Diagnosis Stories?

ClaireR1983

I was diagnosed T2 in 2008, mainly I assume due to my weight, & put on Metformin. Then in October 2011 I started being sick so I went to the Drs where I was told I had gastroenteritis & signed off for a week. Over that week I got more & more confused, even 'losing' a day somewhere in the middle. By the Friday night hubby was so worried he called out of hours who told him to bring me to a clinic in the hospital 8am Saturday morning. When I got there they tested my blood sugars, which were 30 & I was in DKA, therefore apparently obviously not T2. I was admitted and in for 4 days during which time I was told I had 'slow burning type 1' or T1.5, but to be treated as a T1 & started on insulin as well as the metformin.

That was 2 1/2 years ago now and I still struggle with sugars overnight being v high in the morning, but think I am making a breakthrough with that ATM.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Jess Alway

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed when I was 3 so don't really remember it! According to my family I was drinking a lot and consequently going to the loo a lot, I was also very tired.
The doctor said that if I hadn't been to see him when I did, I could of died!
All fine now tho, had type 1 for 14 years now. :)

alexwilko99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I'm Sarah. I'm 13 and was wondering if this could start off a conversation of our different experiences with being diagnosed with Diabetes! Feel free to comment or message me if you are interested in mine :) x

My diagnosis was a nightmare! (i was diagnosed a week ago)

T was really thirsty and weeing a lot so i booked an appointment with my GP, She had me do a urine test and i was told it would take a couple of day to come through, The problem being i was supposed to be going on the school ski trip to Italy in a few days time, i received a phone call saying that it had come back and i had to much glucose and to many ketones in my urine and that they were going to send it of to the lab, this meant nothing to me of course and the following day i set of to Italy. the first day skiing, my GP had been round to my house jumping up having only just seen the results of my urine test saying i needed bloods urgently, my mum had a nightmare trying to get hold of the teachers in Italy to get me to a hospital so to cut a long story short, i was left in a Italian hospital on my own having been diagnosed with T1 diabetes until my mum flew over. I'm now back in the UK and i'm seeing my local diabetic team.

teen-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was diagnosed on 15/3/11 the day after my brothers birthday. Looking back I'd been so thirsty and losing weight for a couple of months. When I first started losing weight my mum thought I was anorexic, as I was severely underweight. Anyway my mum booked me an emergency doctors appointment, and before we left I had a slice of birthday cake as I had no energy, oh dear! They tested my urine and blood sugars and sent me straight to the hospital which is were I spent the next 3 days. I'd never been admitted into hospital before and had always been healthy with no history of diabetes at all in my family, it was a huge shock

bealily

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah that pretty much sounds like what happened to me! In 2004 I had just moved to Spain and I started drinking a lot, peeing loads and loosing weight. Then my Nan turned very ill so my mum decided we would fly back to England to make sure she was ok! When we arrived in England my mum was getting worried because the excess peeing and drinking so she decided to take me to my Nan's GP... Literally within walking into the door and doing a urine test they sent me straight to hospital- it all happened so quickly! On the way to the hospital my mum thought she would stop off at Tesco and buy some overnight stuff for me just incase! Thank god she did because I was emitted into the children's unit straight away and had a drip put into my hand. The following day I was extremely ill and kept throwing up, this was the beginning of my diagnosis. I remained in hospital for 2 weeks and because I was 7 I got given a Teddy which has patches where injection sites are... This Teddy was my diabetic bear and I still have it to this day. Once out of hospital and I was feeling better, than before, we returned to Spain where the healthcare was very difficult. So it was kind of a miracle that my nan became ill (although she became better 3 days into me being in hospital) because it would have been an even bigger struggle if I was diagnosed in Spain.

SophSmiles

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed with T1 last week, I was exhausted for days all I wanted to do was sleep. I completely lost control of my moods and emotions, I went to the doctors because I thought I might have a hormone imbalance. The doctor initially thought that it was my thyroid, they did a fasting blood test and my sugar levels were 53!! They called me to go straight in and said that they were surprised I hadn't collapsed. It's been a shock and I'm still adapting, I don't have a big appetite and I'm finding it hard to understand my body and to remember or know when I need to eat.

keri

I was diagnosed 8 years ago, ages 6. At the same time I was going through symptoms of coeliacs disease at the same time so mine was terrible, I got sicker each and every day and had a huge lack of energy I couldn't participate well at school. I drank so much at least 100-150 glasses of water a day!! And I lost lost of weight yet cried for food, you could see my ribs and I was just bone, then I got took into hospital after seeing my GP, I was diagnosed then they said I may have celiac so I had to travel to Bristol! I was in hospital for 3 days for diabetes and took me about a month to recover! My bloods were 45 when I was taken in! X

