Coke zero as a treat

Caroline777

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I read online that diet drinks are not advised because of the side effects it can cause but how about coke zero?? My friend tells me that's the best non sugar drink you'll find??

Please read what I have posted about artificial sweeteners Dzialo and stop taking the zero coke to protect your health.

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Opalshards I am glad to see that you know the truth about Aspartame as well :) so many more people need to know the truth about this toxic sweetener.
People also need to be aware that aspartame is not only used as a sweetener in diet drinks, but also alongside sugar in the regular versions of the drink. When I decided to give up artificial sweeteners several years ago, I could only find one orange squash in my local supermarket which did not contain aspartame.

When I became diabetic my nurse asked if I had read the Diabetes UK booklet that she had given me. I said 'yes', but I had put it away again because there were at least three bits of advice in there that I considered to be bad.
1. drink diet drinks.
2. eat wholemeal carbs.
3. eat 5 portions of fruit and veg daily (not enough)

I began drinking diet drinks in the first place because I had a leaflet from my local surgery about weight loss saying 'drink as much fluid as you can, diet drinks are ideal' It's easy to make the mistake of blindly following what health care professionals tell you...until you have been caught out by bad advice. Then you learn to research it.

Reactions: 6 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Any artificial sweetener = especially ASPARTAME = can be dangerous to your health.
For some people it can take years for others just a few months before they come down will all different side effects - each person is different. But the most deadly ones are cancer, diabetes - yes diabetes! - heart trouble, blindness and a host of other serious diseases and complications not to mention weight gain..

I agree. In me, aspartame caused fatty liver, which in turn caused insulin resistance, which caused weight gain ( several stones), which caused diabetes, which caused worse eyesight. I have had heart problems, but I believe these were in the most part caused by a combination of blood pressure tablets, as I had given up all sweeteners for a few years before the problems started.

Of course this is wonderful for the 'diet' industry because I now really DO need to lose weight.

sarah

Hi Zand,

How do you know it was aspartame that caused your fatty liver? And does fatty liver cause insulin resistance? Not being deliberately argumentative, just genuinely interested as someone who also has suffered from elevated liver numbers. Thanks.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Zand,

How do you know it was aspartame that caused your fatty liver? And does fatty liver cause insulin resistance? Not being deliberately argumentative, just genuinely interested as someone who also has suffered from elevated liver numbers. Thanks.

Can't remember which liver test it was, sorry, it's the one that should be below 35. Well mine was 154 and 158 in the next one. The only thing I changed was stopping the diet drinks and it went down to around 80. I had been to the doctor because I couldn't lose weight. She wasn't very helpful so I bought a load of books and read about syndrome X and insulin resistance. It all fitted. I remember reading that fatty liver and also a high cholesterol ratio could cause insulin resistance.. Since cutting out the worst carbs...bread, sugar , pasta, potatoes, rice ...my reading has gone down to 40. I did read on a thread here the other day that the body 'thinks' diet drinks are like carbs, so this could explain why. Sorry, I can't remember which books now, it was a long time ago.

I decided to work on my liver because if that wasn't working properly, how could I lose weight?

I should also mention that my intake of fats, both saturated and unsaturated has gone up during this time.

I realise this isn't very scientific, but nowadays I tend to listen to anecdotal evidence, especially if I have heard the same thing from 3 or 4 people. I have found out many valuable pieces of advice this way. Hope this helps, it may or it may not.

sarah

Thanks for such a comprehensive answer. Very helpful. I have found that reducing carbs and losing weight has helped my liver numbers but still a way to go on both counts. Thanks again

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
Any artificial sweetener = especially ASPARTAME = can be dangerous to your health. The only sweetener I will use is Stevia which is now in the U.K. Stevia is made purely from a plant so no dangerous side effects.

When the professionals tell you to take artificial sweeteners they do so in ignorance following guidelines by departments of food health etc that follow guidelines from others without going fully into the history and background of them. I researched Aspartame for many many months and was able to trace the history and background of this most dangerous and toxic sweetener. I can only suggest you do the same before it makes you very ill. For some people it can take years for others just a few months before they come down will all different side effects - each person is different. But the most deadly ones are cancer, diabetes - yes diabetes! - heart trouble, blindness and a host of other serious diseases and complications not to mention weight gain.

Some health professionals do know about this but the most are left in the dark because they go by what they are told. Once you research it enough you find the truth about it.

I have highlighted Aspartame the most because it is the No.1 dangerous sweetener but Splenda and others also have some serious probs as well.

Thanks for all that info, I would be interested in the sources of your information.

When it comes down to it, it really is an individual choice just as everything else is but I don't think that putting anything artificial foodwise into my body can be a good thing can it? It would seem to me to be extremely difficult to avoid all sources of artificial food really but as I try to eat products that are as natural as I can find I am doing all I can to improve my previous bad habits.

I am not too convinced that very small amounts of artificial product now and again will kill me but I don't drink any artificial drinks anyhow so am probably not qualified to talk about that.

We have water pumped to the house from a tank in the garden, It tastes pretty 'earthy' so we have a water filter out of necessity. I find a squirt of lime or lemon juice and a couple of ice cubes are enough for me.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
The only problem with all of this, is that most of the research on sweetners was funded by the sugar industry.

