Feeling sorry for myself today.

RosieDred

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a sad day yesterday, just felt fed up and really down and empty. Had a hypo at half 10 last night and had some glucojuice and a breakfast bar. Then on my way out if the kitchen I passed my sisters leftover birthday cake. So I had a slice.

Woke up this morning and I'm 14.4. I feel rubbish, have been up all night weeing and have a pounding headache. I feel completely disgusted with myself. I knew full well that even when I injected for the cake I still went high so to have it without injecting was just plain stupid.

I feel so weak like I just have no willpower or control over myself. I want to do good but I just can't maintain it for more than a few days. I went to Alton towers theme park for the day on Saturday and kept my levels near perfect all day which surprised me. Then I ruined it all yesterday.

Sorry for the moan. I just need to get it out. I felt miserable enough without the **** 14.4 this morning. On the plus side I think I now hate cake.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 8 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well the good news Rosie is that you are perfectly normal! I certainly have had days like that and I am sure many others have too. So today is a new one. You do have willpower ,lots of it, it just had 'a day off', that's all. (and who can blame it after all you've achieved in the past few weeks) So, yes today will be a bit difficult to get yourself back on track, but I know you will do just that.

So stop blaming yourself, it was just a little blip. Be proud of what you have achieved and have a good day today.

I have faith in you

love
zand

Reactions: 5 people

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
....you're not weak Rosie, just human like the rest of us... we all have days like that so don't dwell on it too much, accept that it happens to all of us now and again....you'll be back on track before you know it....:)

Reactions: 2 people

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You know what? Cake is lovely and saying no to stuff all the time is really hard. Eating the same stuff all the time gets boring.
We all have blips, please don't be too hard on yourself. X

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
I think the correct handling of hypos is one of the hardest things to do; it's all very well knowing that this number of Dextro tablets will raise your blood sugar by that number of units but when it's happening it's all too easy to slip.

Your brain, after all, is having a primal 'FEED ME' moment whilst your ability to think clearly is dropping with your blood sugars.

These things happen; so don't beat yourself up.

I hope Alton Towers was good!

Best

Dillinger

RosieDred

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for all of your kind words, they do help. Just been feeling really bummed out at the moment. It doesn't help that I'm off to the dentist this morning again (so fed up of going now) to have filling number 6 out of 10 :(

Hope this darkness lifts soon, I don't cope well being down as in typically a very positive person.

Alton towers was fantastic by the way, took my sister and some friends for her 13th birthday and they all had a fab day :)

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It sounds like you are doing really well overall and this was just one bad moment on one bad day. We all have 'em. Today will be better, tomorrow will be better.

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you for all of your kind words, they do help. Just been feeling really bummed out at the moment. It doesn't help that I'm off to the dentist this morning again (so fed up of going now) to have filling number 6 out of 10 :(

Hope this darkness lifts soon, I don't cope well being down as in typically a very positive person.

Alton towers was fantastic by the way, took my sister and some friends for her 13th birthday and they all had a fab day :)

Like everyone else above said - we all have moments when we slip a bit. It is definitely harder to resist eating sweet stuff if you're having a hypo. At least you only had a slice of cake and not the whole thing!

I hope the dentist went well and you're feeling a little better now. Just do a bit more testing today until those sugar levels are back to normal.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Rosie, you are awesome. You had an off day. I ate 3 Thorntons choccies on Saturday - hubbie given them as a pressie. Kind of ironic as we never got them before we knew about diabetes. Very time I walked past them, they get whispering seductively, eat me!!!! So I ate 3 small ones. Got bike out as knee jerk reaction but got visitor so didn't go and bs went to 9.8:( dragged myself out of it by watching soppy film, painting nails, nice hot shower and smiling at the ever growing pile of clothes which are now too big for me. Get yourself a little bag of treats and have one. When I was a child, we went on lots of hols in caravan . My mum had a rainy day bag with colouring books etc and I was allowed to have something out the bag. Obviously I am not suggesting that you would like a colouring book (although you might - lol!) but there's no reason why we can't have our own adult bag is there? Take carex

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I wouldn't worry. I ate too much one day last week and went into the teens. Obviously the cake plus the hypo recovery stuff all added together. An occasional bit of cake won't do you any harm; try to avoid the icing!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
As Dillinger says earlier it's hard to not to over-treat a hypo when the body is desperately telling you to eat, I think at some point we have all been there and been frustrated why one minute our bg is low and the next it's in the teens, anyway hope you feel much better tomorrow Rosie.

