Cycling with diabetes?

lewisf94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
Hi so im kinda new to the forum, ive looked at bits ofinformation a few times as i follow diabetes uk on facebook. I am thinking of getting into cycling very soon. Im not going to lie im nervous about controlling my blood sugar while riding. I am nervous because i tend to experience low blood sugars a fair bit while in work and im sure the same will happen while riding. Does anybody have any advice? I would be very grateful. Im trying to take some extra lengths to improve my health and diabetes control as i have kind of stopped smoking (vip vapour cig) and i need to get active like i used tobe.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Hi Lewis, I think the most important advice would be to test often whilst cycling, especially when you first start. Take hypo treatment with you when you cycle and also some slow acting carbs, nuts or something similar. You will probably find you may need to adjust meds. If you are on basal/bolus, this may mean both. Prior to starting though, it may be a good idea to start keeping a BG/ food diary now if you regularly hypo now. Try to get your doses correct now will help when you start to increase exercise. You may experience a few hiccups when you start, the odd hypo etc, but try to stick with it as regular exercise is so important for general health. There is a forum member, ElyDave who has much more experience in this than me, hopefully he will pick up on your post.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

lewisf94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
So would you suggest getting off the bike at some point and test? Or do you mean before and after? Would you say brown bread is slow acting carb? Thanks for your time its appreciated.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
So would you suggest getting off the bike at some point and test? Or do you mean before and after? Would you say brown bread is slow acting carb? Thanks for your time its appreciated.

I would test before, during and after. Especially in the beginning. Obviously it would depend how far you cycle. I have no clue of your current level of fitness so if we're talking a 20min steady plod, before and after is fine. If you are thinking an hour or over, I would certainly stop and test. As for slow acting carbs, you can eat a slice of wholemeal bread if that is what you fancy. There are many other options too. Good luck.

lewisf94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
Yes i think that would be wise and yes wholemeal bread is lovely! I will look into some other options too. As for taking hypo treatment, i have lucozade tablets, would you say that was suitable? Thanks.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Yes i think that would be wise and yes wholemeal bread is lovely! I will look into some other options too. As for taking hypo treatment, i have lucozade tablets, would you say that was suitable? Thanks.

Yes, they are fine. Again, there are many options, Dextrose, jelly babies etc. The website Andy recommended is very good BTW.

lewisf94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
Hi guys so i have started cycling and i have a question, i know insulin sensivity increases after exercise but how long for? A day?

Miss90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hey, I go to the gym about 4 times a week and what I tend to do is reduce my insulin with the meal closest to my gym time and test before and after (and during if I need to). I also eat a banana before training and reduce my levemir at night to try and prevent night time hypos. Hope this helps!

lewisf94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
Thanks its just i went for a long cycle yesterday and this morning i injected for my breakfast id say only to counteract my bs and no more as i was working and i ended up having 2 hypos within 3 hours of the shift which is rare

Reactions: lazytech

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is soemthing I've been experimenting with over the last 10 months since my own T1 diagnosis.

Generally I've bought it down to long ride/run rules and short ride/run rules.

Short rides or runs - less than one hour
If <2hours post meal, reduce your meal time bolus, depending on intensity you expect. Anywhere between 20% and 50%
Test pre, after half an hour and at the end.
Take quick acting and slow acting carbs with you, I tend to use gels or mini packets of haribos for quikc acting as they don't go icky in the pockets. Slower acting I have a variety of nut and fruit based bars, good high density energy, medium GI. Malt loaf is good as well.
If I'm doing something like long intervals or a tempo workout with a higher aerobic demand I'll test more often, say at the end of a 2km interval at race pace.

Longer runs/rides - Runs>90 mins, rides>2hr, these tend to be in the morning
1) reduce morning basal, Levemir in my case to 1 unit (normal 3.5)
2) reduce morning bolus to 1 unit, just to keep the carbs moving in the right direction. You may need to experiment with this, but I becoem extremely insulin sensitive
3) estimate your carb needs - I work on 60g per hour for steady distance work, varies depending on effort (wind, speed when cycling, pace and terrain when running), add on a safety margin and double my usual just in case emergency QA carbs. Long runs are done with a small pack/camelback.
4) test pre run/ride - this will be high. Test frequently, in my case 45 mins while cycling, 5km while running, you may want to be more frequent until you've understood your bodies response. In my case, as an example, I've started a run at 13.6 and 5km later been at 3.8. My target is to be steadily measuring at >5.5, <7.5

As for the mechanics of testing, for cycling, I just pull over to the side of the road, somewhere safe and do it there, for running I've developed it to the point where I slow to a walk to get everything ready, including pricking the finger, then the only thing I stop for is applying the blood to the sensor.

