Juicing

celast

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am type 2 diet only no medication, is it ok to make and drink juice made with blueberries,strawberrys, rasberries etc made with a juicer or would there be to much natural sugar.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Depends how much and how often. They are quite high in natural sugars. Test before and after and see how your body tolerates the juice.

lunarlinda

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Injustice, discrimination, greed, selfishness, WAR
I have a juicer that I bought just before diagnosis. So, what I do is mostly vegies, ie, kale, spinach, peppers, and sweeten it with an apple. I wouldn't dare make one with your suggestions, plus, what a waste of the experience of eating those fruits. I wouldn't eat the large amounts of spinach I put into my juices, but I can get 8 oz per juice in! (And that's a lot of spinach!)
I'd just enjoy eating those fruits in moderation as they are or with a drop of cream. :)

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
green smoothies rock!

i get a terrible blood sugar reading with a fruit smoothie or juice, but if i blend in a large handful of spinach (that is blend, not juice), the reading is much lower.

the best reading of all comes from blending the whole fruit, with the whole veg. tastes like fruit, cant taste the veg (usually courgette, spinach or kale ands sometimes avocado). that barely blips my blood glucose.

jules65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just asked a question about juicing on 'ask a question' before I saw this!
How does a Type 1 bolus for juicing? Do you count the whole fruit/veg even though only the juice remains? How do you work that out?
Many thanks

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Just asked a question about juicing on 'ask a question' before I saw this!
How does a Type 1 bolus for juicing? Do you count the whole fruit/veg even though only the juice remains? How do you work that out?
Many thanks
I would count the fruit as normal but I would inject at least 10mins prior to drinking to try to counteract the spike. Because it is in juice form, the sugars will get into your system quicker. As with anything diabetes related, you may be different so testing is key.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Malcolm1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I juice fruit a lot as I’ve used the same fruit/veg stall on our local market for a long time and used to buy a lot of fruit for making wine and juicing, so started to get a lot of the stuff that was overripe or bruised for free, set the juicer to pulp and freeze it in lolly mould’s as a treat for the grandkids and me seem to get away with it in small amounts

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am curious about the results, I've always wanted to try juicing but hesitant, might raise sugar levels(?) has anyone tried this and maintained good sugar levels?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Sunspot

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bad food, junk food, processed food.
EAting the whole fruit is so much better for you than juicing it. There are more calories and sugars in a juice than in the fruit as you will probably go through more fruit to get the same satisfaction.

If you are doing low carb, you can enjoy the fruit with cream or marscapone as i am doing and i am so in love with strawberries and marscapone. Its totally decadent were it not for being on low carb.