Help! I have so much weight to lose

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that Gudrun. For me talking about something isn't easy, I am quite shy and find it hard to express myself verbally. Simply keying in the words is much easier. I know I've said this before, but well done on the walking! I am really impressed with you and what you have achieved so quickly. I know how draining exercise can be when you have ME so don't overdo it. I had to push so hard to do anything at all some days. Now exercise energises me again so I am feeling young again....until I look in the mirror.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK guys, I am looking for advice again please.

I have had my mind set on asking my GP for Metformin for many weeks now. I initially put it off because I was due to have a minor op and felt it was best to wait until afterwards. When I finally asked him a couple of weeks ago he said something which I am worrying about now. No, that's not quite true. He didn't actually say it. I have this habit of listening to what people say and then hearing what I think they mean....you know a bit like Mock the Week, Hugh Dennis on what Andy Murray really means, that sort of thing.

So I asked him if I could have Metformin and he said 'Yes, but your BG's have been really good, why do you want it?'
'Because I need help now, I can't do this on my own anymore, I am losing the battle'
'How do you know this?'
Deep breath...'I have bought myself a meter'
Slight hesitation 'Ok, what are your readings like?'
'My fasting one has crept up to around 8.5, it used to be 5.3'
'I'll check on my chart.....it's still OK...your average will still probably be OK'
'I prefer it to be 5.3 and I don't seem to be able to stick to such a good diet nowadays . I would like Metformin because I have read that it helps improve insulin sensitivity'
'Is it your weight that's bothering you?'
'Yes, of course, and if I can lose weight it will help improve my insulin sensitivity''
'Have you ever considered Slimming World? I can refer you so that the first 3 months are free'
'No, but I've joined Weight Watchers twice, it didn't help much, Can I have Metformin please?' What I am actually thinking here is.....'fine I'll join SW if it gets you brownie points for the referral and proves to you that I'll do anything I can to help myself.' You can lead a zand to Slimming World but you can't make her follow their diet.

Now this is the bit of the conversation which I feel uneasy about.

Dr...'OK, Here's the referral letter...I'd like to do the usual diabetic blood tests before we do anything else, it's good to have them as reference as to how we are doing...and I am away on holiday now, until after Easter, so make an appointment for tests about a week before then and then come back to discuss it further'
What I heard was 'I am fobbing you off with the SW letter because I don't think your kidney function is very good and you can't have Metformin.'
What I thought was '****!'
What I said was 'Can I have a vitamin D test too please.'

So thoughts please. Yes, I know I have to wait and see what the tests say; I may be worrying about nothing. But if it's not nothing then I want to be armed with the facts to plead my case, because I think I still want Metformin. When My blood pressure was extremely high several years ago (240/180) there was protein in my urine. I can't find any of my old blood test results, but I am looking for them. I have never bothered looking at the kidney ones much before, thinking only 'if my kidneys are damaged, they are damaged, there's no point worrying about it'. ( I have largely concentrated on improving my BG's and liver counts.) What do I need to look for?

I have read and printed out a few articles from the internet...eg....

Metformin and Fatal Lactic Acidosis
Could Metformin Actually Protect Kidneys? ( concludes Yes. but only healthy ones)
Use of Metformin in the Setting of Mild-to-Moderate Renal Insufficiency

Other factors:
I notice dehydration is a problem. I will have to be more disciplined with the amount of water I drink if I take Metformin.
I have had problems with AF over past few years, though not since Nov 2012, otherwise my heart is fine.
I am mildly asthmatic.

Anything else I need to know?

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Morning Zand

Metformin - my doc told me that as a diabetic I am more likely to develop cardiovascular problems and that metformin would help to protect me from this. She said it would help to suppress my appetite to aid weight loss. So far so good. From what I have read, met costs coppers so I don't think this should be an issue for your doc.

Slimming world - Stay away from the green days. I didn't and broke my metabolism. Red days are better for bg. However, I don't think you need SW if you don't want to go. You have us lot and the diet doctor for support.

Kidneys - did your doc actually mention kidneys? Ask for print outs of all the tests that are done so that you have evidence in black and white rather that worrying about what you might have heard. There are clever peeps on here who can interpret results for you.

Reactions: 2 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Are you weighing yourself weekly? How much have you lost so far? Do you keep a food diary? How do you reward yourself when you have lost? I used to buy choccie, nice food, wine. I am now breaking that habit!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, Avocado.

Yes, I read that Metformin was cheap and I am happy to try the standard version first because I read that the SR one is more expensive. I'll ask for that later if I need it.

