Slimming world

H

Hooked

I did it ages ago and found it great. I lost the 2 stone I needed to easily. (Though have put that back on, plus an extra one, in this last 3 years of not being as good and unable to be as active as I used to.)
I'd thoroughly recommend it. I found it easier to follow and adapt of diabetes than the WW routine. Though it has been almost 3 years since I've been to it, so it may have changed somewhat since then.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
When my good lady did SW a few years back there was a type 2 diabetic that was on the course and they lost 5 stones, my wife asked the course co-ordinator if they also allowed type 1's to join SW, the answer was yes although I don't know how they work around meal plans and such but you could always contact them and ask.

Donna1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Im on it and find the planning of meals is helping me control diabetes better as im not long diagnosed! Was jus wondering how other type 1,s found it

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Has any type 1,s done slimming world diet? And how do yous find it with type 1!

My daughter, type 1, tried it..( 16) ..but kept on having so many hypos....it took quite a bit of working out ...she doesnt eat 'junk' food...but it must be the way the slimming world metabolic 'diet' is worked out and the change of eating plan...i am going to talk to the diabetic dietician, as my daughter is on Levemir and Novorapid, as she still must eat a certain amount of carbs for the Levemir

Donna1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I mostly do extra easy days n if workin do a green day on it so i can have some carbs

m1dpq

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not a great lot.. Jazz, People who think they are better than others..
Re:- Donna1 ----

I am T2 with Insulin and Gliclazide and i have been a member of Slimming World since 2002..

I haev lost 5.5 Stones in this time and I am a Target member... But I found it hard at first but with support from my Consultant and from making friends at class, it does become easier..

In total I am now 19st 4lbs, down from 30st.. If i can do it then anyone can, and i don't stick to it 100%, I like chocolate too much!!!!

Peter

Reactions: 7 people

kproctor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Has any type 1,s done slimming world diet? And how do yous find it with type 1!

Hi I'm a type 1 and I'm currently doing SW. I find it one of the easiest diets I've done for my diabetes. It's really just a healthy eating plan. I'm on DAFNE ( dose adjustment for normal eating) so as long as I get my insulin dose right I'm fine. I have had to make a few changes as I've lost weight because I don't need as much insulin but apart from that I it's been so easy! The SW leader only has advice leaflets for type 2 diabetics however.

Donna1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Aye my class is same only covers type 2 but yeah it is a good diet n easy to work alongside diabetes coz its all home cooked non processed meals plus although i dont eat much take aways, crisps or chocolate n i exercise a lot i didnt have a lot to lose jus a wee but of gain after diagnosis but i do love big portions so this diet is ideal for me! N well done N1DPQ on yer weight loss keep it up! Any slimming world tips or recipes, do share guys lol

Reactions: 2 people

scoyyt57

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Joined last Tuesday, so first weigh in tomorrow. Have found it very easy so far. Used to do WW and always found that initially starting their diet would hypo. No problems so far this week on SW

Matilda14919

My daughter, type 1, tried it..( 16) ..but kept on having so many hypos....it took quite a bit of working out ...she doesnt eat 'junk' food...but it must be the way the slimming world metabolic 'diet' is worked out and the change of eating plan...i am going to talk to the diabetic dietician, as my daughter is on Levemir and Novorapid, as she still must eat a certain amount of carbs for the Levemir

Maybe she can ask them to switch her levemir - because this insulin is mostly used by active sport people

catsbd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I joined SW last week, lost 3 1/2 lbs this week! Whoo hoo only another 30 or so to go! Blood sugars are much better while following the plan.
Type 1, 41 years.

Reactions: 2 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Maybe she can ask them to switch her levemir - because this insulin is mostly used by active sport people

Or reduce the Levemir so she doesn't have to eat so many carbs. As long as her insulin dose is forcing her to eat carbs, she is going to find it very hard to lose weight on any kind of diet. This is one of the main problems of losing weight as a T1. You must usually reduce your basal dose (slowly and progressively) in order to sustain progressive weight loss.