Needle Phobia

esmecullen

I know this may sound very silly but I have a terrible fear of needles :oops: I was quite shaky after the nurse done the blood test prior to me being diagnosed.

Now the main thing is I know I need to check my BG's regulary.............. the truth is I'm terrified of pricking my finger :oops: I've had a friend do it for me and I know I need to do this myself, but the thought of the pricker going into my finger or wherever makes me feel sick.

Any hints on how to do this without me collapsing all over the place.......... sounds funny but I fainted when I have having a blood test done a while back, I dont want that to happen when I'm by myself

many thanks for reading and hope you can help

Janesi

Sorry I can't give you any advice - but can sympathise. I too have a major needle phobia, so bad that if I have to go into hospital I have to have "Emla cream" put on before they can go anywhere near me with a needle! However when diagnosed as diabetic I too went into a major panic mode about testing - but it had to be done and so I managed it. The blood tests themselves were a different matter - I still got myself into a panic beforehand and normally burst into tears before they even stick the needle in. Then I was advised I would be better in a dose of insulin a day as the tablets weren't agreeing with me. Well at that point I went into overdrive and really got worked up about it. But again it was something that needed to be done and in the 14 months I have been injecting I have got used to it - won't say I like it and still have moments of panic. Last November I was prescribed Byetta, so I was having to inject that twice a day along with insulin once a day, so 3 injections a day. I coped, but really wasn't happy. As it turned out I couldn't take the byetta, so am back down to one injection a night.

All I can say is that even with a big needle phobia, it is possible. The injections themselves are in fact on the whole a lot less painful than the finger prick test. At the end of the day I have to have the injections, so I have to do it. I'm sure you will begin to feel happier about the whole thing and all I can say is good luck - it will get better for you. :)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi esmecullen,
I always test on the inside of my forearm. I find if I press the rim of the "stabber" down firmly onto the skin, I don't feel the prick. I have 2 stabbers and one is definitely more gentle than the other. In addition. Using fresh lancets helps.

RebeccaSmith

Fresh needles definately help, as re-using makes the needle blunt.
The finger pricking is not as bad as the insulin injections. You just need to get used to the finger pricking. It's hard and some days you will avoid finger pricking as you cannot handle the thought of doing it when other people don't have to, but it is neccasary.
Perhaps practicing with your friends or family and perhaps seeing them finger prick as well will offer you reassurance and the confidence to do it.
The finger pricking also makes your skin a little less sensitive, so after you've done it lots, it should hurt less, and make sure you are pricking the sides of the finger and not the centre. :)
Good luck. :)

goji

Hi esmecullen

I can totally empathise with your fear. I used to faint every time I had a blood test and my fear got so bad that I skived school on the day of the TB and rubella jabs - so I never got innoculated!! Getting Type 1 was a major nightmare given my needle phobia. It was only that I felt so ill and was desperate to feel better that I was able to go ahead and do my first injection and finger pricking.

I guess the only way to get over it is exposure - ie. the more tests you do - the easier it will become. I still hate the finger pricking but I have got used to it. I still get squeamish at the sight of vials of blood being taken out of my arm but somehow this no longer applies to my finger blood. I agree with the others about using a fresh lancet as it hurts a lot less. Also my middle finger and ring finger seem to be toughest so I always prick those.

Just wondering if you couldn't ask your doctor to prescribe some of that anaesthetic cream that Janesi was talking about?

Also what specific thing is it that bothers you? eg, is it the sight of blood? does it make you feel squeamish? Are you frightened of the pain? Working out what specific thing bothers you might help you to target how to approach the problem. :)

esmecullen

Hi goji

silly I know but its 3 things the seeing of the needle......... it actually going in and then seeing blood....... oh 4 actually lol then the pain.......... I hate accidently pricking my finger with a pin :)

I shall ask my doc if I can can have some cream and yeah I suppose I will get over it in time lol and will take your advice about the ring and middle finger..... hopefully it will help

When I was at the dentist once I had to have a filling and the dentist injected the area..... I went into the waiting room while it took effect and promptly passed out!!!!!!!!!

Voilet

Get an Aviva Accu Chek meter and the finger pricking device. You can set the depth of penetration and after a few stabs, starting at the shallowest find what suits you. You don't see any needles and you don't feel a thing. I hate accidentally pricking my finger on anything. I have no problems whatsoever about pricking the side, not the finger tip, with the Aviva device.

As far as getting samples taken are concerned, why look at whats going on. Turn your head away and be surprised. If the leech is reasonably good at her job you wont feel a thing.

Lastly, on the odd occasion when there is a painful sensation it lasts for a few seeconds out of a lifetime.

candy1567

Hi

I can relate to you with the finger pricking, my prob is that although the needles dont bother me as i am on Byetta twice daily, the thing i cant do it press the button to prick my finger.

Just the thought of it brings me out in a cold sweat and i thought i was havin a hypo!!!!!!

So what i did and yeah i know am a big baby but my partner does it for me, i can stab myself with the lancet thats not a prob but just cant press the button.

I think my parnter likes stabbing me now as he get this wicked little smirk on his face and turns from from jekyl to hyde lol

Juliexx

LWA

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Soaps
Hi guys, thought i would post mine on the needle phobia so you dont all feel alone..............im 36 and have been type 1 (4 a day) for 22 years. Im a 36 year old guy who plays most sports etc and keep very active yet! Dont get me wrong i'm fine injecting my insulin (THANK GOD) and with my finger pricking (which i test approx 8 times day....call me obsessive).

It's that once a year blood test at the Hospital (in the arm...uuuurgh) when the nurses end up picking me off the floor every time. To make matters worse when i come round they tell me.... we haven't done it yet sir.....Oh Nooo!!! As a result the Docor has recorded me as needle phobic on my notes and says as long as i test/look after myself he wont put me through the process in future (What a great Doctor)!!

For those who still oblige to the torture i can advise the following to hopefully help:
1- Always tell the nurses that your scremish before hand (this will help your nerves)
2 - Always ask if you can lie down instead of sitting (more blood flow to the head etc)
3 - 'Concentrate' on Breathing 'slowly' through mouth.
4 - Think of something else (not medical)
5 - DONT LOOK!!!

OK i took the easy way out and still said 'no'..... but i do hope i have gone some way to helping you all!!! .............Good luck!!!!!

LWA

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Soaps
Hi guys, thought i would post mine on the needle phobia so you dont all feel alone..............im 36 and have been type 1 (4 a day) for 22 years. Im a 36 year old guy who plays most sports etc and keep very active yet! Dont get me wrong i'm fine injecting my insulin (THANK GOD) and with my finger pricking (which i test approx 8 times day....call me obsessive).

It's that once a year blood test at the Hospital (in the arm...uuuurgh) when the nurses end up picking me off the floor every time. To make matters worse when i come round they tell me.... we haven't done it yet sir.....Oh Nooo!!! As a result the Docor has recorded me as needle phobic on my notes and says as long as i test/look after myself he wont put me through the process in future (What a great Doctor)!!

For those who still oblige to the torture i can advise the following to hopefully help:
1- Always tell the nurses that your scremish before hand (this will help your nerves)
2 - Always ask if you can lie down instead of sitting (more blood flow to the head etc)
3 - 'Concentrate' on Breathing 'slowly' through mouth.
4 - Think of something else (not medical)
5 - DONT LOOK!!!

OK i took the easy way out and still said 'no'..... but i do hope i have gone some way to helping you all!!! .............Good luck!!!!!