Air Travel

Sillymilly

Hi,

As I am fairly new (Since December) to insulin I am a little unsure as to what the procedure is when flying.

How do I store the insulin from home to hotel. Am I allowed to take a cool bag with freezer block, I know the insulin cant be frozen. If not what do I do to keep the insulin cool.

Sorry to sound dumb but I really am not sure of the protocol. I am taking my first flight in May since starting to inject and I feeling a little bemused.

Thanks

Sillymilly

Thanks for the pointer Sugarless.

It says take a cool bag, does this mean for on the plane or whilst away. If on the plane do you think it means I can take an ice block to keep cool. With the restrictions on liquid I am not sure.

Sorry I am sounding so dumb here I am really trying not to sound thick! :oops:

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Milly,
There is a bag made by a company called Frio which is designed to keep insulin pens, etc, at the correct temperature when travelling. All airlines will allow you to travel with your insulin in your hand luggage in a Frio bag. Whatever you do, don't pack it in your hold luggage. It will be in 1001 pieces when you arrive. And don't pack it with a freezer pack because the insulin will freeze.

Here's a link to the Frio site - you can order from them online. Mine arrived in 2 days and I find it is great when travelling.
http://www.friouk.com/

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use a frio too. They're excellent. Be careful with hotel fridges some are too cold.
Do take a letter explaining that you need to have insulin, lancets and needles with you and your prescriptions. I now put all my equipment in clear plastic bags so its obvious whats in them. There has never been any problems. Tell them at security that you are a diabetic have these things in your baggage. They probably won't ask for a letter but some officials (and countries) are more 'careful' than others.

Daz

Ive just come back from Riga in Latvia and I carried my insulin pens and spare cartridges, needles etc in a a pencil case in my hand luggage.

I never mentioned that I had them, but did carry my repeat perscription sheet just in case....

Had no problems at all

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Daz,

You might get away with it in airports where security is more lax, but I wouldn't rely on that approach. Isn't insulin supposed to be stored at a temperature of between 2° and 8°C until first use?

Daz

Erm........I dunno, Ive always put it in a cupboard and never had any problems for the last 11yrs :oops:

Sillymilly

Thank you Dennis for the heads up on Frio site. I will certainly be purchasing one for my holidays.

You have all been very helpful.

I am so glad I joined this site, have been diabetic for five years but only insulin since December so decided to join in and read other peoples comments etc re diabetes. Its very informative.

Once again Thank you.

Milly