I haven't even opened the Slimming World books! I am only going to keep my doctor happy and to get an 'official weigh-in' every week so I can tell you guys my progress. I am turning up, weighing then leaving. I am following LCHF, though not as strictly as I have done previously. The first week of SW was enough to put me off, with talk like 'We don't want butter do we?' and 'Pasta is our friend'. It's fine while it's still free, but I think I'll still go when I have to pay, because very occasionally my scales at home have weighed wrong in the past, causing me to give up/binge/kill the cat. (No, we don't and never have had a cat, but you know what I mean.

No my doctor didn't actually mention kidneys, it was just something.... I don't know, I just felt he said some thing and it wasn't the full story. When I went for the blood tests last week I asked the nurse which was she was doing and she said 'Normal diabetic ones, kidney function and Vitamin D'

Yes you are right there are lots of clever peeps on here. I 'm just not sure many of them will want to read my drivel.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, have you ever tried the Weight Watchers diet? I found that much better than Slimming World.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Hi Sammy, thanks for the reply. Yes I have done Weight Watchers a couple of times. Once when I was only 9st 12lbs to start with. I know I may sound a bit crazy, but I'm actually only going to SW to be weighed as I know LCHF is the right diet for me, so it doesn't really matter which one I go to. Thanks for input though, I am storing all replies in my brain in case I need to change tack later on.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi, Avocado.

Yes, I read that Metformin was cheap and I am happy to try the standard version first because I read that the SR one is more expensive. I'll ask for that later if I need it.

I haven't even opened the Slimming World books! I am only going to keep my doctor happy and to get an 'official weigh-in' every week so I can tell you guys my progress. I am turning up, weighing then leaving. I am following LCHF, though not as strictly as I have done previously. The first week of SW was enough to put me off, with talk like 'We don't want butter do we?' and 'Pasta is our friend'. It's fine while it's still free, but I think I'll still go when I have to pay, because very occasionally my scales at home have weighed wrong in the past, causing me to give up/binge/kill the cat. (No, we don't and never have had a cat, but you know what I mean.

No my doctor didn't actually mention kidneys, it was just something.... I don't know, I just felt he said some thing and it wasn't the full story. When I went for the blood tests last week I asked the nurse which was she was doing and she said 'Normal diabetic ones, kidney function and Vitamin D'

Yes you are right there are lots of clever peeps on here. I 'm just not sure many of them will want to read my drivel.
I couldn't stand slimming world. The bit where everyone sat around complaining that they hadn't lost weight did my head in. They were soo in denial. Instead if just being honest and saying that they'd gained because they'd had 5 take outs that week they'd claim they didn't know why! One poor lady bought cadburys choccies for the Christmas tree then ate the lot. 3 times in one week! So I left and then I gradually was 2 stone fatter than when I went there! Now that I've got the big d, I come on here and it feels a lot healthier mentally and physically. Ive met some fab people and you're all quite sane too! (Well saner than me anyway! )

Reactions: 4 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you weighing yourself weekly? How much have you lost so far? Do you keep a food diary? How do you reward yourself when you have lost? I used to buy choccie, nice food, wine. I am now breaking that habit!
Good Morning Scandi.

How's the sunburn, have you woken up with a gorgeous tan yet?

Yes I'm weighing weekly at SW, but am nipping onto the scales here occasionally when no-one is looking. I know I shouldn't but the weekly one is the official one if you see what I mean. I have only been going for a couple of weeks and have lost 3 1/2 pounds so far. I'll let you all know the update tomorrow because Tuesday is Weighday.

Now this is different for me, I used to reward myself when I had lost some. Now I don't feel the need. The reward I suppose is giving you guys the update. That's all I need to motivate me now.

No, I don't do a food diary yet. I will later when things get a bit tougher. I am not eating between meals at all and am having 2 or 3 meals a day when required. The thing I really need to do is a fluid intake diary, so perhaps I will start that today....... I will start that today.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, Avocado.
You aren't in UK where you don't pay? I know the Dr/health system like to use standard there as it's penny pinching.
In austalia there is little difference in cost between standard and slow release, and what little it is isn't worth talking about. I assume that would apply to most pay/copay nations

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hmmm.. probably a lot less than stuff I like
I confess I loathe Slimming World. I had been a member for a year or so (some time ago), always stayed for the session afterwards as well (wanted to get my money's worth).

Healthy food (fresh food, cooked from scratch) was hardly ever mentioned. As long as it had low points, the most horrific pre-cooked and processed meals were suggested. I remember we were encouraged to eat some sausages with hardly any meat (and a most disgusting taste) because they were low in points.