There's not nearly as much reason to fear sugar substitutes as there is to fear actual sugar and high-fructose corn syrup. The assumption that these noncaloric or low-cal sweeteners are likely to be cancer-causing agents, and that sugar and high-fructose corn syrup are not, is as much a sugar-industry invention as anything else.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/10/02/magazine/29mag-food-issue.html?ref=magazine#/health

Reactions: 4 people

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
I found this, not offering any opinion on my part but Healthy Food Guide here in NZ doesn't haven't any axe to grind or anything to gain, they are, as far as I am aware, an independent publication. Even if you are incensed by this, try to get to the end of it, the last paragraph is useful. :)

http://www.healthyfood.co.nz/articles/2008/november/ask-the-experts-diet-drinks

Just noticed the date of this article, it may not be the most up to date I suppose but does seem pretty comprehensive.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I read online that diet drinks are not advised because of the side effects it can cause but how about coke zero?? My friend tells me that's the best non sugar drink you'll find??

30 years ago there was a scare about fizzy drinks using saccharin as a sweetener, but you needed to be drinking 300 bottles per day to get cancer. Some sugar free drinks are better than others though, the worst you'll get is an upset tummy. Cola based drinks though used to potentially cause kidney trouble, but that was the coca, not the sweetener. Again, just go easy on quantity.

My favourite is Morrisons Diet Lemonade, which is zero calorie, zero carbs and zero lemons. So I add the juice of a freshly squeezed lemon into it along with some of the yellow flesh - not the pith or rind. The flesh is high in soluble fibre. The result, if you keep the lemonade in the fridge, is an excellent quality fresh lemon fizzy drink, better than any so called gourmet lemonades. I use a whole lemon to one large glass. Satifies for at least an hour.

Learn to love iced green tea too. Here a mintyy version of it:

minty-iced-green-tea-400x400.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
30 years ago there was a scare about fizzy drinks using saccharin as a sweetener, but you needed to be drinking 300 bottles per day to get cancer.

Really? I'd better cut back then. From tomorrow I'm limiting myself to 299 bottles of Diet Coke a day.

Reactions: 3 people

Caroline777

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for all that info, I would be interested in the sources of your information.

When it comes down to it, it really is an individual choice just as everything else is but I don't think that putting anything artificial foodwise into my body can be a good thing can it? It would seem to me to be extremely difficult to avoid all sources of artificial food really but as I try to eat products that are as natural as I can find I am doing all I can to improve my previous bad habits.

I am not too convinced that very small amounts of artificial product now and again will kill me but I don't drink any artificial drinks anyhow so am probably not qualified to talk about that.

We have water pumped to the house from a tank in the garden, It tastes pretty 'earthy' so we have a water filter out of necessity. I find a squirt of lime or lemon juice and a couple of ice cubes are enough for me.

Hi Popsy I will have to go back over my notes etc - will give you links in a day or so. Because of the freedom of information acts you can trace back and read how bribery and corruption got aspartame in to the food and especially drink products, even some medication. However, unless you know about aspartame you are not going to access this information in the first place so most people wouldn't know that it is there.

Caroline777

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I found this, not offering any opinion on my part but Healthy Food Guide here in NZ doesn't haven't any axe to grind or anything to gain, they are, as far as I am aware, an independent publication. Even if you are incensed by this, try to get to the end of it, the last paragraph is useful. :)

Just noticed the date of this article, it may not be the most up to date I suppose but does seem pretty comprehensive.

Hi Popsy and anyone else who want to find out more:

Here are some of the websites I went on – they have changed their websites somewhat now to when I last went on them but you can find a lot of stuff about Aspartame on them. Please remember I did months and months of research on this so do read as you can and you will be amazed and horrified at what you find here.

http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-information.html

http://www.healthy-holistic-living.com/aspartame-poison.html

http://www.healthy-holistic-living.com/aspartame-and-diabetes.html

http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame/

http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame/burdock/

http://thetruthaboutstuff.com/review1.html

Reactions: 4 people

Chri55y

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Physically not being able to do sports and exercise because of the pain. Being overweight. Not being able to stick to a diet.
There were no adequate test done and no adequate monitoring. It's very much an unknown. There is a belief that Aspartame has serious side effects. We now know for sure, that high fructose corn syrup is extremely bad and has contributed greatly in causing diabetes yet it has taken decades for this to come out in the wash. You should now know that all processed foods are bad - a lot contain high fructose corn syrup. So, do you really want to risk your health and support the b'stards making mega bucks and don't give a **** if your brain turns into a sponge ?
Well said Joe Sweatthang. I totally agree with you.

mrs gimli

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Racists or hatred. Disrespect for people.
I doubt one coke zero would kill us once every month or so

AngelaY

I don't know how uk is. But in US, I tend to use Splenda. Which is considered one of the top choice for diabetics.
If I really wanted something fizzy,
I would get club soda, cut some lemon, strawberry or raspberry ( I only eat berries and kiwis) put a pack or two of Splenda with some mint leaves . Last for a long time and very refreshing
Long ti

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App