Help! I have so much weight to lose

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
You're heading in the right direction and very loss is just that - a loss, positive.

Late onset T1, several auto immune issues.
Humalogmix25 twice a day, Methotrexate 25mg once per week, FolicAcid 5mg once per week, prednisolone 5mg daily, Allopurinol 300mg, Calcichew-D3 800iu, Levothyroxine 50mcg, Atenolol 50mg, Losarten 100mg, Aspirin 75mg, Nicorandil 20mg, Nitrolingual GTN spray, Metformin 2000mg, Allimemazine 10mg, Lanzoprazole 30mg, Atorvastatin 20mg, Co Codamol 8/500mg, Depo Medrone (Methylprednisolone) or double Prednisolone for 7 days in case of RA flare.

Reactions: 2 people

popsy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
OK so I have been to SW to be weighed this morning (just to be weighed, I don't hang around for the meetings)

This week I have lost 2.5 pounds, so that's 3.5 pounds since I started this thread.

I am writing the next bit for myself, as a reminder,as well as for you guys.
I know that many people lose more weight than this at the start of a new diet/lifestyle. I am truly pleased for them. I suspect that these are mainly folks who have gradually put on weight over the years and then been stopped in their tracks by a health issue, be it diabetes, high blood pressure, whatever. It isn't like that for me, I have spent so many years doing so very many diets, that my body has learned to go into 'famine mode'. I do not lose weight easily (I hope Metformin really does change this for me). ( I am also getting my vitamin D levels and my thyroid checked again this afternoon.) To illustrate this I am going to repeat something I put on another thread, apologies if you have read it before, but when I have a 'bad week' and don't lose any weight (or even put some on) I will need to remind myself.

In 2007 my son and I had flu. Really bad flu. We didn't eat anything at all for 5 days, managing only to sip water. For the next 5-6 days we ate around 200-400 calories a day, that's all we could manage. After this we weighed. My son, who didn't have any weight to lose at the start of the illness lost 11.5 pounds. I lost 0.5 pounds. This was a turning point for me and I knew I had to stop cutting down on what I ate and find a different way. Dieting was never going to work if I couldn't lose weight when eating nothing at all.

So the fact that I have lost as much as 2.5 pounds in a week is massive for me. I haven't been calorie counting but I know I have been consuming a lot more than 200-400 calories, so my body is working better now. I need to compare myself with me, not with others. If I do the latter it usually ends with a box of chocolates and a bottle of wine. Not this time.

Oh well done zand! I know how hard it can be but I have to say that you seem to know your body...pardon me;)...inside and out! I think that is a huge gift really. It's sometimes difficult to know what's what with us but knowing does enable us to do what's best after all. :happy:

Keep on trucking love. You will get there I know :) Oh and good luck with your Vitamin D test, I take Vit D once a month, not sure if it makes me feel any better but it keeps all the other pills company! xxx

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Went out for a walk this evening with hubby, not that far about 1 1/4 mile. But it was a brisk walk. Certainly the fastest I have walked in 2014. I am beginning to feel alive again. It's quite a good feeling.

Reactions: 5 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Went out for a walk this evening with hubby, not that far about 1 1/4 mile. But it was a brisk walk. Certainly the fastest I have walked in 2014. I am beginning to feel alive again. It's quite a good feeling.
To quote the strap line of a famous supermarket "every little helps!"
It doesn't matter how small the target, the point is that you have started! Big hug!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To quote the strap line of a famous supermarket "every little helps!"
It doesn't matter how small the target, the point is that you have started! Big hug!
thanks Scandi, I need all the hugs I can get.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Right. I am just going to type and see what happens. I am feeling down, really down. I let one of my sons down and I am struggling with this. It's such a tiny problem, that it's not really a problem at all. He has sorted things out so it really doesn't matter. Except to me. I feel like such a complete and utter waste of space. That's not him saying that it's me.

My normal response to this situation would be to comfort eat. This was at 3 o'clock. I only had a small piece of cheese (half an ounce) and the tiniest piece of bacon for breakfast. I wasn't hungry. I had forgotten about lunch. So instead of comfort eating - (which would have started with the Belgian bun sitting in the kitchen waiting for my husband to eat ) - I had a dish of fruit - a banana (which I am allowing myself right now because I am having a few more carbs until I see my doctor) strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries with double cream. This is the first time I have ever felt like this and not resorted to comfort eating loads of carbs. You would think it was a good thing. It's not. I am in a brand new place and I still have these awful feelings and I had the chance to push the self-destruct button and didn't. I wish I had. I don't know what to do now. If I had eaten the bloody cake I would have simply failed again, told you all about it and after a couple of days picked myself back up. I just do not recognize the place I am in right now. And I still hurt because I let someone I love down. I have tried to put things right by finding the item of his that I have lost even though it really doesn't matter. I still can't find it, so I can't make myself feel better that way.

I'm not really asking for help by posting this. I just need to key it all in and see what happens next. I so wish I had eaten that cake, this is totally unfamiliar territory and I don't know what to do with these feelings of hatred and self loathing. I suppose I could try forgiving myself - my son has.

