diabetes denial-help

jackiesmith

i have recently been diagnosed with type 2 and just cannot seem to get my head around it.I have been to the education classes and I still am struggling with healthy eating. I have such a sweet tooth and just cant have one biscuit, I have no will power and end up eating them all and then feeling guilty and panicky. We been urine testing for the last two weeks and everyone had zeros apart from me and now I have to take metformin. I really do not know how to deal with this as I do want to lose weight and know I need to...has anyone else felt like this ?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Who does the shopping?

If you havent got biscuits n sweet things in your cupboards it eliminates you tucking in to them whilst at home.

If you dont buy, you cant have. Is there somebody that could support you with this small step?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 3 people

TOSH1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Jackie

Welcome first of all.

I have only been diagnosed type 2 on Thursday and am not sure how I am going to go on with my diet. I use to live on 3 cans of Energy drinks and 2 pints of orange juice a day plus chocolate, crisps for lunch etc.

Today is my first day of watching what I eat and some sort of physical activity. To be quiet honest it has not been that bad. I love tomatoes so swapping that with orange juice was easy, I have gone for a walk a few times today which has not been hard. I even jogged for .5 miles. I have told myself that I can eat what I want at anytime but to keep going as long as possible.

Everything that I use to love at home is no longer there, no energy drinks, no chocolates, no crisps. instead I have packets and packets of tomatoes. celery and cottage cheese and Philadelphia light which is not bad. try it and welcome once again

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Jackie,

Everyone felt the same when first diagnosed. I am still struggling to get my head round it after being diagnosed in January, but I am getting there. Everyone is different as regards which foods suit them and which don't, but we are all in agreement that carbohydrate intake MUST be reduced. By how much depends on the individual, but basically be very wary of bread, potatoes, rice, pasta and pastry. I started by limiting my intake to 150g a day, reducing gradually to my current level of between 110 and 120g a day. In order to make up the calories lost by cutting carbs you need to watch that you eat enough protein and fats. I set myself a calorie intake of 1200 a day. My daily intake is roughly 35% carbs, 45% fat and 20% protein, although the fat and protein levels do vary from day to day.

I bought some handy jug type digital scales and weigh everything unless I know absolutely how much I have on my plate. Many of us use an on-line food diary/carb counting website/app called myfitnesspal, I also bought a book called Carbs & Cals from Amazon. It is advisable to keep a food diary of everything you eat and drink along with weights/portions, carbs, cals, protein and fat contents. You must learn to read all the food labels of everything you buy, ditch the low fat or no fat options because they often contain a lot of sugar, and ditch all the junk food, cakes, biscuits and so on.

There are many knowledgeable people on these forums who will be only too happy to help you and answer your questions, and please read as much as you can.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Get yourself a blood glucose monitor (available in Boots the chemist, and Amazon - the Codefree one works out as quite cheap).

You may have been told by the doctor or nurse that you don't need one. Well, that is nonsense. In your situation I think you need one very much indeed. You need to see the evidence of what those sweet nibbles are doing to your blood glucose.

Don't worry, you won't have to test much. Once you know how your body reacts to various foods, you can ease off and just test when you try new foods. At the moment I am testing on waking, before dinner, and 2 hours later. A lot of people only test once a day. But for the following Biscuit Test I would test a lot.

Get your monitor, test your blood, when you are hungry (fasting) then eat your usual amount of biscuits.
Hey, I'm asking you to eat biscuits for breakfast!!! - grin.
Test your blood every half hour for about 4 hours.
Write down the results.

You will see that your blood glucose rises sharply then drops down again.

This is what you do to yourself, every time you Biscuit Binge (or choloate, or mashed potato, or whatever).

Then read up on how low you should keep your blood sugar levels to avoid diabetic complications.

And now you can make an informed decision whether you want to eat biscuits any more.

Reactions: 3 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Welcome, you're in the right place here for support and advice.

Agreed you need to ditch as many carbohydrates as possible. For diabetics, carbohydrate might as well say sugar. I was a bread fiend, and three weeks ago I would not have believed I could just virtually stop eating it. But hey, guess what - once you have cut down on carb intake for a week or two you just don't miss it any more. I have maybe a slice a day, no more, whereas once it could have been a whole loaf.

Look around the forum, and have a look at www.dietdoctor.com especially under LCHF for beginners.

Don't panic, ask as many questions as you want.

Lizzy5172

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Jackie
I was diagnosed 3 weeks ago with type 2. It is very hard and quite depressing too. I started on low carb (no bread, potatoes, pasta or rice and anything that is high in carbs....check labels) as soon as I found out and have seen a huge reduction in my bs. Not lost a lot of weight yet but I am damned inpatient lol. It will come I know and I am eating a lot healthier than I have for years. As for your sweet tooth...I eat sugar free jelly with a bit of fresh cream which seems to hit the spot. Nuts for the times you feel you need to have a snack.
I have a bs monitor and really think that it has helped me as I can see my progress.
My diabetic nurse has given me 4 months to get my act together or medication is the next step. That gave me a kick up the bum and made me determined to do it
Good luck and YOU CAN DO THIS! We are all here to help you

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Agreed you can do this.

Tip.. Avoid the huge supermarkets as they just entice people to buy more.
If you think hey I've not bought £5 of rubbish choccy things, spend it on a treat for something else... 5 weeks of £5 less on carbs and you could have a new downsized piece of clothes.. Not that I am suggesting you could do to lose weight, but it is nice to think well I have £xx from not buying ****... And in 5 months that could be a good holiday abroad etc...

Take a step at a time... It is good to clear cupboards of **** though.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
We never have biscuits in the house so can't nibble on them. Nice though they are remove them from you shopping list

Reactions: 2 people

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Rich tea .

Late onset T1, several auto immune issues.
Humalogmix25 twice a day, Methotrexate 25mg once per week, FolicAcid 5mg once per week, prednisolone 5mg daily, Allopurinol 300mg, Calcichew-D3 800iu, Levothyroxine 50mcg, Atenolol 50mg, Losarten 100mg, Aspirin 75mg, Nicorandil 20mg, Nitrolingual GTN spray, Metformin 2000mg, Allimemazine 10mg, Lanzoprazole 30mg, Atorvastatin 20mg, Co Codamol 8/500mg, Depo Medrone (Methylprednisolone) or double Prednisolone for 7 days in case of RA flare.

coley83

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
politicians
Hi jim007 when I was told in 2000 I was t2 the dietician tol me try 2rich tea or ginger nut instead of 2 choice biks & I did & still do today

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
2 rich tea or 1 digestive. Digestive best for dunking!!