Newly diagnosed and confused

Propertyoflife

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys,
I'm 19 and was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes between xmas and newyear. When first diagnosed my blood sugar levels were at 12.8. My cousin is type 1 diabetic and he became concerned that despite taking my medication and altering my diet etc I was now receiving blood sugar readings of 26.7. they rose to 29.3 and i made an appointment to see my doctor. She has put me on three metformin 500 a day until monday whn she wants to refer me to the hospital clinic. She now says I may have been experiencing a 'honeymoon' period and could infact be type 1.
She said that i had to prepare myself to be told i would be insulin dependant when i visited the clinic. I was just wondering how likely this is?

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
this is definately a good possibility, in the meantime if you feel really ill go to a & e as i too was diagnosed like this, i got ill real quick with ketoacidosis, did the metformin lower the bloods at all? do you live nr your cousin ,if so do they have any ketosticks u could borrow, until your appointment all i can say is that if at any time u become unwell plz go to hospital, take care and let us know how u get on :D

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'd agree with totsy, get yourself along to A&E as soon as you can. Blood sugar levels rising to that extent in such a short time suggests type 2 oral medications aren't working for you.
When you get there, ask them for a c-peptide score on your blood sample. This will give you a much more certain diagnosis of the diabetes type.

Good luck, and please keep in touch

fergus

Propertyoflife

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks guys.
Tablets arent having any affect on levels at all.
At my work just now - just checked my levels which are 23.4 so not as bad as usual.

Will keep you posted

diabetesmum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Propertyoflife,

You really REALLY need to test your ketones. If your cousin doesn't have any urine sticks (Ketostix) or even better, blood ketone testing strips, pse buy yourself some from a chemist. If you have more than a trace of ketones, seek medical help urgently: go to A&E. You can go from being reasonably well to critically ill in a matter of hours once you become ketotic, please don't leave it.

At 19 you are more likely to be Type 1 than Type 2, and are therefore at great risk of developing ketoacidosis.

Good luck, please let us know how you get on.
Sue

Propertyoflife

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi guys, quick update-i'm posting from th hospital. Shortly after i last posted i was violently sick at work.my boss called nhs24 who advised me to go to a&e. Urine was tested and i was admitted on th spot. Have been on an insulin drip thing since i came in although just before dinner they started injecting it.waiting now to see th diabetes doctor tomorrow to decide how this will be managed. Sound like a wean but i am terrifed!! Just wanted to say thanks for alerting me a little more to th severity. Otherwise i probably wouldn't have gone to a&e due to the last visit i had,which i'm not sure whether to be annoyed about.

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi Propertyfile,
Your in the right place to be sorted now, ask them as many questions as you need to, but don't worry if you don't remember them all, they'l be plenty here on the forum to answer them for you when you get out of hospital. Hope your stay in hospital is a short one, not keen on hospitals myself, tho its the only place i get complete peace from the kids lol, tho never peace to sleep!
Take care
Suzi x

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Propertyoflife, that sounds like a dramatic introduction to the wonderful world of diabetes!

I hope you feel better very soon and keep in touch with the forum. You'll find lots of people only too happy to help you with all the questions you'll inevitably have.

All the best,

fergus

diabetesmum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So glad to hear you are in hospital and getting the right treatment. Thank goodness you went when you did, it could have been a lot worse.

You will be feeling scared and shell-shocked at the mo, but you will be okay and learn to manage things. Just try to take it step by step, and keep coming back to the forum. There is loads of advice and info on here when you feel ready for it.
Sue

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya,
glad your getting sorted, my diagnosis was just like yours so i know how your feeling but u are lucky as you found this forum early, i went four years till i found this place and all the great advice, let us know how u get on :D

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi propertyoflife.
It looks to me like you are probably a T1 diabetic. . Treatment for T2 didn't help you and you are very young to be a T2. You're not grossly overweight are you? You need to get something called a c-peptide test. this will point to which kind of diabetes you have.
Did the symptoms come on quickly, or creep up on you unnoticed? T1 usually comes on fast. T2 slowly.
Why did your doctor think you are T2?
Trouble is if you trat T2 as T1 it's OOK, but the other way round can lead to nasty trouble.
Make sure your doctor gets a definitive diagnosis and doesn't just assume T2, becauseit's getting more common.

Trinkwasser

hanadr said:
Make sure your doctor gets a definitive diagnosis and doesn't just assume T2, becauseit's getting more common.

Point of information, while Type 1 is still only about 10% of the incidence of Type 2 it is actually increasing at a faster rate. Not a lot of people know that . . .

I don't think there's much doubt that the OP is Type 1, it gets more complicated when the speed of onset is slower. A T1 can go from normal to "die without insulin" in a matter of days, while some LADA adult onset types may actually progress slower than some Type 2s

Miasma

you were admitted to hospital the day before me, when i was diagnosed.
i find that amusing, kinda :]

i hope you're coping well sweetie.
xo