Hypo eyes

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone else's eyes go funny after a hypo?
Not during one. After I have a hypo my eyes feel like there's a film over them or something and everything is a bit blurry.

It doesn't happen when I actually have a hypo but afterwards and it can last for hours.

Thanks

Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sometimes, but not always. Mind you, I'm usually drained after a hypo and find it hard to keep my eyes open let alone focus on anything. I often have double-vision (it used to be my tell-tale sign to my husband - he'd notice I was watching tv with one eye shut!!) Do you have your eyes checked by an optician regularly?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hypo's just like hyper's can effect vision.

Reactions: 2 people

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sometimes, but not always. Mind you, I'm usually drained after a hypo and find it hard to keep my eyes open let alone focus on anything. I often have double-vision (it used to be my tell-tale sign to my husband - he'd notice I was watching tv with one eye shut!!) Do you have your eyes checked by an optician regularly?

I have them checked every year or so, I have perfect vision until I have a hypo.

Also get really thirsty and can't concentrate on much after either.

Made me laugh with the one eye shut! My family always know I'm going to have one before I do but I don't think I do that! Haha maybe I do and I haven't realised!

Indiana x

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There's a phenomenon where sugar can concentrate in the fluid of the eye and cause visual disturbance, blurriness, and an odd feeling in the eye. It can occur due to either falling or rising blood sugar. After treating a hypo you might have unusually high blood sugar or unusually fast rising blood sugar.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

Ascar

Sometimes when an hypo occurs I can't focus my eyes on something. If I try to, I see a lot of white stains. This effect lasts for even half an hour I assumed some sugar. Thinking "focusing" on my thoughts helps me to reduce the dizziness hypo causes to me.

andy1984

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It can sometimes happen to me after a bad low, usually not though. However last week I had a mild low and luckily woke up... After I felt better my eyes were still a bit blurry for 4-5 hours later. Usually if I was looking at a computer screen in work, this hasn't happened to me before though.

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anyone who asks a question about diabetes without thinking what they're asking.
Does anyone else's eyes go funny after a hypo?
Not during one. After I have a hypo my eyes feel like there's a film over them or something and everything is a bit blurry.

It doesn't happen when I actually have a hypo but afterwards and it can last for hours.

Thanks

Indiana x

Post hypo after I have consumed everything in the kitchen and the kitchen, and I rocket to the 20's causes a bit of blurryness.

Tom

Reactions: 4 people

pinkpolo121

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My vision goes funny after but it takes me a while to realise I'm having a hypo in the first place :/ this might sound weird but does anyone else mouth and tongue go numb during and after the hypo :/ xx

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There's a phenomenon where sugar can concentrate in the fluid of the eye and cause visual disturbance, blurriness, and an odd feeling in the eye. It can occur due to either falling or rising blood sugar. After treating a hypo you might have unusually high blood sugar or unusually fast rising blood sugar.

This would certainly make sense considering the the blood sugar monitor being developed using a contact lense & a minute transmitter chip thingy...

During hypo i can get colour-blindness, lightsensitivety (almost like a white out) & the blured vision.. Though not always at the same time.

If i was to unfortunate on the odd occasion hit as high as 18? I can get the "squggly line" thing in the bottom of my vision..
If at night/poor light they are more prominent.. Like a heat wave off a desert on the lower half of vision.

Bogusman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Too numerous to mention
Yes sometimes, when my bs has really been low, my tongue and lips feel numb/pins and needles effect.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The "numb tongue" thing is a new one on me..!

The light sensitivity & the feeling of walking into a room & forgetting why are the early signs from my personal experience.

Once as a kid whilst cycling home i had these leg spasms (what i called "un PC" at the time as an "eppi fit".)
i couldn't keep my feet on the pedals. I just about managed to haul ass home & sort myself out.
I realized years later i was pretty close to the edge of the realm of consciousness..

I've had some doosies in my time but that one was the cactus...!

BrotherJ

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
too many
Havent had a Hypo yet , at least I dont think so , I know when I'm low though , feels like Im on a rollercoaster and have horrible vertigo but only lasted for about an hour once I had a snack .

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get problems in my eyes too. I sometimes find it harder to spot hypos when in meetings and concentrating and thinking hard so I tend to test more and be a bit high if I know I'm confined to a small meeting room for a few hours.