Ideas Please

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just had half a small tin of red salmon (50g) with 6 cherry tomatoes and Hellman's original mayo. I would have had 100g salmon but I'm watching my protein at the moment. It doesn't sound much, but I do have a slice of granary bread and butter with it! I hate green salads. Egg mayo is also useful with chopped onions.

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
ohh l can handle egg mayo and "onyums" never thought of that l think of a cold hard lump of oval egg wobbling on a plate.!
I don't eat much fish but force myself. Tuna l like but keep that low and doesn't have omega3 in.

l think l could live on garlic!

The cold brussels and cauli l will pass they need to be hot and cauli with melted cheese on. Will read the squash info later ta :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Stilton and pear (only need 1/4 of a pear to get the flavour)
Felafel
Hummus
Coleslaw, with or without dressing
Sauerkraut
Pickled ginger (watch the sugar levels in vinegar)
Balsamic vinegar (ditto)
Teensy dab of wasabi
Nasturshums (sp?)
Pomegranate seeds
Sunflower/pumpkin seeds (can roast in soy sauce)
Parmesan
Teensy diced sprinkles of sun dried tomatoes and/or aubergine

Avocado stays green if tossed in lemon juice

What does mozzarella do to your blood glucose levels? It's ok for me, and divine with cherry toms or pomegranate.

Yes, I am a foodie. Lol.

Reactions: 2 people

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Stilton ...ok you are also insane like my hub was that stuff attacks you when you open the kitchen let alone fridfe door!!!

Didnt realise vibegar thought it would be ok thanks for that :)

Sunflower and pumpkin are in my snack box not sure l would want them cooked.

Thanks re avo to be honest none will be around enought to go brown sluuuuuurrrrrp yumm

Nastursians no chance l tried a bit of one and l burnt for hours way to spicy for me ditto to ginger ouch

I am a chedder person so not worried about others...l have liked wenslydale and cranberries but pricey so stick to cc

Tried humus once wasnt sure on it will try some more sometime.

falafel ...huh?

Not had sourkraut (sp) or wasabi

will read closer over yhe weekend on all ideaz and see which l could do with...ta :-D

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Don't forget Tuna as a source of protein, I particularly like Rocket leaves in my salad and plenty of Beetroot.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

How do you stop your avos from browning?

Don't bin the stone. Put it in with your salad/guacamole/whatever and the stone will protect the avocado flesh from browning. (Don't eat it obviously!)

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I need new salad ideas please l work all over and so lunch is easiest as salad. I make a tub with the following and it lasts about 3 or 4 days:

Bag mixed leaves
2 portions full fat mayo (helmans) into the leaves
1 chopped onion
1 grated carrot
some grated cheese +/- 80grm
1 chopped red or orange or yellow pepper (vary for colour)
tiny tomatoes a couple eaten whole

Occasional l chop some pepperoni into it but mostly not now am getting tired of it.
I have been spring onioned out
beetroot l am wary of l drop to much on me and it stains :oops:
celery l am not keen on
Forget spicy things l can not eat korma or even pepper as to hot

I am unable to eat yogurt it spikes me even the 3gram/100 and l like that but l have berrys and cream for afters instead.

I need some ideas to add into the salad,l looked at baby corn but think that is to high carb for the size packet and it would go to waste as hub doesnt eat it.
Asparagus l always think of as going soggy

Help l am getting saladed out and with work it isnt practical to have anything else l need variety

MID :(

Why not fry some bacon, chicken, steak or other meat tasting good cold and add that to salad just before eating.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

This thread made me want coleslaw tonight! Just eaten a big bowl of cheesy coleslaw for dinner.

red cabbage
onion
half a carrot (living dangerously)
celery
walnuts
grated cheddar
mayo
Greek yog

All the flavour of a Greggs Cheese Savoury, but without the crazy carbs :woot:

Kallyloo

Beetroot salad? Sainsburys be good to yourself only has about 5 grams of carb for a large table spoon. It's my salad addiction, and it's not bad warm either.

audsital

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat carbs!
Fennel and orange salad, thin cut the fennel and peeled med size orange (blood oranges are good) mix together in a bowl with some olive oil and salt to taste.
Also theres mushroom and celery salad, cut thinish pieces if celery and mix in a bowl with some thin sliced champingnon(chestnut?) Mushrooms, using a potato peeler peel some shavings of grana padana cheese, add olive oil, salt to taste and the juice from half a lemon ,mix all together and serve.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have an apple and walnuts on my salads.
Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

One of my favourite salads is apple, walnuts, celery, and chopped chicken in a sour cream and chive dressing. I make enough for two meals (1/2 apple per day) and leave the walnuts out until I'm ready to eat it so they won't lose their crunch.

Another is feta cheese with black olives, cherry tomatoes and basil leaves, with olive oil.

Prawns with courgette slices, again with sour cream and chives. I cook this and eat it either warm or coldish next day.

Grated raw courgette and (cheddar) cheese with a few roasted peanuts for crunch.

Or pastryless quiche: tinned salmon with asparagus, with egg, cream, dill , and maybe a bit of cream cheese; or mushroom and chicken, or prawn and diced apple or prawn & avocado would work as filling too.

I used to have a crab with lime and caper recipe, which I can't find any more but think it would go with a nice mixed salad too.

And another (which I don't think I dare eat any more...) ham, sweet gherkin, iceberg lettuce and/or cucumber and boiled new potatoes, all chopped and mixed in with mayonnaise.

I'm another one who doesn't like cold straight from fridge stuff so meat & cheese get warmed slightly in the microwave but I'd draw the line at warm salad greens!

I'm going to be working through the suggestions for ideas too.

Robbity