ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks :) Its a really great cake for special celebrations. I don't recommend to have it daily but from time to time its a nice treat

A

Avocado Sevenfold

COURGETTE SPAGHETTI WITH PESTO AND ROASTED TOMATOES (vegan)

I am going to plonk this recipe here together with the words COURGETTE GLUT so I can find it in the summer using the search function :rolleyes:

Tried and tested last night. Was too hungry to wait 90 minutes for toms so used sun dried ones from a jar. Very tasty and better than pasta! I heated mine up a bit in a wok. The recipe is raw.

http://www.ahouseinthehills.com/aho...-noodles-with-pesto-and-roasted-tomatoes.html

zuchini_pesto_noodles_a_house_in_the_hills_3.jpg

Reactions: 3 people

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
COURGETTE SPAGHETTI WITH PESTO AND ROASTED TOMATOES (vegan)

I am going to plonk this recipe here together with the words COURGETTE GLUT so I can find it in the summer using the search function :rolleyes:

Tried and tested last night. Was too hungry to wait 90 minutes for toms so used sun dried ones from a jar. Very tasty and better than pasta! I heated mine up a bit in a wok. The recipe is raw.

http://www.ahouseinthehills.com/aho...-noodles-with-pesto-and-roasted-tomatoes.html
oh yummy. I'm a big fan of noodles ..

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Chocolate cheesecake (for Scandichic)

It's not a proper cake texture, but denser and it is definitely a cheese cake!

Original recipe and instructions, with my added notes and variations in brackets:
Chocolate Cake
Ingredients:
4 eggs
200g cream cheese/Philadelphia [I've used Philadelphia, both original and Light when my husband accidentally got this latter, and Ricotta]
100g butter [I use unsalted]
100g dark chocolate (70%) [I use Lindt 85%]
Flaked almonds or any nuts
(1 tsp vanilla flavoring)
[I've not used the almonds yet because I keep forgetting to add them, and haven't got any vanilla. I also found - although I wanted a recipe without sweetener, that it tastes slightly better to me with a very tiny bit of Stevia powder, which I mix in with the egg. I have also been a bit naughty and the last time I added a scant half teaspoon of icing sugar;). Using the lower % chocolate may not need any "help"!]

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
Grease a springform tin with a little butter.
Melt butter, break chocolate into pieces and stir until melted,
don't overheat or else you get a grainy mixture.
Beat eggs until fluffy, add the cream cheese, a little at a time,
beating well after each addition.
Using a spatula stir in the chocolate butter mix, stir well.
Pour batter into springform tin and sprinkle with nuts.
Bake on the middle shelf for 15 - 20 minutes.

First one I made was a bit runny, so I used a sponge sandwich tin instead and although it rose over the top, it ended up about level with the top of the tin.

Next time I used half quantities because the first one didn't keep too well in a cake tin, so keep refrigerated, if it lasts that long!! I also beat the eggs more until they were fairly thick and creamy and the end result before cooking was a more thicker cake like consistency. I cooked in the microwave in a fairy cake "tin", for about five minutes, until they were springy to the touch and a skewer came out cleanly. You'll need to check timing if you microwave them. This made six nice mini cheese cakes.

I've also found some large silicone muffin cases, and the full quantity recipe will fill six of these about 3/4 full and they can be cut in half and still be enough! Again check and adjust microwave timings as necessary.

Eat slightly warm with a teaspoonful of thick cream and a few raspberries, strawberries, or cherries.

choc_cheesecake-jpg.3632

Robbity

Reactions: 5 people

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Low carb asian soup.

This was inspired by a restaurant I used to use a great deal near my office in Soho, which has a plethora of asian fusion restaurants. They used to do a great spice clear soup and I thought it could make a reasonably good low carb, lowish cal soup for lunch. Tried it today and it was great!

Ingredients:

Supermarket stir fry pack ( i used beansprouts, shredded cabbage, sliced carrot and onion mix from Tesco)
Sesame oil (1 teaspoon as a seasoning)
Thai fish sauce (to taste, used instead of salt so not much needed, its quite strong)
1 clove garlic thinly sliced
Dark soy sauce (1 tablespoon)
2 chestnut mushrooms thinly sliced.
1 teaspoon thai red curry paste
1 or 2 chicken stock pots
A little coconut oil for frying.
Optional - 1 chicken thigh including skin, very thinly sliced.

Method

Heat the coconut oil in a pan and stir fry the chicken (if using chicken) until thoroughly cooked, then add the stir fry veg pack, garlic and mushrooms and cook until the cabbage has softened a little.
Add the thai red curry paste and toss everything to distribute the paste.
Add the sesame oil, fish sauce and soy and stir in, then add 1.5 pint of water and the chicken stock.
Bring to the boil and simmer for 1 minute.

