Race For Life in July....New to Running. Any advice? Type 1 Diabetic.

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Hi all,

I have signed up to do a race for life in July...I have 3 months to train for it and I am hoping to walk 10k and maybe jog some of the way through. I am also on a weight loss programme so the training will help with that.

I just don't really know where to start as a diabetic.....anyone got any advice? Do I need to see the dr to get the go ahead? When is best to train?

Thank you so much.

Lynsey

Danny Prince

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
My Likes
You shouldn't need to see a dr for a go ahead i imagine, just be wary of your levels, usually when exercising people take less background in that time span as exercise usually brings your levels down, so just be cautious of them and check regulary when training / actually doing the race

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
HI Best of luck with your race :)

take a look at www.runsweet.com/‎

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Well done for signing up!
Really your blood glucose management will vary according to how much energy you put in during training and during the event.
Best thing is really to just get started - make sure you have a BG over 6.5g/mmol before you start, then try a run/walk for 20 mins or so. Do a quick blood test, and see what your BG is doing - if you are running and getting your heart rate up, then it could be your BG will rise (your liver releases glucose into the bloodstream when your heart rate really starts to pound!) If your BG has gone down, you are working at a moderate pace, and your muscles are beginning to draw energy out of your bloodstream. If you do run/walk at a moderate pace, chances are you will need to take on board some energy/carb every 30 mins or so (less if you are mainly walking)
Really there is no magic solution - just have a go, test and adjust. Before long you will get to grips with how your body behaves.
If you can bear to watch it, there is a 10 min case study on the Team blood Glucose website that is quite useful - just make sure you pay attention to the bits about carbing, insulin use when you exercise, what happens with high intensity exercise, and 'keeping yourself safe' at the end.
http://www.teambloodglucose.com/TeamBG/Type_1_Case_Study.html
Best of luck!

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
My only advice to new runners is "run slower". Even if you think you are running slowly, you're probably still too fast.

The tough bit is getting to the stage where you can run for 10 mins without stopping. Once you've done that, anything else is possible.

Isn't Race for Life only 5k?

Reactions: 4 people

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
It is but I am doing the 10k. I may walk all of it but just wanted to have the option of jogging a bit if I chose to. Thanks.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
It is but I am doing the 10k. I may walk all of it but just wanted to have the option of jogging a bit if I chose to.

Three months is enough time to go from zero to 10k, if you follow a dedicated plan. Consistency is the key.

If you want some practice before the RFL, I can highly recommend parkrun, free 5k runs that take place in parks up and down the country every Saturday morning at 9am. All of them are highly supportive of new and / or slower runners. I've done 78 of them - and it turned me from a walk runner to (hopefully) a marathon runner.

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Take it gradually, don't try to run fast get breathless and have to stop. Test very frequently, you may find as I do, that your glucose levels drop very rapidly at the start of a run so take some glucose tablets with you, I tend just to take one at a time.
Have a look at this couch to 5k plan, it will give you some structure and if you can do this, you will definitely be able to do a 10k with a mixture of walking and running.
http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/get-running-with-couch-to-5k.aspx

Reactions: 2 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You should not need to reduce your basal for a 10km run/walk, but you may want to tailor you bolus if you are exercising within two hours of a meal. I find that I need to be very careful even up to 4 hours after a bolus dose to prevent/manage the big drops.

To start with, I'd test every 20-30 mins until you know what the effect on your blood sugar will be

I'm a big believer in HR based training when you are starting from nothing. A good guide would be 180-age-5 as someone new to this kind of exercise.

You can buy HR monitors pretty cheap from amazon/e-bay etc

Reactions: 2 people

zicksi101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You would only need to speak to a doctor only if you have suffered diabetic complications as this poses certain risks during exercise, but even then it doesn't prevent you from going ahead.

Probably best just get started and find out what works for you.

The general guideline is that exercise will most likely lower your blood glucose, so as always carry something fast acting like lucozade or dextrose tablets, or whatever works for you, that's especially advisable when doing some jogging. You will most likely find that you can reduce your quick acting insulin because you are doing exercise. You might even find you need to combine a reduction in quick acting insulin + consuming some carbs during exercise.

I regularly run 10k in the evening which I have built up to over the last 6 months. Exercise seems to have a really profound effect on my BGs, so in my case I need to reduce my novorapid (fast acting insulin), levemir (background insulin) AND take some fast acting carbs in during the run. A 10k run for me would go something like this:

6:30pm - evening meal - prepare by reducing novorapid by 3 and levemir by 3
7:20pm - check BG to make sure it is high enough (but not too high) for exercise, if high BG check ketones, if no ketones and BG high enough - I'm good to go!
7:30pm - start 10k run
after 5k - start taking a sip of lucozade (3/4 of a 35ml bottle) every half mile, or more if required
after finishing - check BG

I don't apply hard rules here, I adapt based on how fast I'm going, I suddenly got 3 minutes faster very recently so have now been finding I'm finishing the lucozade by 8k and getting into dextrose tablets to get through the exercise without hypo'ing, going to experiment with further reduction in novorapid next time round. My BG pre-exercise was 12.4, post exercise it was 5.9, after taking on 5 dextrose tablets + the lucozade last time I ran 10k.

Under "normal" circumstances, my BGs are steady in the evening.

zicksi101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also found MapMyRun a really useful (free) tool for training; you can fire a route in using google maps and it will work out the distance you're doing. Can also be used to work out how fast you've done that distance retrospectively.

elvis the cat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
yeah when I did the starlight walking marathon I checked my b/g at every pit-stop and just snacked accordingly finished in 7hr25mins

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have a look round various pages of www.runsweet.com (already mentioned above) - both general principles of exercise with type 1 diabetes, and specific running pages.
Another vote for trying parkrun, assuming you have one convenient. Once you're registered, you can run at any parkrun. I'm on my third home parkrun, now, have run 26 times at 4 locations (the extra when visiting my sister, who also ran). Very welcoming set up, especially if you pick a small parkrun (look at number of runners at most recent event to check)

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Did you know Team Blood Glucose is going to be doing the Oak Hill Parkrun (East Barnet - London) with others from the forum on May 10th? If you have any questions, or fancy just meeting up for a chat to share your training tips try to come along.