DAnger of Death!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I've been surfing and come across the suggestion that T2 diabetes leads to death in about 2 years.
T1 is probably faster. It used to be months, before insulin was discovered. However, It is thought that many T2s have the condition at least 5 years before diagnosis.
I don't think anyone actually knows, but since some cases of T2 can be diet controlled for a long time (decades) I suspect that many cases of T2 would never actually become fatal.
If anyone has figures, I'd be interested

Trinkwasser

hanadr said:
I've been surfing and come across the suggestion that T2 diabetes leads to death in about 2 years.
T1 is probably faster. It used to be months, before insulin was discovered. However, It is thought that many T2s have the condition at least 5 years before diagnosis.
I don't think anyone actually knows, but since some cases of T2 can be diet controlled for a long time (decades) I suspect that many cases of T2 would never actually become fatal.
If anyone has figures, I'd be interested

Don't think it's possible to say. There are half a gazillion different variants of Type 2, and even the progression of Tyoe 1 can vary drastically, from days in children up to some adults who still show measurable insulin output after years.

Many Type 2s have been told "You'll be on insulin in three/five years" and aren't. Furthermore they measure much better on all criteria than they did on diagnosis (most of the criteria relate to cardiovascular risk)

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Hana,
I think what you have found is an answer I gave to a question about how long can a type 2 live without treatment. On the basis of the research I did, it was suggested that as little as 2 years is not be uncommon, which would presumably be in severe cases where the individual is obese and has an exceptionally high carb diet. Where someone is exercising diet control, I wouldn't class this as "untreated".

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
According to recent lecture, there are very few type 1s in Mozambique. They die within a year without insulin.

C

catherinecherub

Little is known about diabetes there. It is very rural and lacking in training about diabetes. Very few H.C.P.'s in the hospitals in the towns are trained to spot it. Any insulin and diabetic supplies are scarce and unaccessable to the people who would benefit most. Diagnosis is usually too late hence the death rate for diabetics is high. Lots of them die from malnutrition.

Voilet

y sugarless sue on Today, 9:13 pm
Why can't they get insulin then?

Can't find the Pharmacy because of the density of palm trees.

In many, if not most, sub Saharan African countries diabetes for the vast majority of the population will be a death sentence which is very quickly executed.

What planet are you on!

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
You know,we all moan about our diabetes care but when you read about people dying still ,through lack of basic knowledge and resources in this day and age it makes you glad we live where we do.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Violet,

Being insulting may be your normal way of interacting with others, but it is not acceptable on this forum. I would remind you of one of the conditions that you agreed to when signing up to join the forum.

"Do not be rude or offensive
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but please try and go by the rule of only speaking to people here as you would on a face to face basis. Do not try and shock, upset or offend. Debate and discussion are fine, as are controversial opinions, but each individual should be treated with respect and tolerance. Remember, everyone is different in age, experience and the nature of their diabetes. Finding common ground and sharing help is the purpose of this forum."

If you cannot treat either the members or administrators of the forum with respect then I suggest that you go and poison some other forum.

Voilet

"Why can't they get insulin then?"

having spent some time in west Africa I find that remark offensive.

Let them eat cake??

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Violet,you may have spent time in Africa but i have not. It was a genuine question .I do not see why you should find this offensive.

Voilet

Think??????????

Many subsist for a year on what we might not last on for a few weeks at most. Most have no NHS or similar service. For a great many in Africa, diabetes is a death sentence, quickly executed.