Heddlu.......

Last edited by a moderator:

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
.........I'd like to nominate offspring who drink too much alcohol for room 101

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I know what you mean Scandichic, and as a Welshie born and bred I have a smattering of my native language (and a few others - just enough to get by).
The point of my post was the sheer bad manners of some people who deliberately exclude others from conversations (which they've invariably joined, not started) just because they can.
Then beat them at their own game and join in. As you are making the effort, make them repeat the phrase and clarify. They will be only too pleased to do so if they see you making an effort! If they are trying to bully you then they will soon get bored if everything has to be repeated and clarified and stop! This would make me even more determined to increase my vocabulary but then I'm just an awkward b***er! Even better, if this is the game then you will appear to be sweet and reasonable and their true colours will be revealed to all. I have learnt over time that there is more than one way to challenge negative behaviour! Good luck and have fun!

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
.........I'd like to nominate offspring who drink too much alcohol for room 101
I have this to come. Have you though about moving?
image.jpg

Dogbutler

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Thanks for the tip. Funnily enough I tried that some years ago. One colleague got it and continued to speak English despite the efforts of the interrupter, who eventually gave up.

The most ridiculous thing was when another coworker and I had a chat in cringingly bad German, we were told either to speak in English or move to a private area.

Apparently, excluding others was rude!!

You couldn't make it up.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks for the tip. Funnily enough I tried that some years ago. One colleague got it and continued to speak English despite the efforts of the interrupter, who eventually gave up.

The most ridiculous thing was when another coworker and I had a chat in cringingly bad German, we were told either to speak in English or move to a private area.

Apparently, excluding others was rude!!

You couldn't make it up.
Know how you feel. I worked in a scandi office for a big American company before I went into teaching. I was employed to speak to reps in their native language as 80% of my job. Most of the people spoke one off the scandi languages and would switch for anyone who joined the group but if it was a private conversation then Swedish was generally the default. One of my Swedish colleagues came to ask about a file and we were shouted at for speaking Swedish. My colleague lost it and gave them a rather acerbic mouthful. These 2 colleagues used to give me a very hard time and I used to come home and get very upset. One day, I heard them plotting with a senior manager to have some poor girl come over from Sweden so that they could give her a hard time about her working practice. There was nothing wrong with her practice. She didn't take anymore short cuts than anyone else but they just didn't like her. I was so incensed about the enormous waste of resources and bullying that I rang her up and told her what they were up to. Naturally in Swedish which they didn't understand. It was wonderful to watch their faces when they went through all her paperwork and everything was in order. I soon left because they were so horrible but learnt from a friend that the senior manager upset someone more senior and got fired. Instant karma!

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
I would like to nominate for Room101 all those R+D clever clogs who thought that adding a beep to anything and everything would be an oh so great idea! It's not! :mad:

Why does the tv make a beepy whiry noise when it's turned off? Why does my microwave beep at me to remind me that there is still something inside of it? I KNOW it's there, I left it there! The fridge beeps, my phone beeps, the computer makes a bloody noise when it has to change a programme. I can turn a few of them off but some I am stuck with. The car is an out of tune symphony all by itself. I mean why? Crikey this is a noisy enough place without adding to it! :confused:

Whew....that feels better :)

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My husband and I both work from home. I'd like to put in Room 101 those few people who insist on calling or visiting during the workday because "you're home anyway". Most of our friends/family/neighbors understand and respect this, but there are a few who call and engage in lengthy chats while we're trying to work. Not answering the phone doesn't help, because a few of them will ring several times until we answer (thinking it is an emergency, our concentration broken already). Then they'll say, "Where were you? I've been calling and calling!" When we say, "Working!", they'll reply, "Ah! Take a break!" So annoying.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Arsene Wenger......I would put him in room 101. Right NOW.

RichardJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A different reason for r&d is they never build that brand new all singing and dancing product before making us in production build it!
Persiscion (My spelling is not very good) engineering my A@£e!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would like to put myself in. I just cannot get back to LCHF having done it fairly well for 3 years. I feel such a failure. I have been trying really hard for the last week or so and keep failing.

Reactions: 4 people

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
I would like to put myself in. I just cannot get back to LCHF having done it fairly well for 3 years. I feel such a failure. I have been trying really hard for the last week or so and keep failing.
Awwww zand I am sorry. You will get back to it I know but sometimes it's **** hard. Make a plan, be prepared and maybe start from scratch? We all get times like this, it's called being human ;);)

Sent from DCUK App

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Popsy. It all seemed so easy before and now it's not. You are right, I need to start from scratch again.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What are you finding particularly tricky this time around, sand?

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
C'mon sand. You can do it.
Go through your cupboards and fridge and get rid of any ****.
Shop on line so you don't weaken.
Food diary.
Have you got scales?
Post, post post!
Big hug!

Reactions: 4 people