Lucyturner

Firstly well done for not eating the cake. I have a tendancy to do the same thing even though I know it will not help and will end up having a very bad effect on my health. I suffer with severe depression and sometimes you just don't know what to do. All I can suggest is talk about it or maybe just take yourself off to your bedroom for a bit and just let our all the anger, upset and frustration. If you ever meted to talk you can message me direct. I know what is like to need help in these situations and feel like your in your own. You are not on your own remember that and remember that the person you love does not blame you and loves you no matter what.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Right. I am just going to type and see what happens. I am feeling down, really down. I let one of my sons down and I am struggling with this. It's such a tiny problem, that it's not really a problem at all. He has sorted things out so it really doesn't matter. Except to me. I feel like such a complete and utter waste of space. That's not him saying that it's me.

My normal response to this situation would be to comfort eat. This was at 3 o'clock. I only had a small piece of cheese (half an ounce) and the tiniest piece of bacon for breakfast. I wasn't hungry. I had forgotten about lunch. So instead of comfort eating - (which would have started with the Belgian bun sitting in the kitchen waiting for my husband to eat ) - I had a dish of fruit - a banana (which I am allowing myself right now because I am having a few more carbs until I see my doctor) strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries with double cream. This is the first time I have ever felt like this and not resorted to comfort eating loads of carbs. You would think it was a good thing. It's not. I am in a brand new place and I still have these awful feelings and I had the chance to push the self-destruct button and didn't. I wish I had. I don't know what to do now. If I had eaten the bloody cake I would have simply failed again, told you all about it and after a couple of days picked myself back up. I just do not recognize the place I am in right now. And I still hurt because I let someone I love down. I have tried to put things right by finding the item of his that I have lost even though it really doesn't matter. I still can't find it, so I can't make myself feel better that way.

I'm not really asking for help by posting this. I just need to key it all in and see what happens next. I so wish I had eaten that cake, this is totally unfamiliar territory and I don't know what to do with these feelings of hatred and self loathing. I suppose I could try forgiving myself - my son has.
Exactly! Forgive yourself! Your son is not bothered and neither should you be. You did really well not to eat that bun! Well done and big hugs! Instead of food, find something else for your pick need up. New clothing, facial, new book? It takes strength of character not to cave! You are awesome! Hope you like this:
image.jpg

Reactions: 4 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Firstly well done for not eating the cake. I have a tendancy to do the same thing even though I know it will not help and will end up having a very bad effect on my health. I suffer with severe depression and sometimes you just don't know what to do. All I can suggest is talk about it or maybe just take yourself off to your bedroom for a bit and just let our all the anger, upset and frustration. If you ever meted to talk you can message me direct. I know what is like to need help in these situations and feel like your in your own. You are not on your own remember that and remember that the person you love does not blame you and loves you no matter what.

What sound advice. What about a long walk in the fresh air and sunshine listening to your fave music?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I do like that very much. Thanks

I don't want to pick myself up. I want to punish myself. I think for me 'comfort eating' was actually 'punishment eating'. I see that now. Don't take that the wrong way - I am not in any danger or anything. I just don't know how to forgive myself for being so stupid. I hate being stupid. Perhaps I should go and force that cake down me anyway, just to get back to a familiar place. The world seems very grey right now. I don't know how to walk forward from this. Pathetic.

Good ideas Scandi, thanks for caring. I can't face anything new. I'll try to find an old book, something I used to love. Something Sci-fi to get me out of 'here'

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Thank you so much. I may message you later if that's really OK. I'm not alone anymore, thank you

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yes I do like that very much. Thanks

I don't want to pick myself up. I want to punish myself. I think for me 'comfort eating' was actually 'punishment eating'. I see that now. Don't take that the wrong way - I am not in any danger or anything. I just don't know how to forgive myself for being so stupid. I hate being stupid. Perhaps I should go and force that cake down me anyway, just to get back to a familiar place. The world seems very grey right now. I don't know how to walk forward from this. Pathetic.

Good ideas Scandi, thanks for caring. I can't face anything new. I'll try to find an old book, something I used to love. Something Sci-fi to get me out of 'here'
Noo not the cake. Go and put it in the bin. You don't need to punish yourself. Your son doesn't want this! Film, walk book. Anything! Come on, you can do this!

Reactions: 4 people

Lucyturner

Anytime you need to talk message me. You are not alone. You can be strong you proved that by not having that cake you just have to believe it. You won't get over this overnight just take it a step at the time and you will start feeling better.

Lizzy5172

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:( So sorry you are feeling so down at the moment. Please just keep talking..and don't eat the bun as it Will make you feel worse! I don't know what else to say to make you feel better but if you need to vent then send me a message I am a listener x

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all of you. I think I can put one foot in front of the other now, just not sure where it is taking me.

connie104

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please don't beat yourself up over this whatever has happened will be forgotten tomorrow . Your son has already forgotten about it so you should too! Run yourself a bath, relax and tomorrow is another day.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK I' m back, still a bit unsteady and unsure of myself.

Scandi you made me laugh so much when you suggested music, because I have playlists for almost every mood - just not this one. I have never felt like this before. Eventually I found 3 tracks which seem to have helped.

How you remind me - Nickelback
feel so different - Sinead O'Connor
Shine on you crazy Diamond - Pink Floyd

Thanks Connie, Yes a bath might be a good idea.

Last edited by a moderator: