Stopping smoking

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been an on-off smoker for years, quite habitual in my youth, but more recently occaisional and based on stress.

Post diagnosis and with other stuff going on it was starting to creep back in, to the extent that I was buying duty free cigars on my trips abroad and it was becoming a habit again. The only thing I can say that stopped me was throwing a mental switch. I still want to smoke, and the thought of a nice cigar is pretty attractive, but as with all these things, its a choice.

Today my choice is not to smoke.

That's all it needs to be - a choice you make today, no different from a choice to eat well or do some exercise.

I hope you cna kick the habit

Reactions: 3 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Has anybody quit smoking using patches?

Did it affect your bg?

I'm going to the doctors this afternoon hopefully to get a prescription for some patches and wondered if they affect bg?

I've tried to quit on my own and I couldn't do it. I've got very little willpower!

Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've had 2 successful periods of non smoking, the first was homemade aversion therapy by focusing on the act of smoking, take note that when you draw the smoke in its hot on your throat (something the brain normally blocks out) draw again and feel it burn. After you have smoked half the cigarettee like this, take a draw feel the heat and then cough while the smoke is in your lungs. It took a few days before I couldn't stand to light a cigarette and gave up for 5 years before restating

then out came the nicotine patches and chewies, they work and I've stopped several times with them. I'd then weaken and buy a pack or restarted by accepting an offer of a cigarette from a friend, thinking one wont hurt after a dozen of these over a week or so, you buy a pack to pay them back and in a few days you're back to 20-30 a day,

the last time, I got short of breath and went to hospital, They took a cat scan looking for enfersemia and growths/cancer. Luckily it turned out to be a week in hospital with viral pneumonia, Scared the hell out of me and I haven't smoked since, it brought the reality of smoking home to me.

to be honest you seem to be playing at giving up, or you would just buy the patches and wouldn't wait for the appointment on the 29th

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Group therapy and other therapy techniques can be really effective in stopping smoking, and also in dieting (eg Lighter Life). I think you can also get Alan Carr classes prescribed on the NHS, they also can be very effective. Quitting smoking is 2% chemical, 98% mental.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm another one that Champix worked for - over 3 years now and the thought of smoking brings only revulsion nowadays. Pretty amazing after being a chain smoker for 45 years!

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had 2 successful periods of non smoking, the first was homemade aversion therapy by focusing on the act of smoking, take note that when you draw the smoke in its hot on your throat (something the brain normally blocks out) draw again and feel it burn. After you have smoked half the cigarettee like this, take a draw feel the heat and then cough while the smoke is in your lungs. It took a few days before I couldn't stand to light a cigarette and gave up for 5 years before restating

then out came the nicotine patches and chewies, they work and I've stopped several times with them. I'd then weaken and buy a pack or restarted by accepting an offer of a cigarette from a friend, thinking one wont hurt after a dozen of these over a week or so, you buy a pack to pay them back and in a few days you're back to 20-30 a day,

the last time, I got short of breath and went to hospital, They took a cat scan looking for enfersemia and growths/cancer. Luckily it turned out to be a week in hospital with viral pneumonia, Scared the hell out of me and I haven't smoked since, it brought the reality of smoking home to me.

to be honest you seem to be playing at giving up, or you would just buy the patches and wouldn't wait for the appointment on the 29th

No, I'm not playing at giving up I do want to. I've tried to quit on my own plenty of times and have failed. If there's help out there, why wouldn't I take it?

Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavideB

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
I was 40 a day roll ups no filters: I did a website for a guy that sells e-liquids cigs just before Christmas and he gave me one to try. Not had a cig since fancy one now and again but doing ok. I think the trick is the strength of the liquid you start with. I have heard that people start with a low strength and go back to smoking. I would suggest start with a high one and drop down in time....

The only thing....I HAVE PUT ON SOME WEIGHT!!!! :arghh:

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was prescribed champix to give up smoking and I had a really rough time with it. I'm not saying that everyone will be the same but it can be dangerous as it can cause nasty side effects including suicidal tendencies and alter your mental state. In the end me and my partner went cold turkey and been free of smoking for about a year now

Type 2 diagnosed 24/01/2013.
Novomix 30, Victoza, metformin 2000mg sr (but not taking them as they play havoc with my insides,

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I was prescribed champix to give up smoking and I had a really rough time with it. I'm not saying that everyone will be the same but it can be dangerous as it can cause nasty side effects including suicidal tendencies and alter your mental state. In the end me and my partner went cold turkey and been free of smoking for about a year now

Type 2 diagnosed 24/01/2013.
Novomix 30, Victoza, metformin 2000mg sr (but not taking them as they play havoc with my insides,
It worked for me but totally agree, it's not for everyone. I used to have some really weird dreams :cool:

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to have some really weird dreams :cool:

They were the best bit. I used to look forward to going to bed. "What's on tonight?"

Invariably I woke up thinking, "Wow, that was amazing".

Wish I could get some more!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You also get really weird dreams on the 24 hour patches, so I remove mine when I go to bed. This must mean they are less effective as the nicotine is released evenly over the 24 hours and probably the reason they haven't been completely successful for me.

David Gray

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi Indiana, everyone is different so here`s my story. I decided to quit after smoking for nearly 30 years and always joking that smoking would be the death of me. I decided to smoke e-cigs and used skycig as they seemed to be the most like cigarettes. After day one, i didn`t smoke or crave another proper cig. They were great as you get the hit of smoking without all the **** in tobacco. However they were quite expensive so in January (15 months later) joined a cessation thingy where you get a free 10 week course from the chemist. I tried patches, but found they did nothing, had an inhalator but that wasn`t for me, then tried gum, wow, it worked! It gave me the nicotine taste i craved. The bad side is that a week later i was diagnosed type 1!! But as you are already type 1, it won`t give you diabetes lol;)