Vista Home Premium

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Trying to install printer ink to printer. In XP there used to be a box that said 'This is not the approved ink do you want to continue' Does anyone know if this box is on Vista because I can't find it and the printer will not accept the ink.I've never had this trouble before!! :( :( :evil: :evil:

Thirsty

Sue, what make and model of printer do you have? I can't promise a solution as I stayed with XP, but there's usually a fix available and I'll ask around if you like. Usually it's the drivers provided by the manufacturors that stop you from using anything other than their products.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Thanks Thirsty,it's an Epson C82.up till now it's always accepted unapproved ink!!

Buachaille

Dislikes
Blondes with small...................................
I use an HP with Vista Business and get that message even when I use HP cartridges purchased from the HP site. I simply close the drop down box telling me the ink is incorrect, go to the printer utility and run the cartridge alignment test sheet. It works then with no problems.

Jimbo1973

Dislikes
Beetroot, Cucumber, Radish, Prawns - and arrogant people that have no understanding of how ill you can really be without looking ill
Sue,

Is it a new cartridge or have you refilled it ?
If it's new it could be faulty, if it's a refill, maybe time to get a replacement one - try this first though@

Remove BOTH cartridges from your printer and switch it off. You then need to shake the cartridge your having problems with, a good few shakes should do it. Switch it back on and reinstall the cartridges. Now go into your printer utilities and print a test sheet, you may find that this works.

Jimbo

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
These are new cartridges,Jimbo ,not refills.The trouble is I can't print anything if the printer keeps showing 'empty' cartridges!I really need it to work i have a backlog of stuff i need to print for work!Some of it is on programmes that I do not have at work so flashdriving and printing at work is not an option.

Thirsty

I don't know if this free utility will work under Vista but it's really useful for resetting Epson printers. Might be worth a try.

Link.

P.S. It's safe, I've used it for years.

Jimbo1973

Dislikes
Beetroot, Cucumber, Radish, Prawns - and arrogant people that have no understanding of how ill you can really be without looking ill
Sue,

A common fault with the C82, along with a few other Epson printers, is the chip that reads the cartridge goes. This will ultimately lead to the error message that you are getting. If you can download the resetting tool for it, it may work again. It may be time to bite the bullet and get yourself a new printer rather then try and get it repaired. After buggering up two epsons, mainly because I bought cheap inferior ink, I vowed never to have another.

Sorry I cant be any further help Sue

Jimbo

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Thanks both,I will get my son to look at that website,Thirsty to see if it is possible.I notice it doesn't mention the C82 though .

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
So what sort of printers do members have? Any good recommendations.I've had that printer for 5 years with no trouble at all.

Thirsty

I've had a few Epson printers, mostly because they're cheap and I've always been able to find compatible ink cartridges at a fraction of the cost of the genuine product. The main problem I've found is that the print heads are integral rather than contained in the cartridges. With a Hewlett Packard and some other printers you get a new print head with every cartridge you buy. This means you don't waste tons of expensive ink running Epson's cleaning cycle over and over again. Compatible cartridges are difficult if not impossible to find, though, so it's swings and roundabouts. Also, it's usually much cheaper to buy a new printer than to get one repaired, plus they come with ink already supplied.

Currently, I have a clunky old Epson D78 for everyday use and a Lexmark P350 photo printer for 6" prints. Pretty good.

Oh, Sue, if you can get that utility to work with Vista it should pick up your C82 automatically. The models mentioned on the website are those which have been added recently, not the full range it supports.

P.S. Just checked the site again and the C82 is supported to a limited degree. Link.

Jimbo1973

Dislikes
HP Photosmart C4485 now Sue, I swear by HP products. Even though the ink is dearer, unless you can find it on special offer in ASDA @ half price :lol:, I will never change away from them. The print quality for letters and other documents is superb and, because its a photosmart, the quality for photos I find second to none.

The main issue with the HP printers is cost of ink. However, my local ASDA has had an offer recently with the cartridges at less than half price, so i've stocked up on a few black an colour ones for the future. I no longer use the cheap generic cartridges for the reasons I outlined in a post above - it's best, in my humble opinion, to always use the genuine manufacturers cartridges as these have been tested to perform correctly in the printers by the manufacturers.

Previous experience of Lexmark printers: Cheap to buy, excellent quality but the cost of replacement cartidges is horrendous, even more expensive then the HP ones I found.

Jimbo

C

catherinecherub

Hi Sue,
My first HP printer lasted about 6yrs. I bought HP again and,touch wood, it is going strong now after 8yrs. It is all down to personal preference. HP printers do not like the recycled cartridges or cheaper substitutes.
Catherine.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Sue,

In the past I've had HP, Lexmark Epson and Oki. I currently use Canon - I have a little Pixma MP470 which is brilliant for normal and photo-quality printing, and a bigger and faster Pixma MP780 (print, fax, copy, scan). One thing they all have in common is that they don't seem to like anything but the manufacturer's own ink. I've tried own brand stuff from Viking Direct, PC World and Staples and found the quality is very poor by comparison. It may be a bit cheaper but each cartridge only lasted half as long, so actually ended up costing more.

My older son is a printer by trade and he reckons that Canon these days set the standards that other print manufacturers try to aspire to!

Trinkwasser

Dennis said:
Hi Sue,

In the past I've had HP, Lexmark Epson and Oki. I currently use Canon - I have a little Pixma MP470 which is brilliant for normal and photo-quality printing, and a bigger and faster Pixma MP780 (print, fax, copy, scan). One thing they all have in common is that they don't seem to like anything but the manufacturer's own ink. I've tried own brand stuff from Viking Direct, PC World and Staples and found the quality is very poor by comparison. It may be a bit cheaper but each cartridge only lasted half as long, so actually ended up costing more.

My older son is a printer by trade and he reckons that Canon these days set the standards that other print manufacturers try to aspire to!

Most pro photographers seem to use Epsons.

Our local print shop uses Canon lasers. My Xerox laser comes close but the surface finish isn't so good.

Agree on the ink though, also paper. My Epson inkjet is **** on anything but their own papers, the laser will blow it away on standard paper or white card. Feed it Archival Matte or Premium Photo Glossy and the inkjet is astonishing.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
It will get final chance tomorrow when number three son looks at it.If FBR then it will go in bucket and a new one bought!!