Mum of newly diagnosed T1

dizzydoll

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thats terrible. I'm really sorry to hear that I knew we were lucky with how on board my daughters school have been but didn't realise just how little other schools wanted involved. Is it maybe different rules for different areas?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

sugar-monsters

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
There are schools in our area who inject insulin etc but it's of there own free will! I guess the principal of my little girls school jus couldn't b bothered wit the hassell ! I am goin to mayb after Easter approach her again but not sure it will make a difference:( I no there is people at the school willing to take it on but that's no gud if the principal drags her heels! At the end of the day ill b there for my daughter it would jus b such a great help nat to hav to call to her school at lunch time everyday ESP as I hav my little boy to out and in alday long in all weathers :(

Reactions: LaurieCurtis

dizzydoll

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I really hope you get somewhere with her. Really not ideal that your having to go in every day (esp if there are staff willing to do the injections)

sugar-monsters

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I really hope you get somewhere with her. Really not ideal that your having to go in every day (esp if there are staff willing to do the injections)

Ano I hate even leaving her in school as I don't feel they no enough r take it seriously but I guess I can onli do my best and try my hardest!

clucker34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Rudeness
I was diagnosed at 18mths old and quite clearly remember my dad having to sit on me to do my injections, I also had to inject in a broom cupboard at school as to not upset anyone else! I'm 36 this yr, it hasn't done me any harm, kids are great at adapting and 34 yrs ago there wasn't half the stuff around that there is now , I'm sure your all doing a great jobs with your little ones and they will thank you one day as I did my parents, I wouldn't be here without them x x

sugar-monsters

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Tanks it's positive words like those keep me goin for another bit lol ;) and if anyting makes me great full as times hav come on a bit since then! Jus out of interest a lot of people say to me it's as well she got it now whiles she's young as she won't ever have known different! Is this true? And is it like a secondary ting for u now? I no I should concentrate on now but I do look into the future and it's scares me a little

jojojojo2012

The future scares me too and I don't deal well with no sleep so today is a bad day, I also work so life is difficult. I caught sight of some photos the other day of us all eating out on holiday and cried my head off like we would never do that again! Stupid cos nothing stopping us except me! You can't keep going everyday to school for rest of her school life what if you had a job? It's not on I'm sure my nurse said thy don't have to agree to do it but in that case they must employ someone specially to do it.... Not sure how you would go about that? Are you on Facebook? There's some groups in there that really help parents of type one kids and they know all about the legal rights etc.

sugar-monsters

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
God I actuali had a little tear there :( it's funny u say that thou no matter wur I go I must look I stalk other peoples kids but I jus starre at them wit jealousy that they can eat wen and watever they like witout a thought! I can onli no how I feel as a parent I hate to tink how u feel :( but I'm sure ur family would b sad if they new u felt this way :(

I've tried every route wit the school unfortunateli but I'll keep fighting and researching but by that time she could b injecting herself lol I hav to laugh cause if I don't laugh I'd cry lol

I hope ur day goes in quick for ESP as ur do tired :(

clucker34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Rudeness
Hi again, it's second nature to me, I don't know any different, I can't imagine what it must be like for anyone who is diagnosed after spending life "normally". It's just part of me, don't get me wrong there are some days I could scream the house down because I get so frustrated but generally I just get on with it. :)

sugar-monsters

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Well I jus hope my little girl grows up wit the same attitude that's great I guess ya hav sum bad days to u onli human after all ;)

Just Laura

For what it's worth, it has got easier as time has gone on for us.

Our daughter was diagnosed at 5yrs old, just over a year ago and just the other day she said to me "it's just one of those things Mummy, like brushing your teeth. It's not a very nice thing and a bit annoying but just something I have to do."

They're so resilient. I often think it's worse for us Mummies. (And Dad's, of course!)

x

sugar-monsters

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Ah god love her dats so sweet and onli 5 it's heartbreaking2 :( but I surpose Lyin in the corner won't change anyting so wats the point?!? I guess we r jus goin to hav days wur ya feel it more than others like why did this hav to happen, my friend said to me wen my little girl was diagnosed it makes her special and god onli send special children to special people I'm nat religious r tink myself special in anyhow but I never forgot it ;)

Reactions: 3 people

Lauramurph

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
H
Hi all, only just joined today, my 11 year old son was diagnosed last Tuesday night with T1, who has taken it extremely well, i on the other hand, have not! Everything is only just starting to sink in, a lot of mixed emotions going on atm :/ but am trying to stay as strong and as positive as possible, am trying to encourage him to sign up himself and chat to other kids his age with T1, but his too busy watching a film lol xxx
T

sugar-monsters

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
U "wur" using a pump?
I no a mum of an 18 month diabetic so so hard at that age I'm sure it was a big struggle for u at the time :(

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I do not envy parents of children with diabetes.
I was diagnosed at 20 and 30 years on my mum has never stopped being that little bit extra caring towards me than my non diabetic brothers.
Your children will be checked and monitored for their healths for the rest of their lives, and thats not a bad thing.
They will eat better than all the junk food, sweet eating kids... They can still eat normal foods and treats.
Be proud of yourselves as Parents, as life is so much better for having your worries and concerns over us diabetic children. Your children and you will be so much stronger and better for your managing diabetes.
Its hard, but parents... Honest, you do not have to fear the future... It will still be good for your children.