Jamie-95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was 11 and diagnosed 2 weeks before christmas in 2006.
I was sent out of class for being disruptive because i was complaining about feeling sick and then i got really bad sharp pains in my stomach, i was sobbing from the pain feeling like i needed to be sick but nothing was happening, i hadn't eaten anything since my breakfast that day as i had no appetite. It was only when the teacher came out to have a word with me she realised i was in pain and needed medical attention, i was taken to the medical room in a wheelchair as i couldn't stand with the pain in my stomach and my mum was called to pick me up, at first everyone thought i was being bullied as no one has ever seen me so upset and thought that was the reason why i had dropped so much weight in such a short time of starting high school.
Once i got home i was starving and just wanted to eat but i wasn't allowed and i had to be taken the walk in centre where they tested my bloods and urine. I was asked if i was going the toilet more frequently and or was experiencing that i was more thirsty or tired than usual or had any unexplained weight loss... To which i answered yes to all.
I was then sent to hospital and it was then my mum had guessed i had diabetes as my childhood friend also had it and she knew then that he had gone through similar symptoms i was going through. They tested my blood twice(as the first time my results were mixed up with another persons) and i was then told i had diabetes. My first thought was oh okay and then i asked so what do you do to take it away? To which the doctor said we cant take it away you'll have it for the rest of your life i am so sorry but it is manageable by insulin injections and i just burst into tears and threw myself into my mums arms and she hugged me. I was then sent up to my ward and everything was explained to me, i was given an orange to practice injecting on , and within 3-4 days i was sent home as i could inject myself.
I am 19 years of age now and still have up and down days but it is controlled pretty well and i believe that my diabetes has helped me be the person i am today... Which is being more understanding to people and their problems.

paigewilli96

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Was odd tbh, Was peeing every 20 mins at college, thirsty 24/7 and my friend who is type 1 was like I bet you're diabetic, So I took a day off to go to doctors and I was pretty much diagnosed on the spot, no family history of it what so ever. Also I was above 30 at the time in my readings, The main things annoying me were the peeing and blurred eye sight :)
That's pretty much the exact story of my diagnosis :p except I don't have a diabetic friend so we just assumed I was lacking iron or something ;)

Negi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
I was diagnosed when i was 13 n half, on 26 January 2010, before that i had no clue about what it was!!!
i only knew that my grandpa had died because of diabetes some years ago
in the beginning of january i was starting to have headaches, i slept a lott, and was using toilet frequently.
My parents thought that it was viral and it will go away soon....but after 15 days still the same situation.
So my dad decided to take me for a check up. First time they didn't do sugar test, so the doctor told it was probably viral
and i will be fine soon, but it got worse!! So my dad decided to do my whole body check up (that was a big day)
and finally when the reports came out.....the doc was in shock to see that my sugar was 483.....i was admitted to the hospital.
I seriously did not have any idea about what was going on. i just thought that i will cured soon (still waiting:()
So here i am, its been 5 long years, i really can't believe it.

LogicalPie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was diagnosed about a week after my twelfth birthday, and actually the only reason I went to the doctors was because we had a lesson on diabetes a few months before. It was just a chance that we did diabetes, since our teacher needed something to do because we'd covered everthing we needed to. We were going through the symptoms, and that's when I realised.
A little after that, I threw up after having a McDonalds, and that's when my parents recognised that I wasn't just being melodramatic xD I got taken to the doctors one day when the teachers were on strike, so we had a day off school. They tested my bloods and it was somewhere in the high twenties, so they told me to go to the hospital straight away. They put me on four injections a day, and a year later they gave me a pump. I've been pretty well managed the whole time, but I haven't been doing so great these past few months (Hoping that's a normal thing and I'll just get over it).
Coming up to three years now, and I'm slowly getting used to having it!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi I was 31 when diagnosed, 25 years ago now. For many weeks I started to lose weight, very tired, the most incredible thirst ( I was actually drinking straight out of the tap) infections and just feeling so awful. Went to stay with my sister up north for a week, travelled up by coach. She noticed changes ( I went from 8 1/2 stone to 7stone 3) told her my symptoms, we agreed I would see my GP when I got back. She had a dinner party the next night and I was drinking gallons of Cream Soda, felt unwell and tearful, so my sister called for a doctor:doctor: and he suspected diabetes because of the 'pear drops' smell on my breath. An ambulance was called, so they took me to North Tees General and on the way dropped off my sister's step aunt because it was on the way ( she asked )!!. I was admitted for a week and had to stay another week at my sister's, because I wasn't allowed to travel back on my own. That's about it really:cool:.

prickles1998

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
oh my gosh yeah..my hair started falling out first I would notice it coming out in handfuls when I would wash or brush my hair..then I went to school one day and I was walking along and my right leg just stopped working and I fell down (so embarrassed!) I would drink 3 juice cartons at break time only taking me about 20 seconds to drink each one ..I would pee non stop aswell but my family just thought I was being overdramatic telling them about all of this. We went to spain on holidays the year before and I was walking around and I couldn't remember where I was or who anyone was around me and everything was so blurry (I presume this was a really bad low b.g and I just didn't know it yet)