Serve

If you want you could add zero noodles to the pot

I haven't calculated the total carbs or cals for this, but I'm fairly certain its pretty low, and it is suprisingly filling. If you want a high fat version i think you could substitute 400g coconut milk for the water and use less chicken stock, you wont get so much liquid obviously but it will be very similar to a Laska and probably even more filling.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Today is the first birthday I have had since T2 diagnosis. To celebrate, I took the day off work and built a massive trifle! Will be taking it to a family do this evening. Each component is low carb, but added all together, maybe not so low, so will eat with caution :p

Might be nice on Christmas Day for someone, so here is the recipe...

From the bottom up

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Today is the first birthday I have had since T2 diagnosis. To celebrate, I took the day off work and built a massive trifle! Will be taking it to a family do this evening. Each component is low carb, but added all together, maybe not so low, so will eat with caution :p

Might be nice on Christmas Day for someone, so here is the recipe...

From the bottom up
ja8iaf.jpg

wow that looks fantastic:)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Re: 99% Coco/Cocao

How about this:

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-1137...late-mousse-youll-ever-put-in-your-mouth.html

It is both raw and vegan, but don't get distracted by that - it is truly delicious! And you can always add cream...

Ingredients (serves 1-2):
  • 1/4 cup raw cocoa powder
  • 1/4 cup coconut milk or almond milk
  • 2 tsp stevia (or other natural sweetener)
  • 1 tsp natural vanilla extract
  • Optional extras: toasted sliced almonds, chia seeds, frozen mixed berries, almond butter, cocoa nibs, coconut oil
Directions:

Purée the avocado until smooth.

Mix together the cocoa powder and milk until combined and add to the avocado.

Stir in the stevia, vanilla extract, and any extra ingredients (toasted almonds add a lovely crunch, and frozen berries give the mousse a great fruity twang!) and mix well.

Transfer the mousse to individual bowls and store in the fridge until ready to eat.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lol. No there isn't. That is down to my clumsy cutting and pasting! Apols every one.

The first ingredient should be:

1 avocado

It is all set out properly if you follow the link.

mistyweather

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I know that there is already a Cauliflower Cheese Soup recipe here and I have made it and it is gorgeous but here is my version of a soup I have always made but have adapted for low carbing. If Nigela can do it then I think I lwiill call this "****'s Cauli Cheese Soup
"
1 head cauliflower
2 med white/brown onions
2 veg stock cubes
1 tbs paprika
1 oz butter
2" squirt garlic puree from a tube (the plastic tube kind not the metal one) or 2 crushed cloves garlic
1.5 l water
At least 6 oz strong cheese grated or chopped - depends on how cheesy you want it
2 oz parmesan
300 ml tub double cream

1. Chop onions and cauli

2. Put all ingredients EXCEPT the cream and cheeses into a pressure cooker and cook for 15 mins. Or cook on stovetop until tender

3. When cooled sufficiently (I don't usually bother) transfer all the stuff from pressure cooker into a large jug and then blend in processor a bit at a time, with some of the cream and cheese in each batch.

4 Return to the heat in saucepan / pressure cooker and heat until the cheese is properly melted. Enjoy!!!

This freezes quite well if you can resist eating the lot. Depends on how many you serve it to of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bored this afternoon, I fancied a savoury snackette, and threw these together. Didn't expect them to work, but they did!

Cheese and Onion Cookies

Equal quantities grated extra mature cheddar and ground almonds
A hefty blob of mustard - I used whole grain
Lots of black pepper
A finely chopped onion
You could add Worcester sauce, chilli, herbs, sundries tomato paste, anchovies - anything you like.

Mix them all together till the mustard is evenly spread.
Press this crumbly mix into biscuit/cookie shapes on a baking tray.
Bake for 15 mins at 200 degrees

They are done when the edges are dark brown but not black, and the middles are melted and golden brown.

Leave to cool.

Reactions: 4 people

bgriffith

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Loads of recipes on this post, tempted to bake some chocolate peanut butter brownies :)
http://www.buzzfeed.com/tashweenali/healthy-carbs-diabetes

Also Tortilla pizzas!! I really love normal pizza, but it makes my glucose go bonkers, so these are a really good alternative!
A friend recommended making home made pizza using a tortilla wrap as a base, then adding what you would usually have on a pizza. I make a sauce out of tomatoes and puree, add some oregano, then grate some reduced fat cheddar, some reduced fat fresh mozzarella, spinach and whatever else I can find in the fridge. Then just pop it in the oven at about 180-200 until the cheese is all melted. So yummy.

It's less than 500 calories, low carb and really does taste like pizza (my non-diabetic boyfriend will even eat them provided there is meat!)