I'm type 2 diabetic, currently taking Metformin and Gliclazide,

Taffhos

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm type 2 diabetic, currently taking Metformin and Gliclazide, I understand that there are restrictions placed on HGV and PCV Licences when on this type of medication, (licences only valid for 1, w or 3 years) are there any alternatives that do not place restrictions on your licence?, my doctor/diabetic nurse has told me not to test my blood sugar as provided I take the medications I will be fine, however I worry about my licence as it is my livelihood

I am 57, and overweight, however I do not drink and have never smoked

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Ask your doc/DN if they will indemnify you indefinitely for the loss of earnings when their advice causes you to lose your licence! When on Glic you should be testing at least every 2 hrs when driving.

mine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
i think the doctor is right. at 57 the doctor worried that patient goes into hypo.

FurryCub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Football
Check
https://www.gov.uk/diabetes-driving
That'll give you the most up to date details.
But in summary, if driving lorries while taking a sulphonylurea you must inform dvla. You must test twice daily and when driving, but as a bonus you must have sweets in your vehicle.

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
I'm type 2 diabetic, currently taking Metformin and Gliclazide, I understand that there are restrictions placed on HGV and PCV Licences when on this type of medication, (licences only valid for 1, w or 3 years) are there any alternatives that do not place restrictions on your licence?, my doctor/diabetic nurse has told me not to test my blood sugar as provided I take the medications I will be fine, however I worry about my licence as it is my livelihood

I am 57, and overweight, however I do not drink and have never smoked