Off Metformin

Sunhat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was at the Dr this morning- he said as I am so well controlled he is taking me off my Metformin for a trial. I have lost 2 1/2 stone and kept my weight at the level it should be (the Dr said it was perfect for my height:):cat: ) so to try without Metformin. I have a blood test next Tuesday and then another in 3 months. I will need to make sure I check my levels more often after eating. He asked how I had lost weight- by eating sensible portions and not filling my plate to the top and walking more often.
It will be interesting how things go.

Sunhat

Reactions: 12 people

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Thats brilliant, dont be too concerned with the blood test next week as when I cut my met down from 4 a day to 2 a day I didnt see any difference at first but my hba1c went up by a point or two my last hba1c was 5.4 I think up from 5.1 while still on 4 met a day. That said I have found my hba1c's varying from 5.7 to 5.1 over the last 5 years, so its hard to know if there was any real difference....

Congratulations
clap.gif

coley83

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
politicians
Well done Sunhat will look out for your progress so keep posting

Sunhat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was nudging a size 16, now a size 12 and I notice the weight loss:) I have loads of clothes to use as decorating ones.

Sunhat

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I was nudging a size 16, now a size 12 and I notice the weight loss:) I have loads of clothes to use as decorating ones.

This weight loss costs a lot of money doesn't it. Excellent effort.

Reactions: 3 people

Sunhat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I picked upmy blood test results this morning- my neighbour is a secretary at the medical center so I can get my results before I see the Doctor and take a good look first!
Consideriing I have not been as good as I should have been (I had a s*d it spell) they are not too bad. I am now back on track and being a good girl!!
My total cholesterol was up, from 5 to 6.19
my LDL last test in November it was 4.61 it is now 4.02 so going the right way
HDL last October (missed off the Nov test) 1.74 now 1.76 (I believe it should be 1.2 or higher?)
Triglicerides, last Nov 0.86 today 0.89
HBA1c a year ago 6.50 today 5.70 so an improvement there.
I have another blood test in 3 months.
As normal, my liver count is up, they have not a clue as to why that happens, It has been the same now for about 20 years- the Dr in the UK said I should have yellow skin/eyes! Did I drink? They assumed I was a bit of a drinker!! If a tiny amount of rioja topped up with loads of sugar free lemonade type stuff once in 3 months counts as being I drinker I am guilty as charged!!:woot: The Dr assumed my liver does not like to be starved. I have had a liver scan 3 times- all ok!

Since being off the metformin my painful arms have stopped hurting as much- I could hardly lift them above my head to reach out for something or get dressed. Coincidence or was it the pills?

Got to work on the cholesterol, I will get it back down without pills! Cant get out walking much at the moment, we live rural and the tracks are so muddy-the rain in Spain does not stay on the plains!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on your latest HbA1c result. Your triglycerides are excellent (under 1.7 is good). The LDL is high (should be under 2) but you do seem to be going in the right direction. Keep it up! Sorry about the rain in Spain. It's been beautiful here in Lancashire!

Sunhat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have 3 nice new size 12 dresses to wear- some chance at the moment!! I have taken my cholesterol drink ( i usually forget) going to make sure I take them every day. I found, well my husband found, rolls called ´thins´, as round as a teacup and thinner than a slice of bread and wholemeal- so giving them a try- I have been trying to eat salads and mostly veg but it is leaving me hungry an hour later.
I have 3 months to improve my cholesterol-and I WILL!

How do the numbers translate from the old numbers used in the uk to the new numbers- for HbA1c?

Reactions: 2 people

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very good results Sunhat congratulations. I also live in Spain and it's been raining here on the costa del sol for the last 2 days ! Feel sorry for all the holiday makers here at the moment .

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Sunhat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It´s ok Connie, spring is back- hopefully the ground will dry so I can go walking- our track is a tad muddy! Funny you should ask that Johnco, I have been hungry between meals, I did not think of it being the ´met´ that made me feel full up.

Thanks for the link Bluetit, appreciated:)

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, thieves, users, cruelty, doing the washing up. Lol
Well done on your progress I am not a lover of meds, so well done coming of the Metformin.

Sunhat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The Dr was very pleased, my glucose was only 1 point over the top number:) (I live in Spain, they have different numbers here) so hopefully when I get re-tested in 3-4 months time I will be within the ranges suggested. It is something to work towards.:angelic:
We have a lovely fig tree in the garden- it is full of the early figs- Breva´s I might have to be bad and have one every now and again-they are wonderful, but very naughty:arghh:
I would like to lose another 5 lbs and then I would be 9 stone and 5`2" One BMI place said I should be just over 8 stone- I think that is a tad underweight for me! :woot:

Sunhat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
3 months later and my results were good. My HbA1c was up slightly (I had a to hell with it all couple of weeks) but only slightly,from 5.7 to 6.0 but I am back on track, so that will hopefully go back down. My tryglicerides were down again as was my total cholesterol. I had a high GGT liver reading again- it always goes up- I did have a martini 2 weeks ago! If I have 1 drink in 2-3 months that is all. I have had liver scans- all ok, they assume my liver does not like being starved. The first time I had an elevated liver reading the Dr re-did the test, another high reading- they wondered if I was an alcoholic!!! My weight has stayed more or less the same (size 12) I get to see the Dr tomorrow, so hopefully he will be pleased with my results and keep me off the medication. I just take 1 asprin a day.
Diabetis will not kill me like it did my brother and father (both ignored the symptoms for a few years) I control it, not diabetis control me!!

Sunhat :)

Reactions: 9 people

Sunhat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The Doctor is more than pleased for me to stay off medication :) I get to see the Nurse every month, she checks my blood pressure, a finger prick blood test and asks a few questions. So being looked after well here.