Omnipod

sconnelly1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I have been on my omnipod pump now for nearly three weeks. It has been tweaked several times up to now and still my Bg is still far too hi. I really thought I would see an improvement before now. Anyone else on this pump and could you give me any advise as I feel I'm flogging a dead horse at the moment . Thanks

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

I'm not on the same pump as you, but did experience a similar thing. My bg levels were high for a number of weeks after starting on a pump. As ever with diabetes it seems some things you just have to be patient with and work at, knowing that you will succeed in the end.

In my case it was the fact that I'd cut down on exercise in order to concentrate on getting consistency with the pump. When I started sport again, as if by magic, my numbers settled right down.

Have faith in your team and persevere... at least until someone with better advice arrives ;)

Sam.

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ha ... sconnelly1 - have a look at my signature. Haven't been on here for a couple of years and only just seen my last update.. kind of bears out what I said.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
what are your basal needs throughout the day......?

have you tested your basal.....

its always the first thing to look at.....?

:)

sconnelly1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks Sam been to see my DSN today and she said I have to be patient it's not going to happen over night. We talked about checking basal rates so yes that's my next step. Does anyone using this pump also find where the cannula goes in it gets red, itchy and sore come the second day??

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sometimes is feels like the DSN has a magic insight and weirdly, levels sort themselves out. :-S

Keep plugging away.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
that's good news your numbers are coming down..........

just shows you how important the basal is, its the most important thing in fact......

are you planning any basal testing then?

sammi4688

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi just been put on the Omnipod, yesterday, is it bad that already it is telling me to change as there is only 39u left????

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
How do you mean bad? Its just telling you that you've used up most of the insulin?

It makes no odds to being good or bad how much insulin you are pushing through any pump.. Just inconvenient if you have to sort the insulin out more frequently than 6 days.

On an accuchek pump you stand more chance of getting a bubble down the tubing if you let it run down too low on insulin. So I generally just put a new cartridge in when its down to 40 units or 6 days depending which is first. As ours can be filled to 315 and I'm barely using 26-30 units a day now then changing at 6 days is more frequent than it being under 40 units left...

Nothing bad as far as I know, its just telling you its getting emoty...

VWBE

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,
I am a parent of a child with type 1 diabetes using an Ominpod pump. He has pretty good control overall, particularly preventing lows but less so in controlling highs. We have resolved to maintain a better regime of testing but have heard that the NHS mau harbour concerns about the Omnipod delivering insulin free of air (bubbles,) which would therefore increase the risk of being unable to properly control high levels.

Has anyone else had issues in controlling highs with Omnipod?
Has anyone else heard about the NHS being concerned about the 'air' issue. All comments greatly appreciated...