Can a cold affect your bs?

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Am I right in assuming that a cold can affect your bs? My bs is 7.6 which is high for me. My chest feels tight and I sound like the woman out of the M&S advert and I've started coughing. Am on hols but at least it means not taking any more time off work!

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Unfortunately a cold or any illness can raise BG levels. Try not to let it worry you too much though as it is temporary and it will pass. Hope you feel better soon and it doesn't spoil your hols :)

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
It definitely can :)

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Had a cold and sore throat for over a week and blood sugars have been horrendous - all over the place day and night

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks everyone! Haven't ridden my bike today. Just a gentle stroll. Feel knacked!

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Scandi!

I have a cold right now - started suddenly with a sore throat in the middle of last Wednesday night - I didn't even know colds could start that suddenly - anyway, my BG has been horrendous, up and down like a yo-yo. 13.5 before tea for no reason and 12.5 after a tea of steak and veg stir-fry for which I took 5.5 units Apidra (would normally only need 2.5, so thought the additional 3 would bring the BG down nicely). Just taken another 2 units in the hope of seeing single figures sometime this evening :-(

So in answer to your question - a resounding 'Yes!' from me!

Smidge

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi Scandi!

I have a cold right now - started suddenly with a sore throat in the middle of last Wednesday night - I didn't even know colds could start that suddenly - anyway, my BG has been horrendous, up and down like a yo-yo. 13.5 before tea for no reason and 12.5 after a tea of steak and veg stir-fry for which I took 5.5 units Apidra (would normally only need 2.5, so thought the additional 3 would bring the BG down nicely). Just taken another 2 units in the hope of seeing single figures sometime this evening :-(

So in answer to your question - a resounding 'Yes!' from me!

Smidge
Total pain. Hope you get better soon! Bs settled throughout the day but weight still same :(

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You had a hypo last week, didn't you?

I have a totally unscientific, unproven and speculative theory that I become more vulnerable to viruses after a hypo. I often come down with something between 2 and 5 days of a low. It's one of the reasons that I try and take extra care for those few days; vit C and zinc, sambucol, echinacea, regular meals, lots of veg... Whatever floats your boat.

Consider it a virtual prescription!

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
You had a hypo last week, didn't you?

I have a totally unscientific, unproven and speculative theory that I become more vulnerable to viruses after a hypo. I often come down with something between 2 and 5 days of a low. It's one of the reasons that I try and take extra care for those few days; vit C and zinc, sambucol, echinacea, regular meals, lots of veg... Whatever floats your boat.

Consider it a virtual prescription!
Wouldn't surprise me in the least. Thank you!

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
can't remember of you're on insulin or not?

DAFNE would tell a T1 to up their basal dose, by 10% or so to start with during a cold if their BG starts to rise. Not sure if that would also be the advice for an insulin using T2

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
No. Statins and bp meds. BUT down from 3 metformin down to 1!
image.jpg

RLightning

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just keep fighting it. don't worry . Try to keep your diet in mind so that you won't lack in any vitamins or nutrition that might be essential to your current needs

BunnyBabe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Prejudice, Twilight and no snacks :(
I had a nasty cold and cough recently- my bloods were high and really struggled to get them to nice levels
I found that a brisk walk or playing with young brothers in the garden kept my bloods fairly low and not too out of range :)
Hope you feel better soon

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App