Help! Morning readings over 10

martinsk8r

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Gliklazide.
Trying to get a dive medical.
Hi, I'm type 2 and have been for 9 years. Metformin 200mg and recently stopped Gliclazide. HbA1c 9.7 Last fasting reading was 12.5 10:00am after hospital blood teat.
I started on Insulin Humulin M3 10 days ago and am still getting high morning readings 11.6 this morning. Still on 2000mg Metformin. + 2 x 12units M3
Is it likely that my morning readings will come down? I dont eat during the night.
Am I still a type 2? I'm not sure if I produce any insulin now.
Can anyone recognise these symptoms.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What are you eating? I notice a direct link between what I eat the day before, and my fasting reading the next morning.

For example, I am usually well under 7.
Last night we skipped out for a lovely curry (buna prawn on puree, chicken dhansak, brinjal barji, sag paneer, no bread or rice). I knew I was in trouble as soon as I tasted the dhansak. It was supposed to be sweetened with pineapple, but they must have used sugar instead. Delicious, but this morning's reading was 7.6
:(

martinsk8r

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Gliklazide.
I can only dream of those numbers. 10.2 this morning, injected 14 units.
Had a protein shake for breakfast that has no carbs. 2 hours later BG 10.3.
So my BG goeas up when I don't have carbs. Yesterday diabetic nurse said I will have to keep increasing insulin.
I'm still classed as type 2 and always will be, so that is cleared up. Seems that my body doeasn't use insulin correctly.
Any suggestions to help will be apretiated.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What do you eat, apart from protein shakes?

Protein can raise bg as well.

martinsk8r

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Gliklazide.
Hi Totto,
I only tried the protein shake as I didn't want to eat any carbs. Yesterday I ate oats as I felt I needed at least some carbs but today just the shake.
BG was 14.5 2 hrs after cereal and 10.3 2 hrs after the shake. Better but a way to go as yet.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I often have full fat Greek yoghurt with shredded coconut for breakfast. Works fine, sometimes with a sprinkling of cinnamon for taste.

Reactions: 3 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd suggest using a protein breakfast (scrambled eggs, with minimal milk, for example) and see if there is any difference.