Hope that helps,

Dave

diabeticdancer

This is soemthing I've been experimenting with over the last 10 months since my own T1 diagnosis.

Generally I've bought it down to long ride/run rules and short ride/run rules.

Short rides or runs - less than one hour
If <2hours post meal, reduce your meal time bolus, depending on intensity you expect. Anywhere between 20% and 50%
Test pre, after half an hour and at the end.
Take quick acting and slow acting carbs with you, I tend to use gels or mini packets of haribos for quikc acting as they don't go icky in the pockets. Slower acting I have a variety of nut and fruit based bars, good high density energy, medium GI. Malt loaf is good as well.
If I'm doing something like long intervals or a tempo workout with a higher aerobic demand I'll test more often, say at the end of a 2km interval at race pace.

Longer runs/rides - Runs>90 mins, rides>2hr, these tend to be in the morning
1) reduce morning basal, Levemir in my case to 1 unit (normal 3.5)
2) reduce morning bolus to 1 unit, just to keep the carbs moving in the right direction. You may need to experiment with this, but I becoem extremely insulin sensitive
3) estimate your carb needs - I work on 60g per hour for steady distance work, varies depending on effort (wind, speed when cycling, pace and terrain when running), add on a safety margin and double my usual just in case emergency QA carbs. Long runs are done with a small pack/camelback.
4) test pre run/ride - this will be high. Test frequently, in my case 45 mins while cycling, 5km while running, you may want to be more frequent until you've understood your bodies response. In my case, as an example, I've started a run at 13.6 and 5km later been at 3.8. My target is to be steadily measuring at >5.5, <7.5

As for the mechanics of testing, for cycling, I just pull over to the side of the road, somewhere safe and do it there, for running I've developed it to the point where I slow to a walk to get everything ready, including pricking the finger, then the only thing I stop for is applying the blood to the sensor.

Hope that helps,

Dave
What do you eat as pre workout carbs?? It's great reading your posts as I love to workout and I will definitely use your findings as a guideline for myself. Thank you

lewisf94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
Thankyou very much elydave, i have yet to have a hypo during a ride god forbid i do, i dont use slow and fast acting maybe i should start doing that. I tend to have my rides after dinner by then i have already taken my levemir, when i know im going for a ride i take 6u levemir but if not its usually 10u and at dinner my novorapid is halved. Usually beginning the ride at 11-13bs

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi guys so i have started cycling and i have a question, i know insulin sensivity increases after exercise but how long for? A day?

There are two effects, short term and long term. Short term your insulin requirements are lower in roughly the day after exercise. This appears like insulin sensitivity but it's actually just replenishment of your glycogen stores pulling glucose out of your blood. Longer term with regular exercise you get an actual improvement (increase) in insulin sensitivity that translates to lower basal requirements, lower insulin:carb ratio, and lower insulin correction ratio. This is independent of, and additional to, any weight loss. Weight loss will also reduce your basal requirements and increase your insulin correction factor (but not your insulin:carb ratio).

As an aside, exercise also has the unfortunate effect of impairing your hypo sensitivity for about a day.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What do you eat as pre workout carbs?? It's great reading your posts as I love to workout and I will definitely use your findings as a guideline for myself. Thank you

depends on my levels. If >5.5 nothing.

If <5.5 maybe an oatcake, a coupel of dates or a biscuit like a fig roll, something not too quick acting as I want to limit the drop, not give myself a spike.

If I'm feeling particularly devilish, maybe a single dark Bounty bar.

ne0h

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi so im kinda new to the forum, ive looked at bits ofinformation a few times as i follow diabetes uk on facebook. I am thinking of getting into cycling very soon. Im not going to lie im nervous about controlling my blood sugar while riding. I am nervous because i tend to experience low blood sugars a fair bit while in work and im sure the same will happen while riding. Does anybody have any advice? I would be very grateful. Im trying to take some extra lengths to improve my health and diabetes control as i have kind of stopped smoking (vip vapour cig) and i need to get active like i used tobe.
Don't get involved in cycling. It is a dangerous pursuit that kills many people each year in vehicle accidents. There are far safer ways to get frequent exercise.