Slim in Six

Tron2112

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This is an exercise program that aims to get you toned and slim in six weeks.

I decided to try it because I'd seen the teleshopping commercial and it looked an easy workout and the customer testimonials seemed genuine.

I started yesterday and the workout is easy from the point of view that there are no complex moves or fancy dancy steps. If you've been largely sedentary for many years this is an ideal starting place.

Anyway, the goal is to see adding exercise will further reduce my HbA1c, and restart my weight loss. I will report here and let you know.

I started at 8.5% a year ago an have held steady at 5.8% this last six months but I want to get lower. I won't get another HbA1c until August so until then I will look for a reduction in my average readings from my meter.

Starting average BG: 6.9
Weight: 14st 1lb

Hoping to see reductions all round from exercising.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Thxs Tron for the offer of keeping us updated on your progress. I, too, have seen this advert and like many other similar have dismissed it as hype.

I wish you well

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I am also looking forward to seeing if it works. 6 weeks of exercise could make a good difference!

Good luck
Cara

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Exercise will always help, so keep it up. Despite this, diet is the number one way to control weight and this means reducing the carbs if you want to lose weight. So, keep up the exercise but also check that your daily carbs aren't too high e.g. something like 200gm max and perhaps a lot less.

Tron2112

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for the encouragement and advice guys. A bit of background:

In January 2012 I knew i would be getting married at the end of the year. I didn't want to walk down the aisle a size 24 so I decided to "cut down" on treats, exercise and lose weight. I started using myfitnesspal.com and wii fit. For two weeks. Then crashed. Not even my impending wedding day motivated me to take action to improve my health. Although it was the happiest day of my life, I was indeed size 24 as I walked down the aisle in December 2012.

Jan 2013 I was diagnosed with type 2. Weight 16 stone 5lbs. HbA1c 8.5%. I signed up here straight away and read up on how to manage. I got a meter and started testing and I started using myfitnesspal again, this time to keep an eye on carb consumption (150g to 200g per day was my goal). Changing diet helped me lose over 2 stone in five months and reduce HbA1c to 5.8% and keep it there since August 2013.

Some folks would be happy with that. But I know I can do better. I want to avoid insulin as long as i can. But I still make bad choices occasionally (mashed potato, cereal and rice are weaknesses I sometimes indulge) and when I do my BG can spike up to 12.3. I also want to lose more weight. 14 stone is nice after ten years at 16 stone. But I'm still a size twenty and 42C and clothes choices are limited. There's a whole world of places I could shop if I could get down to a size 18 and 40C!

So I came to the conclusion that I must exercise. But I'm not fit. Walking a flight of stairs at work wears me out. I have no strength or stamina. That's why slim in six appealed to me. Something I could do at home, no special equipment needed, no complicated moves, no jumping about or running on the spot, just activity to get heart rate up and muscles working.

So I've done it for three days so far. The cardio part is gentle but gets me puffing slightly, the resistance training is not hard but it takes effort and I do break a good sweat. And that's even after I've modified the activities to suit my low level of fitness. So I feel it's doing me good already.

I wouldn't recommend Slim in 6 if you already have a good level of fitness. It's too basic and slow for that type. But if you're heavy and unfit and want something to start you on the road to exercise this could work for you. It's not easy for this unfit bird - but if it was, it probably wouldn't work.

Watch this space!

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Having a look at that diet plan, I can't imagine it would ever work for me. 32 grams of carb at breakfast - I can't tolerate more than about 12g as morning is my worst time for handling carbs and this seems to be fairly common for Type 2s. Plus I have bad dawn phenomenon/morning insulin resistance and the only way I can control it is to eat as soon as possible after waking with as few carbs as possible - so waking up and doing exercise routines etc. would give me raised BG instead of lowered.

The total of 115g carbs per day is probably a good place to start, though maybe swap the lunch and breakfast carb allowances?

Good luck with it, but it just seems like a million other over-hyped infomercials to me ;)

Beshlie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All the best with it, Tron. Since last Spring I have lost just over 3 st - 1 st went before I was diagnosed with T2 in November. I am size 14 - 16 now, down from 22, but I'm having trouble adjusting and find myself still looking and once ordering size 22! I still have 1.1/2 st to go to reach my correct BMI and I'm wondering if, at size 10 - 12 ish I will accept I am much smaller! I will lose the remaining weight but, hope I recognise the person I see in the mirror is really me.lol.

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
All the best with it, Tron. Since last Spring I have lost just over 3 st - 1 st went before I was diagnosed with T2 in November. I am size 14 - 16 now, down from 22, but I'm having trouble adjusting and find myself still looking and once ordering size 22! I still have 1.1/2 st to go to reach my correct BMI and I'm wondering if, at size 10 - 12 ish I will accept I am much smaller! I will lose the remaining weight but, hope I recognise the person I see in the mirror is really me.lol.
Beshlie - well done, very well done. An inspiration for us all.

Tron2112

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well it's been just over a month since I started the program. You get three progressive workouts:
- Start It Up (35 minutes)
- Ramp It Up (55 minutes)
- Burn It Up (60 minutes)

You're meant to to spend two weeks at each workout. Because I was so unfit to begin with I did Start It Up on alternate days for two weeks. Then after I'd got used to the moves and I had built some strength and endurance, I stayed with Start It Up for another two weeks, this time I did it every day with only one break every four days.

I started to feel ready for the next level so last week I began Ramp It Up. This was a major shift and requires much more commitment not only because it's nearly an hour long. The demands of the workout are far greater in intensity. There is still no bouncing or high impact cardio, but plenty of resistance work just using your own body weight and resistance bands. It's not lightweight at all. The people working out in the video are proper fit and even they are sweating and finding it a challenge. So am I but I don't let it stop me. I have a holiday in six weeks and my goal is to go from size 20 to 18 by then, it's totally doable.

As far as blood sugar goes, I can't really tell if it's having a lowering effect. My next hba1c isn't until August. This is a long term commitment and when August comes I hope to get a reading in the 30s.

I would recommend this program to anyone who is concerned that they need to exercise. It starts gentle but really ramps up the intensity. It's only this last week that I'm starting to see weight loss and inch loss.

Tron2112

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm not following the diet plan that comes with it. I used the calculator on http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/DietMakeupCalc.php to work out how much weight I wanted to lose. It works out how many calories a day you will need to reach your goal and your carb/fat/protein ratios. I input the recommendations into myfitnesspal and record everything I eat. It's important to record everything so you don't delude yourself. "I don't eat that much, why can't I lose weight?"

I could not do the diet they recommend. I feel happier finding my own way.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
well done for staying with the plan, it takes a lot of dedication and you should be congratulated;)