Matilda14919

Hiya
I know exactly how you feel - i make cakes for a living so my house always smells of cake and believe me when I say I have little will power left by Friday :(

when I did DAFNE everything got better and has someone suggested you should treat yourself once in a while - since I bake and decorate everything I know exactly how much carbs are in a sliced cake so it's easier to correct :)

Made my first low sugar cake last week and I was happy with the result taste like cake but with less sugar - you can also try gluten free cakes they tend to have more protein than carbs (some of them always ask about the type of flour soy flour good rice flour bad)

RosieDred

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Rosie, you are awesome. You had an off day. I ate 3 Thorntons choccies on Saturday - hubbie given them as a pressie. Kind of ironic as we never got them before we knew about diabetes. Very time I walked past them, they get whispering seductively, eat me!!!! So I ate 3 small ones. Got bike out as knee jerk reaction but got visitor so didn't go and bs went to 9.8:( dragged myself out of it by watching soppy film, painting nails, nice hot shower and smiling at the ever growing pile of clothes which are now too big for me. Get yourself a little bag of treats and have one. When I was a child, we went on lots of hols in caravan . My mum had a rainy day bag with colouring books etc and I was allowed to have something out the bag. Obviously I am not suggesting that you would like a colouring book (although you might - lol!) but there's no reason why we can't have our own adult bag is there? Take carex
Thanks, scandichic :)
Your bag of treats sounds like my basket of fun lol. I have a basket in my living room coffee table filled with all my fun stuff like handheld consoles, knitting, puzzle books, current novel and ... Colouring books (I actually have one called the creative colouring book for grown ups).
I never thought about using it when I'm finding it hard to resist temptation and I like the idea. Maybe next time I want cake I'll grab something out of the basket to distract myself

RosieDred

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Like everyone else above said - we all have moments when we slip a bit. It is definitely harder to resist eating sweet stuff if you're having a hypo. At least you only had a slice of cake and not the whole thing!

I hope the dentist went well and you're feeling a little better now. Just do a bit more testing today until those sugar levels are back to normal.
Thank you :) Dentist wasn't too bad, I found out I only have 2 more fillings and a wisdom tooth extraction left so that's good. The dentist makes me very anxious :(

I did almost go back for the whole cake so I suppose just having one slice wasn't as bad as it could have been.

Levels were 10.8 before lunch so they are going down a bit.

RosieDred

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya
I know exactly how you feel - i make cakes for a living so my house always smells of cake and believe me when I say I have little will power left by Friday :(

when I did DAFNE everything got better and has someone suggested you should treat yourself once in a while - since I bake and decorate everything I know exactly how much carbs are in a sliced cake so it's easier to correct :)

Made my first low sugar cake last week and I was happy with the result taste like cake but with less sugar - you can also try gluten free cakes they tend to have more protein than carbs (some of them always ask about the type of flour soy flour good rice flour bad)

That must be really hard baking all day and avoiding it! I started baking about 6 months before I was diagnosed and was really enjoying it. The day I got out of hospital I crammed all my baking stuff into the back of the cupboard in a strop.

How did you make your cake last week? I would love to get back into baking but I've just lost all my confidence (I'm extremely nervous in the kitchen)

Miss90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Listen hun don't be hard on yourself, it's perfectly normal! When I go hypo I literally empty out the biscuit tin, then wake up high the next morning... It's difficult at times but you are most deffo normal!! Xx

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Thanks, scandichic :)
Your bag of treats sounds like my basket of fun lol. I have a basket in my living room coffee table filled with all my fun stuff like handheld consoles, knitting, puzzle books, current novel and ... Colouring books (I actually have one called the creative colouring book for grown ups).
I never thought about using it when I'm finding it hard to resist temptation and I like the idea. Maybe next time I want cake I'll grab something out of the basket to distract myself

If I'm trying to avoid temptation, I usually try and change my environment by going out for a walk or eat a piece of cheese! This morning I went through all my clothes again and discarded some more which are too big :)

Cherry-Pie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Rosie,

I found a recipe for a low carb cake that you can make in the microwave (I usually make half the amount)..
Ingredients:
100g ground almonds
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon of melted butter
2 tablespoons of double cream

I mix it all together and put in muffin cases and microwave for three mins - sometimes I add a frozen raspberry in the middle so when it is cooked its all gooey or add some raspberry jam and cream once cooked. Don't get me wrong, its not as good as a cake but on the nights when I have the munchies and all I want to do is raid the biscuit jar its great as its quick to make and doesn't affect my BS :)

Cherry-Pie xx

Reggie64

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who think they know a lot about Diabetes and actually don't.
I agree with all the others, the fact that you had a day off is totally normal.

As we are all aware - Diabetes is with us 24/7 and sometimes gets too much even for those who are well controlled.

To take a break now and again is a good idea as my old phrase of little and often reduces the cravings as with cutting out completely enhances the cravings.

It is also a way of sticking two fingers up to Diabetes.

Keep smiling and you will very soon get back to your lively positive self once more.