Levemir

jackie21123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, just wondering what's the best time to give evening Levemir? At the moment my daughter gets it at 8am then again at 8 pm? We find that she wakes in double numbers was told to put up but that means she would be getting 31u, to me that seems a lot for a 10 year old.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, just wondering what's the best time to give evening Levemir? At the moment my daughter gets it at 8am then again at 8 pm? We find that she wakes in double numbers was told to put up but that means she would be getting 31u, to me that seems a lot for a 10 year old.

Have you tested during the night? She might be rebounding from a low whilst asleep.

deesmum44

Hi, not sure if this will be any help but our 6yr old daughter was on Levemir until about 2 weeks ago but at our last clinic visit it was suggested she change to Lantis once a day and is now having 8 units a day as opposed to 12 units of levemir (8 morn 4 night) . She was in double readings evenings and some hypos at night. Seems to have responded well to lantis and readings more in the 6-9 range with fewer overnight hypos. I hope this helps x

sameveamy

Treatment type
Insulin
I know it's a bit late to reply but my daughter has just been diagnosed with type1 diabetes. She takes her levemir at 8am and 5pm and so far so good

David147

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
The best is that you take injection levemir once a day only.
In general the dose is started as 10 units at bed time.
In your case there is no need to take it twice day.
You may take it in morning also as single dose.

Pilgrim22

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
animal cruelty
David147, please do not give unqualified medical advice. All we can do if either say what works for you, and say that, or "have you tried".....

zjed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Lazy Doctors and Endos
A lot of people take their basal insulin twice a day, including me. I take it at 7am/pm. I don't think changing times by an hour or so will make much difference.
I have tried both Levemir and Lantus and found that I needed slightly more Levemir for the same coverage as I get with Lantus (around 10%).
Make sure you are testing basal rates correctly, here's one link I know of.
http://www.salforddiabetescare.co.uk/index2.php?nav_id=1007
It could also be Dawn Phenomenon, I don't get this so I'm not sure of the ins and outs but I'm sure there's plenty of info if you have a look around.

Janette17

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
my wee girl 9 just recently diagnosed type 1 Xmas she only get Levimier at teatime and nova breakfast lunch and tea and always give supper about 9 slow acting like l was taught ie toast or digestive no major Lows at night so far x