What I resented more than anything was the attitude of 'Do as I say and don't ask questions'.... Bananas are fine to eat (no points) but if you mash them (for example to put on toast) you have to count a point. I asked 'Why' and got the answers 'That's all worked out at SW'. To my question 'How is it worked out? What's the science behind it?' I got no reply.

I also tried Weight Watchers once but got turned off when the leader suggested to the woman in front of me to take off her glasses and rings as she may just weigh a little less without them (and she was serious about it as well)...

I understand that the support by others can be useful, but it's not for me.

For me, I don't really care what numbers the scales give. Mine weigh differently than my GP's (mine
actually weigh more), but as long as the numbers go down, I'll be satisfied.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Good Morning Scandi.

How's the sunburn, have you woken up with a gorgeous tan yet?

Yes I'm weighing weekly at SW, but am nipping onto the scales here occasionally when no-one is looking. I know I shouldn't but the weekly one is the official one if you see what I mean. I have only been going for a couple of weeks and have lost 3 1/2 pounds so far. I'll let you all know the update tomorrow because Tuesday is Weighday.

Now this is different for me, I used to reward myself when I had lost some. Now I don't feel the need. The reward I suppose is giving you guys the update. That's all I need to motivate me now.

No, I don't do a food diary yet. I will later when things get a bit tougher. I am not eating between meals at all and am having 2 or 3 meals a day when required. The thing I really need to do is a fluid intake diary, so perhaps I will start that today....... I will start that today.
Red has gone to off white! I'm sure fluid is the key. I don't drink enough either although I'm trying! Back from mums but weird without kids. They woke us up by face timing us bright and early! Hubbie just making brekkie now! Got to do marking:( don't want to! Lol!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You aren't in UK where you don't pay? I know the Dr/health system like to use standard there as it's penny pinching.
In austalia there is little difference in cost between standard and slow release, and what little it is isn't worth talking about. I assume that would apply to most pay/copay nations

Hi Jack,

Yes I am in UK. It's just that I am aware of the penny pinching in the NHS and I'm quite happy to try the cheaper one first to keep 'them' happy. I am just so desperate to get my hands on some. If all else fails I do have a cousin in Australia who I could visit..........

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I confess I loathe Slimming World. I have been a member for a year or so, always stayed for the session afterwards as well (wanted to get my money's worth).

Healthy food (fresh food, cooked from scratch) was hardly ever mentioned. As long as it had low points, the most horrific pre-cooked and processed meals were suggested. I remember we were encouraged to eat some sausages with hardly any meat (and a most disgusting taste) because they were low in points.

What I resented more than anything was the attitude of 'Do as I say and don't ask questions'.... Bananas are fine to eat (no points) but if you mash them (for example to put on toast) you have to count a point. I asked 'Why' and got the answers 'That's all worked out at SW'. To my question 'How is it worked out? What's the science behind it?' I got no reply.

I also tried Weight Watchers once but got turned off when the leader suggested to the woman in front of me to take off her glasses and rings as she may just weigh a little less without them (and she was serious about it as well)...

I understand that the support by others can be useful, but it's not for me.

For me, I don't really care what numbers the scales give. Mine weigh differently than my GP's (they actually weigh more), but as long as the numbers go down, I'll be satisfied.
When I read this, it makes me worried that so many people never question things and just do as they're told. Why? I like the scientific evidence too. Are you sure that you're not a teacher as well? Lol!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Thanks for this Gudrun it's going to be my 'giggle for the day'

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
image.jpg

Reactions: 7 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

I couldn't stand slimming world. The bit where everyone sat around complaining that they hadn't lost weight did my head in. They were soo in denial. Instead if just being honest and saying that they'd gained because they'd had 5 take outs that week they'd claim they didn't know why! One poor lady bought cadburys choccies for the Christmas tree then ate the lot. 3 times in one week! So I left and then I gradually was 2 stone fatter than when I went there! Now that I've got the big d, I come on here and it feels a lot healthier mentally and physically. Ive met some fab people and you're all quite sane too! (Well saner than me anyway! )
Was it like this?

Reactions: 5 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Jack,

Yes I am in UK. It's just that I am aware of the penny pinching in the NHS and I'm quite happy to try the cheaper one first to keep 'them' happy. I am just so desperate to get my hands on some. If all else fails I do have a cousin in Australia who I could visit..........
It's a shame when you are really trying to look after yourself and have to beg for medication, In the long run, proper meds and BG control will save them money from uncontrolled BG complications
as per my signature, I've had a good result from Metformin and LCHF, I'm even starting to cut the metformin back a bit