Struggling

Leelee101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi guys, just joined. I'm a young diabetic and have had to it 10 years, so I suppose I not that young. I have a great life and great support but I just can't get my diabetes under control. And I'm the main reason.
After having it for a while Im no longer interested and there is so much more I would rather do. Short terms: it annoys the **** out of me.
Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions or feels similar?

Reactions: 4 people

dollydaydream2014

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi guys, just joined. I'm a young diabetic and have had to it 10 years, so I suppose I not that young. I have a great life and great support but I just can't get my diabetes under control. And I'm the main reason.
After having it for a while Im no longer interested and there is so much more I would rather do. Short terms: it annoys the **** out of me.

All the time! But unfortunately there's no escape and as bad as I sometimes feel, I feel worse when sugars are out of control!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Emma2589

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've only had it two weeks, and I feel the same. I can imagine it's quite a common thing. It's a new lifestyle, but without the choice.

What routine are you on for your insulin?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

abs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What insulin do you take?

What's your average levels?

Have you spoken to your diabetic team?

rossworld

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have ups and downs with how I view my diabetes / health , I agree that when my bloods are under control I'm a lot happier and I also see it like - the closest my sugar levels are to a healthy person the more chance I have of leading a normal life with out any extra health worries , I also see it as a way to make sure I eat right and look after myself. With out diabetes this wouldn't be as high up on my priorities as you can get away with a terrible diet and not suffer any consequences - we're not that lucky ! I guess I'm just trying to say you have to focus on the very small positives and not dwell on the negatives !

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
Here's an idea, when you test so many times a day and keep to it for so many days, set yourself a goal/treat. And speak to your parents about the reward that you want. Use it as an incentive( I wish, I'd got this treatment, instead of being punished for mis behaving I was 11/12 at the time) new nail polish etc and work towards one big goal reward, that might help.

Reactions: 2 people

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, you've come up with some very good reasons there for looking after your diabetes, but also, I'm not sure we can assume that it's only diabetics who can't get away with a terrible diet! There's quite a lot of poor health out there which is unrelated to this particular curse. :( So, as you say, look after yourself, things are getting better all the time for treatment of diabetes and when we do fall off the wagon, there's plenty of people on here who understand and will boot us in the right direction:)!

rossworld

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
WI guess what I was trying to emphasise was we wouldn't be able to go on a lads holiday and get drunk every night for a week and live off of energy drinks and pizza ! Our body's simply wouldn't Allow it !

And yes your right , this is a great place to come for support , I only joined today as I'm having troubles of my own and it's comforting to know your not alone !

A positive attitude is defiantly the best way to live with or with out diabetes

Reactions: 2 people

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
Been their and got the T shirt.I am now 65 years old and had T1 for 50 years.I freely admit in my teens I got drunk and ate the wrong things and one day in my early twenties I suddenly decided that I was going to take charge of this bloody pain in the ****,from that day I rule the diabetes it does not rule me,and from that time I nave managed it very we'll and enjoyed my life and family .So good luck

Reactions: 6 people
H

Hooked

Trust me, we all feel like this at times. But after years of not looking after myself properly I've got complications piling up and are now stopping me doing things I used to love as my eyesight isn't so good etc.
Levels under control means that "so much more" you would rather do is possible, rather than feeling tired, thirsty, achy etc that out of control levels leave us feeling.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You can look on it as an interesting study or hobby as well! There's loads of controversy. There's plenty of ignorance in the press to laugh at or fume over. There's scope for lobbying if you are so inclined: God only knows it's very necessary even in this country, let alone in the third world!

I don't think I'm going to blame myself or anyone else for complications if and when they occur. Treatments and understanding has evolved over decades. Things are much better now than when I was first diagnosed. And much much much better than when my father, as a small child, saw a neighbour rush into their front room, grab the teapot from the table and swig the tea from its spout!

I can never be sure about how diabetes will affect me in the future, but looking after my health as much as I can makes for a happier life and a greater sense of calm and personal control, not to mention avoiding those icky symptoms of high or low blood sugar.

Reactions: 3 people