Stopping smoking

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anybody quit smoking using patches?

Did it affect your bg?

I'm going to the doctors this afternoon hopefully to get a prescription for some patches and wondered if they affect bg?

I've tried to quit on my own and I couldn't do it. I've got very little willpower!

Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 people

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
I know it's not related to patches, but have you tried e-cigs? They're great for weaning yourself off nicotine, as you can keep on smoking them as normal (but without all the nasty carcinogens) but gradually decrease the nicotine concentration. The non-disposable ones are very affordable too, as the 'e-juice' only costs a few quid per bottle, and they last quite a while depending on how much you use them. So far, I've completely cut out smoking at home and just stick to the e-cig.

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done :)
I had one before but I didn't like it, I brought it off the internet and ended up selling it a few weeks later, it did nothing for me :(

I think I'm an all or nothing kind of girl!

Indiana x

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I quit using 24 hour patches in conjunction with hypnotherapy (7 years ago this August). I bought the first week of patches and my seriously impressed Dr prescribed the rest of the 3 month course for me. I don't remember them affecting my BG.

Nobody thought I'd would ever be able to give up, least of all me ;) I had smoked 2 packs a day for 35 years :eek:

In hindsight, I can't believe how easy it was - before I quit I was sure I would always have cravings forever more. Now I find cigarette smoke really annoying :yuck:

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good for you! Well done!

I don't smoke that many and I'm not allowed to smoke at work so the day times aren't an issue. It's the evenings I find it hard. After dinner or when I'm out with friends.

Thinking about it, it would probably be best if I stopped drinking too. I smoke like a chimney when I've had a few. My friends are going to think I'm knocked up!

Indiana x

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think the most useful bit of advice I got was that it was not an addiction, it was a habit. I wrestled with that idea for a few days, but once I'd accepted it the rest was easy.

Reactions: 4 people

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks.
I'll tell myself that then.

Indiana x

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I tried patches a few times but always went back smoking. Ended up using Champix and not smoked for over. 4 years now. Good luck and hope you quit :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done :)

Thanks, I've managed to quit before but it never lasts for longer than a few months. I think I know someone that used Champix and I think they made him ill :s

Indiana x

Samanthacxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Why don't you try hypnotherapy? I'm a hypnotherapist and I've had many people quit with the first try (one of my clients claims she can't remember what it was like to smoke!)

Good luck! X

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 3 people

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If my patches fail, I think that will be my next step!

Indiana x

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am cheating. In January 2013 when I was diagnosed with breast cancer I went on patches. I was smoking about 25 a day. My GP won't prescribe them unless you attend their quit smoking classes so I had to buy my own as group therapy is simply not my thing. I did really well and got down to 2 a day, many days none at all. It is now 16 months later and I'm still wearing patches and smoking a few, not many. If I stop the patches my smoking increases, so I am running on the theory that nicotine patches plus a few cigs are better for me than 25 cigs and no patches! My husband is trying the E Cigs and looks ridiculous!

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't want to go to group sessions!!

"My name is Indiana and I'm a smoker" no thank you!!

2 fags is certainly better than 25!

Indiana x

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I went to the GP Surgery's Smoking Cessation Clinic and they gace me a prescription for a course of Champix. It was very effective and I have never smoked since.

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm surprised at how many options there are! My appointment is in about an hour so I'll see what he suggests for me :)

Indiana x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Just make sure you quit for good this time Indiana, smoking and diabetes is not a good combination as it increases the likelihood of complications, good luck and keep us updated on your progress :)

Pez68

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogant people
I've been on the ecig tank since December, from 40 fags a day and not had a fag since, it's worked for me at present and not cravings anything. I'm not saying it's a cure but it's cheaper and works.

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, I've seen the doctor and he said that he can't help me and that I need to book in to see his nurse. Seeing her on the 29th so fingers crossed!

Indiana x