Juicing

jules65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Before diabetes, every now and then I would have a one-day juice day as per a recipe I'd acquired and I really liked how I felt the next day.
My question is how do I bolus for this? Do I count the carbs of the whole fruit & veg? My juicer chucks all the pulp/fibre out etc. How do I work it out?
Many thanks in advance for your comments.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I would have thought that would be almost impossible to bolus for. Fruit juice is so full of sugar - it would be like trying to bolus for a full-sugar can of coke. Without the fibre, it would hit your blood stream so quickly, the bolus wouldn't stand much of a chance - unless you could get the timing right you're likely to go high within 10 minutes and then hypo an hour or so later. After all, some of us use very small amounts of fruit juice to treat hypos!

Good luck

Smidge

jules65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks - obvious when you think about it, but we tend to use purchased fruit juices rather than homemade (not that I suppose there's a difference if you buy 'pure')

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The Hinari Genie Blender costs £29.99 and works as well as a juicer but keeps all the fibre in. I have the nutribullet which cost considerably more. It's great. I saw the Hinari version in The Factory Shop and also in one of the big supermarkets (can't remember which) and it appears to be the almost the same as mine, apart from the name and cost. So if you want to keep the fibre, this may be the way to go. Make a batch but don't have it all in one go. I'm not type 1 and new to type 2 (since nov 2013) so others will be able to give better advice. Just thought you may like a juicer that retains the whole fruit, veg or grass!!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App