Is it worth having diabetic chocolate?

SophSmiles

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been told that you can only have a small amount as most diabetic sweets are laxatives because of the sweeteners, if you can only have a little bit is it worth having diabetic chocolate? Or better just having a small bit of proper chocolate?

bealily

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I hate diabetic chocolate and sweets... Also the side effects aren't great! So I would recommend just having a small amount of normal sweets or chocolate :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I wouldn't touch diabetic chocolate, and everyone is different but it's all about moderation most people can eat most things but in moderation

Type 2 diagnosed 24/01/2013.
Novomix 30, Victoza, metformin 2000mg sr (but not taking them as they play havoc with my insides,

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i found out the hard way (excuse the pun) what diabetic chocolate does lol

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find that a square of dark choc is much better than. Diabetic choc I like it melted and coating sim almonds or strawberries
CAROL

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Look in the pantry and see if your mum has cocoa powder, that makes a nice hot chocolate with a bit of vanilla concentrate and a drop or 2 of peppermint essence. make it with water and cream and it's so little carb, you don't need to count it

if you get the block of chocolate like 80%, most of those are low carb/sugar
you can also make a hot chocolate out of them too, melt a few squares of choc in some water in the microwave and add cream. It's about 6g of carbs

has anyone noticed I like hot chocolate?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
There is an Atkins bar that is just like Bounty. I keep mine in the freezer to make them last longer. You can get them at Boots and Asda etc with the diet foods. But I started by getting a whole box delivered by Amazon.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
1 teaspoon of virgin Coconut Oil [I get mine from an indian grocer and I'd use a good tablespoon of it]

1 cup of almonds or walnuts

1 cup of dates

3-4 tablespoons of raw cocoa powder

Shredded/dessicated coconut

Chop all ingredients in a food processor. Roll into small bite size balls and roll into shredded coconut. Place in the refrigerator for 15 minutes to set.

Last edited by a moderator:

SophSmiles

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My nana likes baking so I'm going to try a few different recipes with her, I'll definitely try them thanks :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I have been told that you can only have a small amount as most diabetic sweets are laxatives because of the sweeteners, if you can only have a little bit is it worth having diabetic chocolate? Or better just having a small bit of proper chocolate?

Keep well clear of the diabetic chocolate and just have a small amount of normal chocolate, as your a type 1 you can bolus for it anyway.

K

Kat100

There is an Atkins bar that is just like Bounty. I keep mine in the freezer to make them last longer. You can get them at Boots and Asda etc with the diet foods. But I started by getting a whole box delivered by Amazon.
Avid lite do a box as well , taste really nice , had them as a treat for Christmas x

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The XPert course I went on said it was best to avoid all products marketed as 'diabetic' as the chemicals added to supposedly reduce the sugar content were well worth avoiding. A smaller quantity of the real thing is much more preferable.

SandyDee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Also most diabetic products are higher in fat, put that together with the laxative effect and bad taste and it's a no-brainer. Give me a little bit of normal choc every time. As everyone else said dark choc is better for sugars than milk.

BunnyBabe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Prejudice, Twilight and no snacks :(
I was told to eat normal chocolate ( as part of a balanced diet) and account for it with insulin and eat it with meals instead of snacking on it x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mistyweather

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I wish that diabetic choc had the laxative effect on me, I would eat bars of it lol !!!