What if I Cheat

Rod

I have been on the Dr Clarke diet for near on a month and am delighted with the results. My weight is down and my average blood sugar levels are down from 7+ to very low 5s or below. Cholestrol remains very low. I shall continue with the maintenance plan.

What happens if circumstances, or a lack of willpower, force me to cheat on the low carbs for say a couple of meals? Do I just revert to the diet I do I need to be extra strict for a few days? Surely I don't go back to square one?

I don't foresee this happening but working away from home, during long and unsociable hours can make life difficult. While I haven't missed my spuds I suppose even one of those could one day seem appealing :D

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I occasionally stumble on a carb .I just "pick myself up,dust myself off and start all over again."
There's no point in beating yourself up for something you cannot change.
Nearly everybody slips off the wagon accasionally

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Just get straight back to where I left off
I don't follow any particular plan, just avoid carbs, so I just make sure I'm careful with meals following the slip.

C

catherinecherub

Hello Rod,
You just carry on as though you hadn't cheated and the blood sugars will drop again. It is only human to cheat and I think I speak for most of us when I say we are all guilty of it. Don't do it too often. Christmas is a perfect example of when we cheat.

Worrying is the worst thing out for your blood sugars as it tends to make them rise.
Catherine.

Trinkwasser

I cheated today, lassagne in the pub. It didn't harm me as much as it would have done a few years back (reduced insulin resistance, I suspect)

Just don't make a habit of it . . .

saz1

I reckon I must have such a horrendous insulin resistance that is easing off sslowly now. It seems that when I have slipped heavily (Wagamama, noooooodles....) my sugars went in the beginning to about 10-11 :evil: but I went recently again and ended up having 7.1 at same time interval. Not that I'm complaining, but what I have done is have even less carbs the next meal, eg no root veg at all or no oatcakes and my sugars have come down within a few hours. And it goes to show how strong insulin resistance can be...amazing! :twisted:

Trinkwasser

saz1 said:
I reckon I must have such a horrendous insulin resistance that is easing off sslowly now. It seems that when I have slipped heavily (Wagamama, noooooodles....) my sugars went in the beginning to about 10-11 :evil: but I went recently again and ended up having 7.1 at same time interval. Not that I'm complaining, but what I have done is have even less carbs the next meal, eg no root veg at all or no oatcakes and my sugars have come down within a few hours. And it goes to show how strong insulin resistance can be...amazing! :twisted:

Yes that seems to be endemic in our family, even among skinny fit people. Simply cutting the carbs seems to have had a major effect in itself, and it's set up a virtuous circle, I have much more energy and no longer become too knackered to exercise (both high and low BG seem to have that effect) which also serves to reduce the IR.

Wait until you get your lipids checked (if you can get a Full Lipid Panel), look at the trigs/HDL ratio. Mine went from nearly 7 to under 0.5