Split dose lantus

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
My dsn has put me onto split dose of lantus, 10am and 10pm. The thing is I lay in at the weekends so do I just take my dose when I get up?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Never had to split my lantus but I would say it's best to keep the doses 12 hours apart if possible Sarah, anyway what time do you get up:eek:........ 10am is a mega lie-in for me.

Reactions: 2 people

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Could you put an alarm at 10, take your insulin and go back to sleep?

Annoying but it might be the only solution if you sleep in a lot later than 10.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mrburden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm on Levemir, but also take split doses.
I think the most important part of the split is the fact that they are taken at 12 hour intervals. If taking them at 11am and 11pm, or mid-day and mid-night is better for your lifestyle, that may be possible. Ask the nurse to adjust the timings to suit your day better.

Having the morning one a couple of hours late may well cause problems with blood glucose readings across the day because there will be an overlap of insulin when you take your night-time dose and a gap before you take the late morning dose, causing lows at night and highs in the mid morning.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
12 hours apart so if it's 10 and 10 or 12 and 12 etc then that's fine-works for me.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I think I will have to go back to once a day in that case. I always lay in at weekends, wouldn't be able to inject then go back to sleep.

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd have thought that your DSN might have suggested splitting the lantus dose for a reason; normally you'd consider twice daily if fasting BG just before you take your basal is creeping up, indicating that the basal insulin doesn't last for the full 24h.

mrburden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The DSN will usually have good reason to adjust your insulin. It won't be for their benefit.
I know we all live how we want to, but sometimes we have to accept that diabetes has to come first.